This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Here's my rant that comes when the servers are empty;)
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 10, 2001 04:24 AM            
Is it just me or have there been almost no players on in the evenings the last week or two?I usually get on after I get home from work and wind down a bit and I usually find a few on a server then.But latley I've been finding all servers empty when I show up in the evening.So............here it comes again.Make an effort to play on the servers.Some of u guys are not looking forward to TM on the PS2 but I am most certainly.I might actually find people playing then.I'm not asking you guys to play 3 hours everynight.Just play.The end

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 10, 2001 11:07 AM            
here here !

IP:

Kevlar
posted October 10, 2001 11:51 AM            
I agree, I started using the TM Master Client to check for players. I started a game and had to leave, when I got back nobody was there. I usually play AI's for a while so that somebody will see a human and join.

BTW SU, what is PS2?

IP:

Throckmorton
posted October 10, 2001 01:02 PM            
I find that if I sign on to one of the servers when they are all empty, others join within 10 to 20 minutes. I think many people check the servers, and if nobody is there (except AI) they bag out and play offline or go do something else. They join if somebody else is already there.

So here is what I propose: SIGN ON ANYWAY. Even if you are the only one please sign on and play. Someone will join you shortly. It always works for me. It just takes one guy to start it.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 10, 2001 01:21 PM            
PS2 = Play Station 2

IP:

=DNX=goku
posted October 10, 2001 03:31 PM            
hay where do you get that TM amster client thingy anyways

------------------
KameHaMeHa boom!!! you all are gone hehe

IP:

Kevlar
posted October 10, 2001 05:39 PM            
Goku, I got it here: BWL Site

Click on ''The Game'', then ''Downloads'', it'll be at the top.

IP:

MexIndian
posted October 10, 2001 07:30 PM            
OK yall, I'm trying to join a server, but there's several players in several servers. So unless you have your heart set on one server, please serve the common good and join the server that's allready got someone there, no?

IP:

KONG
posted October 10, 2001 08:26 PM            
wow, finally he posts. welcome mexindian

IP:

KONG
posted October 10, 2001 10:25 PM            
guess everyone is just busy. I have been lately.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 10, 2001 10:52 PM            
#1-I usually do play a game or two on the same server if nobody is on.Your right,most of the time people will join if you stay on a server for a bit.
2#When I see people scattered on different servers, I usually get on the server that they are on and ask them if they'd like to go to another server.In other words I try to get everybody to play on the same server which usually works.
I just think people get tired of playing the game and need some encouragment to start playing again.I've noticed a patern and I can't put my finger on the cause.We usually have a month where it's easy to fond people on followed by a month when you can't find anybody.Thats when you here from me I've always played often and I don't get tired of it.I guess it's just me though.TM actually helps me to relax and take my mind off things,plus I like the competivness of the game.I'm wating for the day that I can go to the master server and see servrs full of happy,addicive players I wonder if LDA is working on something for TM now.I think we might need something to spice things up so dormant players will start playing again.I know they were working on the 3D terrain at one time............................

IP:

KONG
posted October 10, 2001 11:12 PM            
I think that its time for an update?

been trying to make tunnels for ny maps. guess i just dont have the skills. i understand the concept , but i just cannot get it to work.

if some of you guys need some motivation, watch the movie- full metal jacket. R Lee Ermy should have gotten an oscar for his performance.

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited October 10, 2001).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 11, 2001 04:30 AM            
I be back!!

Okay...so some of you missed me while I was gone. That's great. Now I'm back to kick...er, get fragged again. I'm on a server...where are you? Probably asleep...LOL!!

Looking forward to figuring out how this game with this thingeemabob works....

BamZipPow
...how things get fragged

IP:

Paranor
posted October 11, 2001 10:12 AM            
Hey BZP!

I play 3-4 times per week during lunch and 1-3 times per week at night. Had fun last night on Kasplatt. Haven't played on that server since JV came out with those still freaking cool klingon/enterprise tanks.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 11, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted October 12, 2001 06:08 AM            
I am usually on playing almost everynight. Kids goto bed and I have about 2-3 hours before I go to bed. I was surprised to see only a couple people playing Wed. night. Anyway, I love this game and I will continue to play this game almost everynight until I get a girl friend. Then it will probaly be only a couple nights a week.

IP:

Karldar
posted October 12, 2001 08:57 AM            
Well, I'm finally gettin' tired of DII:LOD and would like to play more, but I just started workin' 3rd shift a couple weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll be on some this wkend. Man, I definitely need the practice....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 16, 2001 10:20 PM            
*REALLY REALLY PO'ED*
SOMEONE PLEAAAAAASEEEE TELL ME WHY I CAN'T GET ANYTHING FROm THE MASTER SERVER!!! I have tried every day, and it's almost like as if the time I try is exactly when it cuts off... and I can't play any games with Tread Marks until I get the server... I'm really gettin' suicidal here: CAN SOMEONE POST WHEN THEY CAN GET THE SERVER AND wHAT THE IP ADDRESS IS?!?!?!?!?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm gonna tear my HAIR out! I did all this work to get satellite connection and go as far as to install windows AGAIN just so that I can play Tread Marks and I'd really not like life to end so soon!!! *Holds a banana to his chest*

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT MAN!

IP:

KONG
posted October 16, 2001 11:18 PM            
master server-216.101.212.117

or try straight to this server-
146.6.118.73:12300

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 16, 2001 11:20 PM            
Kong,is said that idea about tunneling before.I mean an actual tunnel where you are covered 360 degrees by dirt.Nobody did anything though.I think it would add a great eliment to the game especially CTF.I also has the ideas of adding buildings so when you play CTF you don't just drive up and take the flag,you have to detroy a buildings.generators,turrents to get to it.I've been playing the Tribes 2 demo quite a bit latley(even though I usually don't like FPS's)and I have to say I really like the game and the teamwork that is involved to capture a flag.No lone man can go in and take the flag(well,you could but it'd be really hard if the other team has defenses set up)without the help of other team members.If I ever learn how to mod I'm going to get my inspiration from other game sucesses.The oportunities are endless if they can be incorperated into TM.Like I have and idea for a remote sentry gun,mines,the ablitiy to heal other players,true sniping weapons,generators that power base defenses(turrents)ect..Put all of that stuff together and you have a hell of a CTF match.I know this should have went into the mod forum but I'd like input from everybody.

IP:

Vlad
posted October 16, 2001 11:32 PM            
After doing some discussion with JVortex about his racing pack, I've been putting some serious thought into a CTF pack as well. A few things that came to mind:

New and better maps: A few of the LDA CTF maps are a little annoying to play on (Red Oval and Temple spring most of all), and a lot of the user maps are pretty cool (Pyramid's an excellent CTF map). It'd be nice to see some sort of unified ctf map pack.

Tank "classes." The idea came to me while playing on the old modded tank/map server. Using LordDrow's Baneblade for defense was a great double edged sword. You could take a heck of a beating, and blow any individual tank away that tried to go for the flag, but it was easy to get swamped, and once a tank got the flag, there was no way to catch up to them. It'd be neat to make something similar for TM, like making the Claymore a defense tank (high armor, lower speed, more powerful gun), similar in role to the Heavy Weapons Guy in TFC. A medic/resupply tank would be easy to do. You could make a tank that fired either ammo, health, or a combination ammo/health pickup. Give it lower armor, but a higher speed, and that should balance it out. A flag raiding party could have a support tank in the group, and the lower armor would make it a prime target for any defenders.

CTF weapons: A sentry gun MAY be possible through creative ent use, but I haven't experimented yet. A few weapons could use some modifications, though. In the name of balance, maybe the Nuke/Matter missile should have their crater/mountain eliminated. Certain maps are a little too dependant on terrain for defense, and one team getting a lucky nuke shouldn't be able to eliminate that so quickly. Personally, I think that the Minethrower, Acid Cloud, and Peacekeeper would be great CTF weapons as well.

IP:

peeeto
posted October 16, 2001 11:39 PM         
unfortunately, "real" caves are just not possible in TM... without some (i think) major changes to the code.

buildings and turrets are, however doable. for destructible buildings, make a new type of tank that looks like a building, doesn't move or make noise, and doesn't shoot (like on the training maps).
and, make the respawn time for that tank VERY large (if you can do that for a specific spawn point without affecting others, which i think you can do now in TM)

for a pillbox, make a new tank that can't move, but has a turret & can shoot. make that spawn point (or another at the same location) repeatedly spawn ammo boxes and nothing else, and tweak the re-spawn time for the pillbox as desired.

the only thing is that you would have to make all of that team (humans and pillbox) spawn at that location... and you would probably have to either allow only metal tanks to play on the map - all humans would have to change to liquid tanks to play (the only metal "tank" would be the pillbox, so the AI's would end up being pillboxes).

some things that LDA would have to enable to make the pillbox thing work REALLY well is to enable specified spawn points to spawn specific types of tanks for the AI's, so you have control over where the pillboxes come up.

also, it would be great to specify different levels of intelligence for different AI's.

*** come to think of it, that would make games against AI's more interesting: allow a range of intelligence to be chosen by the player (or server op) for the AI's. that way, a player can't always know how the AI's are going to act...

IP:

Dudymas
posted October 17, 2001 09:04 PM            
Nothing... KONG... when do you get on the server, usually?

IP:

KONG
posted October 17, 2001 09:21 PM            
here and there, i dont play much anymore.

but it was working at the time i posted
does your connection have some kind of built in firewall?
is the connection timing out? or you cannot connect at all?

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited October 17, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 17, 2001 10:16 PM            
I never thought of it like that Peeeto...make s perfect sense though.To have a sentry gun as a tank that can't move and i guess it could either be bot or human controlled.Make the tank in the shape of a bunker or something and maybe give it a default modded weapon(or maybe the Avenger that is turrent and not tank mounted and has unlimited ammo_ cause I don't think the 120 has enough range or power to defend a base.
Maybe we could get LDa to make the code public?Like I said,I've never modded before so I don't know what can or can't be done.
Hehe,if all of this stuff can come together right we'll have people playing CTF all the time and not DDM.I have a question,can you basically import models from other games into TM?I know it'd have to be altered a bit.Or do you basically have to build everything from the ground up unless it's using something already on the server?
Donsen't the game have landmarks in the same place all the time.If you could make a landmark into a fortress somehow..............and move it to a stategic position.....

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 17, 2001 10:18 PM            
Oh yeah.can somebody post a step by step process in the mod porum on how you mod?Like take me through the steps as if you were going to make a new weapon or alter a tank?Details too.Don't assume that I know something already
Thanks

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2