|
Author Topic:   Server port problem
VorDesigns
posted October 19, 2001 07:19 PM            
Hi,
I setup a server and it runs fine, but it shows funny on the Internet server list (ping0, funky port) and so nobody is getting in unless they read my message about removing the port.
Any suggestions?

Vortex the Barabarian

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 19, 2001 11:26 PM            
Can't answer your question but I'm sure somebody can.Anyway,welcome to the community and thx for trying to run a server for everybody.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 20, 2001 03:33 PM            
I have that problem if you are running behind a "true" firewall (i.e. pix or checkpoint1 and not a PC based firewall like zonealarm) and don't open up UDP type of packets instead of TCP for the ports that you are using in the dedicated.cfg file.

if it's a personal firewall then dunno.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 20, 2001 05:45 PM            
Hi,

I'm running behind a real firewall, but I opend both TCP and UDP for the range specified in the server.cfg even as advised for a firewall. What wasn't mentioned was 'ping' need to be open as well.
What is really weird is that the Internet gameserver shows a really weird port connection with the IP listing. If you remove that, it works. The pings, I don't know.
Thanks for the reply

IP:

Neo
posted October 23, 2001 09:08 PM            
I don't know if anyone's noticed--I've been trying to run a server but I've been having a similar (or the same) problem.

Robu1 told me that my server doesn't ping back (ping = 0), but appears on the TM master list.

I am on my university's LAN, and I'm pretty sure they run a firewall. Can I still run a server? How do I change to UDP packets?! I'm not a network admin!!

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 23, 2001 09:51 PM            
Ya know, im hearing the same things over and over, and frankly I don't know why nobody listened to me when I stated this.

"Quote"
I was thinking about the many people who have the same type of internet connection as I do. by the way if you don't know wht way i'm talking about go to,
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001280.html

Ya see unless I did somthing real crazy that COULD mess up my dad's, mom's, and my connection to the internet, that would allow me to become a dedicated sever, I rather do this, also i'm not ready to die. You have probably heard of napster and audiogalaxy which is what I use, to get music. Well they are two programs that work the same way. Instead of using an IP address to connect computers for music swaping, they use the software that you download to connect with other computers. Well I thought that would be a good Idea for TM. That way people with my sort of internet connection could become a sever. Plus, we could swap game files like napster swaps music. This means that I could send someone a 20mb mod of course with his or her permission and a code that only last for a day and they could be playing me at the same time. Well, it sounded good to me.

Now this is pure genius.

------------------
Sushi

[This message has been edited by NeoKi (edited October 23, 2001).]

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 23, 2001 10:26 PM            
Neoki,

OK, I pulled the salient information from the rant,
'Basically, what you want to do is go into the router settings, and under forwarding select the port range 12000-13000 and have it forward to the internal IP address of your machine'.
This is divergent from what the server.cfg files says,
'#Port addresses. For firewalls or proxy servers, it's best to
#allow access on all ports from 12300 through 12499.
ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499'.
I allow access routed to the game server for ports 12300-12499 both TCP and UDP. I added ping before Louie could connect outside of our VPN connection (another real firewall issue I'm sure).
I'd like to note that your directions infringe on several known ports that are reserved for specfic traffic:
entextxid 12000/tcp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA XID Exchange
entextxid 12000/udp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA XID Exchange
entextnetwk 12001/tcp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Network Priority
entextnetwk 12001/udp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Network Priority
entexthigh 12002/tcp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS High Priority
entexthigh 12002/udp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS High Priority
entextmed 12003/tcp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Medium Priority
entextmed 12003/udp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Medium Priority
entextlow 12004/tcp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Low Priority
entextlow 12004/udp IBM Enterprise Extender SNA COS Low Priority
#Eugene Cox <genecox@raleigh.ibm.com>
But who's complaining, I'd just like people to have no problem connecting to my server when I put it up.
It would be nice if someone from the LDA community could shed some light on this.

RE: Tim
aka Vortex the Barbarian.

IP:

KONG
posted October 23, 2001 10:35 PM            
start a new thread and they might see it

title it: hey LDA , or something like that

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 23, 2001 10:36 PM            
This one is for Neo,

First, if the university allows this kind of traffic !!FIND OUT!! the only real problem is whether or not you are using static IP and if the MIS department has the skill necessary to configure the firewall.
If it's a PIX firewall (see big pipe valve), the configuration would be tedious (see please bribe with administrators favorite brand of scotch). The more simplistic the the firewall equipment, sometimes the more difficult to configure.
Bottom line, find out if it is ok with the school administrator and then plead your case to the MIS department.
Also, if some of the ports are in use you could be sol.
Good luck and I'll post when I figure out what the ports should be (if I figure it out).

aka Vortex the Barbarian

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 24, 2001 10:13 AM            
Vor - 12300-12499 does NOT interrupt communicatiosn on those other ports you mentioned. Look over the numbers again

Your network situation sounds kinda complex - could you describe it in a bit more detail?

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 24, 2001 11:13 AM            
Kaeto,

My network isn't all that complex it's just I use my firewall to route ports around.
I have routed the ports listed in the dedicated.cfg to the game server.
the network topology is straight TCP/IP with two production NT servers, three to five workstations and one test NT server.
When I first setup the game server it showed on the LDA listing server but of course noine could get to it because of the firewall.
I added the ports to the firewall first TCP, then UDP and tested w/Smokin-LOU, no go. I added ping and routed it to the game server and it works as long as you remove the port that lists on the LDA listing server.
When I run the server it always shows a funny port number and never shows a ping rate.
If you need more information, let me know.
I pulled the other port information from a post that Neoki put out months ago. When I scanned what they were doing, that was what I found.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 24, 2001 11:13 AM            
I'm lost as to who is having problems and with what. I have a firewall so I'm sure I can help.

I have UDP open on ports 12499, 12300 and 12350 - I don't use a "range" like the dedicated.txt file says as a recommendation.

And I believe VorDesign found out you also need the ping port open.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 24, 2001 12:33 PM            
Paranor,

I (Vortex the Barbarian) am having a problem.
---------------
I've moded the firewall to just the three UDP ports and of course left ping as/is.
Will try again later today.
What I'm not real clear on is that the LDA game server shows 56XX range ports on my game server connection string in the listing body and ping = 0.
That is what started this.

------------------
Echoes from the Void http://www.ssgnet.com

IP:

Paranor
posted October 24, 2001 03:54 PM            
Assuming I read your web site correctly (briefly read it) you do ERP implementations?

I've done 2 installs of JDE OneWorld. Enough to lose your hair and take your frustrations out on...ahh... tanks!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 29, 2001 03:03 AM            
Hi,
I modified the firewall limiting to just the 3 ports, both tcp and udp.
I left ping as is.
It stills shows funny on the game server.
So, my assumption is that the game server has problems with NAT, really I haven't got a clue.
It runs 4:00P to 6:00A Pacific (standard or savings, whatever that may be).
I'm posting the IP, 24.24.141.163, if/when it changes, I'll post again.
You should know the port.
I'm going to stop showing it on the game server. Nobody reads the comment and my firewall log fills up with dropped connections.
Wish I could get this problem solved.

IP: