This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   SPAWN FRAG THIS!!!
Irascible
posted October 28, 2001 09:44 PM            
Spawn frags bite. Fine. That's out of the way. Further more, I now commit to NEVER spawn frag in any game where there isn't too many people (unless they draw first blood... so to speak). Specifically, when I'm somewhere on a map relatively alone and someone spawns, I'll give him a few seconds at least (let the rocks fly from people that live in glass houses ).

BUT!!! Unless there is some massive conversion to religion, it simply ain't gonna happen in a DDM or any other game where you spawn in the middle of a bunch of tanks. I'm sure you've heard of someone getting mugged with a ton of people around doing nothing about it. The large numbers of people diffuses responsibility. Same thing in a game. I don't think anyone is making a point to spawn frag. But the overall mindset of most players in a DDM (I think) is to frag everything in site... including the occasional accidental frag of your own teammate.

I'm not saying it's good or right. But the odds of getting EVERYONE to agree to not spawn frag in a large game is next to nill. But please, prove me wrong. If everyone wants to try it, I'm there. Otherwise, get over it.

(I have a feeling I'm about to get toasted... hehe.)

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited October 28, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 28, 2001 10:02 PM            
I wasn't spawn killing but then after i let someone live they shot be twice with the pea shooter in the first game, and my gloves went off. I will never hold anything back in a DDM again. Outside a DDM I will not spawn kill either, but in a DDM anything is fair game.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted October 28, 2001 10:23 PM            
im with coax

IP:

Neo
posted October 28, 2001 11:20 PM            
This is a subject that has been crossing my mind a lot lately. Coax touched on one of the most bothersome aspects of spawnkilling...

A lot of people have been complaining about spawnkilling, but no one seems to have mentioned the act of "kill-spawning"--the opposite of spawnkilling. I would describe this as any time a player spawns and then immediately frags any unsuspecting player nearby. E.g., when one pops out of the sky, lands on, say, a cruise missle, and fires it at the person who was righteously neglecting to spawnkill him. This can be very annoying, especially when one was trying very hard to avoid making a spawnkill, or when one is about to obtain the very weapon that is subsequently used to frag them.

So who's to say who gets to fire first? The person who gets the first shot usually has the advantage (disorientation of opponent). The obvious dilemma is that if you allow a person to get a weapon, it's likely that they're going to frag you with it.

So until there is some degree of invincibility and inabilty to fire associated with every spawn, I agree with coax and everyone else here. Since it is impossible to control for spawnkilling and killspawning, it should be allowed, at least in DDMs. This should prove to be the most impartial and fair solution for everyone. This way, those who wish to practice spawnkilling can feel free to do so, but at the same time, they are vulnerable to it themselves.

This should help prevent unfair people from winning simply due to the nobility and sportsmanship of other players.

IP:

Vlad
posted October 29, 2001 12:34 AM            
Boy, this subject sure has been bounced around a lot on servers recently...

Personally, if I've got a flamer, cruise missile, nuke, etc and you spawn next to me... well, you'll be spawning somewhere else pretty soon (not counting lousy aim, of course). As has been mentioned, there's no way to really get everybody to agree on what to do, and you run the risk of the person who you just let live come back and splatter you. So to simplify, I say we fire at who we can, when we can.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 29, 2001 03:16 AM            
I'm with Ras, but apparently enough of the rest of you aren't. I let people live when I could toast them and got f@#$ed for it three times in short order.
So, sadly, I'll play as an AI when I join a DDM, you can't expect an AI not to frag you or die trying to frag you.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
http://www.ssgnet.com

IP:

Irascible
posted October 29, 2001 03:39 AM            
Thanks Vor. Actually, with some very minor differences, I think so far were all on pretty much the same page.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 29, 2001 05:02 AM            
It's a no win situation so I just say do what you want to.You leave a spawn alone 99% of the time that spawn kills you or damages you pretty good.
You spawn kill and the person usually gets pissed off at you.Sometimes they don't.I wish everyone didn't spawn kill,but I'm not going to keep losing frags because I practice it and get fagged for doing so.
If you spawn in the middle of a gunfight then yeah,your likley to get hit.I DO sometimes get pissed off when I'm dead the second I hit the ground(especially in DDM's)but most of the time I don't care getting spawn fragged.Like I said before.....most of the time you'll spawn a safe ditance away from the action.Not really any need to get pissed off when you occasionally spawn in front of somebody who frags you.You're going to get pissed off when you try to let somebody have a chance and they frag you and you're going to get pissed off when you die the second you hit the ground...so unless there is something written into the game that allows you to be invincible for a few seconds,you might as well do whatever you want to.To spawn frag or not to spawn frag.....that is the question that.........

IP:

Karldar
posted October 29, 2001 07:55 AM            
I say kill 'em all and let the pie sort 'em out! Seriously, tho-several of my good deeds the past few days have not gone unpunished. I thought about sayin' somethin' to the fraggers a couple times, but I'm playin' to have fun and enjoy all the facets of the game. Spawnkilling seems to be one of those facets(esp. in DDM's) so we might as well embrace it, I guess. I know there have been many times when a teammate has spawned over me and I've shot them just as a reflex action. Personally, if it's a small match(9-10 peeps) I like to give fresh spawns and chatters a wide berth even if there's a weapon/spanners that I want right there. When a server starts gettin' crowded it seems that avoiding spawns just sends you into a more dangerous situation half the time. Might as well frag away. I think the most skilled players will still come out ahead...not me obviously-LOL.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

KONG
posted October 29, 2001 08:08 AM            
LOL

IP:

Rex R
posted October 29, 2001 12:35 PM            
I try to wait till they start moving then start firing. think most of the complaints come from ppl who were not quite ready to spawn. say for example you've just been fragged so you take a mental step back and check the real world(just to make sure the house isn't burning whatever) then you spawn boom.

IP:

JVortex
posted October 29, 2001 01:02 PM            
when someone spawns near me i normally run away, tho not exactly in fear . i wander off to go find another tank to play with. that gives the spawning person a minute to orentate themselves and get armed. and besides that im not all that good of a player, id rather take off to find a burning tank somewhere than face the full health one, hehe.

if i happen to see that newly spawned tank on my radar following me tho ill turn around and attack.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

A2597
posted October 29, 2001 02:57 PM            
how about spawn-kill-spawns?

as in, I spawn, land, and another tank lands on top of me? had it happen. I had cocs though, and took him out. either way, we JUST landed, we had both spawned almost at the same time, and we both laughed at it, thats the main thing.
(The sad thing was, in that same game, after I was fraged, I landed on top of a nuke, shot it, and a shadow summoned right where I was, turned into a frag fest in my fravor, though I STILL lost by ten fraggs!!!

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

Paranor
posted October 29, 2001 03:24 PM            
During the DDM it's mostly impossible to avoid that. However, when it's 2 tanks in the middle of nowhere then it's in bad taste. I think eventually everyone gets to understand how uncool it is and stops. I've been noticing that lately.

What really is annoying is spawning on plasma mines.

However, I will continually spawn kill DNX Tiggs until I stop playing this game.

IP:

Sephiroth
posted November 04, 2001 04:28 PM            
I say whether they have just spawnd in front of me or not the best think to do is blast em
of the face of the earth because if you wana win you gota blast, blast, BLAST everything

remember big wepon=BIG boom

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted November 04, 2001 07:08 PM            
As I am against spawn-killing, I have always felt that I should earn my frag. Not taking advantage of a fresh spawn when they are not expecting it. But, it seams that almost everyone is in favor of spawn killing. So I will just jump on the band wagon and frag everything in site.

Paranor, thanks for supper last night and BRING IT ON!!!!

IP:

Rex R
posted November 05, 2001 03:39 AM            
you know whats lower than respawn fragging. fragging someone while they are still connecting during tonites DDM (come to think of it all ddm's) I doubt that I have ever managed to connect with out being fragged in the process. get the black screen that says map loaded(or some such) then the game pops up and all I see is a flag waving from the ground. so could we get the start delay set to 60 sec.s for ddm's

IP:

Karldar
posted November 05, 2001 01:40 PM            
Here, here, Rex! I hope I didn't frag u while u were connecting, but I know that I accidentally got a couple pot shots in on ya before I realized what was going on. Played against ya enuff times I shoulda known better LOL. I wouldn't mind waitin' a bit to start for the sake of slow-connectors. What about ever'body else...?

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted November 05, 2001 01:44 PM            
Yes count down should be at 30secs.

And after the came it should be at 30 secs too. I missed screen grab #2 becuase i took to long to take my pic.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted November 05, 2001 02:22 PM            
I have to say that my views appear to agree with the consensus. Most of the time if I am near someone as they spawn, and I don't shoot them, I end up suffering. I have tried giving them the first shot, waiting until they move, and/or just running away, but nearly every time I do that, I am dead and they are alive very soon.
Having said that, I apologize to whomever it was I spawn fragged last night who called me on it. I think it was Venom.
So if I have offended anyone with my indiscretions, sorry, but I can't say I won't do it again.
mELONcRACKER

[This message has been edited by mELON cRACKER (edited November 05, 2001).]

IP:

Irascible
posted November 05, 2001 08:38 PM            
If it was Venom, don't worry about it. He's half my age, has a serious chance of making a much better life for himself than I did (if he listens to even half of what I tell him) and is my brother. So of course, I hate him . Please spawn frag him at will.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted November 07, 2001 12:06 PM            
Thanks, Ras. Next time I see Venom I will have at it.
By the way, were you in the Navy? Off topic, but I thought I read that somewhere in one if your posts.
mELON cRACKER

IP:

Venom
posted November 07, 2001 06:45 PM            
Ras? In the Navy? HAH!!!

IP:

Karldar
posted November 07, 2001 07:34 PM            
You might be thinkin' of SuperUnknown, mELON-or Sailor-or both . I'm Army-and KONG, too, I think. Prolly more current/ex-military than that, but I can't remember any others at the moment.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 07, 2001 08:26 PM            
I was..........only did 4 years and got out almost 4 years ago.I was a Sonar Techinican in a Fast Attack Submarine.Sailor was career I think.He did the whole thing.Retired.
Then you got KONG,JV,And Karldar who were Army.And of course you have Turdheart working for the Air Force.I haven't really understood his position.Don't no if he is civilian or works for the DOD.
Those are the only ex or current miltiary I know of.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3