|
Author Topic:   Weapon choices in DDM with 20 people
Throckmorton
posted October 01, 2001 08:54 PM            
Longish post. Beware of the rantings of an old windbag...

I've been running a dedicated server "throck and roll" with an experimental set up where there are no "fire and forget" weapons (no mirv, no nukes, no chaos, no cruise). This was in response to my continuing frustration with large matches where I would be just about to kill someone, and I get killed by someone who isn't even nearby. I thought that I could test this idea awhile, and see what I and others thought of it.

I think removing these weapons for DDM would be interesting. I will set up my server Tuesday night for DDM with this experimental set up and call it "You gotta Aim: unofficial DDM". TM-Community, let me know what you think if you get a chance to try it.

My Deep Thoughts:
Advantages
This Gotta Aim set-up makes luck much less of a factor. (For instance, if you get chaos and can reload it once of twice you usually win the round whether you can play well or not.)
You don't ever die unless someone who you can shoot back at kills you. Think about that.
It demands carefull attention to aiming and range to use the available weapons, so the best players will naturally rise to the top.

Disadvantages:
Beginners don't score too well, given that they never get any cheap-quick kills from the "Fire and forget" weapons.
There are less frantic-battles-at-a-spawn-spot that just spawned a cruise or nuke. Sometimes this mad dash to kill the other guy while quickly using up your ammo so YOU get the nuke is fun. It's part of TM, but not so much with these test changes.

OTHER disadvantages and advantages are left for you the community to figure out and post here while we discuss these ideas.

If you have read this far, and you have tried my server and didn't like it, please just post a "naw, not for me" post so I don't have to *assume* that a lack of response means people don't like this setup.

Signed, =DNX=Throckmorton
an old man who shoots off turrets, and shoots off his mouth.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 01, 2001 09:12 PM            
fire n forget weapons look nice - but again im against them - as we used to say in bz "get a ship that requires aiming skill u no good lamer" lol

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted October 01, 2001 09:23 PM            
I think its a good idea. Just to see who has the talent and does not. I think a DDM in this style is well worth a try. I will check out your server sometime soon.

IP:

TurdHeart
posted October 01, 2001 09:25 PM            
Definitely a good idea, but not really for me. The thing that originally attracted me to TM is that it's so darn silly! The chaotic's a little much sometimes, but I love the nukes and cruises. I swear I still laugh out loud when I get obliterated by a nuke, and I'm a big fan of crazy servers with nutsoid (i.e. "unfair") addons - like that tri-nuke and some of Oli's mods.

I could probably do okay, but I'm not sure a pure strategy game would keep my interest.

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 01, 2001 10:14 PM            
TM is a very balanced game and really isn't a game of skill:

One of the main factors of TM is revenge, without CM's, nukes, wasp or other weapons of that sort, it makes it harder to get revenge

Two: it's just more fun with them

And three, wht is it with you and aiming, it seems that-thats the only thing you talk about. Of course, this is only an opinion.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Irascible
posted October 01, 2001 11:14 PM            
I liked the idea and have been on your server. The problem that I've had several times on your server is the lag that seems to usually develop when too many people get on. Yet lots of people is precisely what's needed to truly test the idea out. I don't think I'm the only one that has had the lag problem... Anyway, this is not a serious complaint Throck - since after all, you're donating your resources just as the others do. I do appreciate your efforts. Just letting you know.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 01, 2001 11:20 PM            
i agree with your concerns - one good nuke can add 4-6 frags to your count.

but that's also the best part. do you get a nuke? are there enough enemies together? are you an idiot like me and only get 1? the silliness as TurdHeart put it makes the ddm the challenge/fun it is. at least that's what i think.

I tried your server and for some reason any server I was on was laggy. must be having problems with road runner because my brother on the other side of the city was having problems too.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 02, 2001 01:06 AM            
I have to disagree Neoki...TM is a game of skill.I think you'll realize that once you have gotten to the point where you are ranked in the Top 10 DDM players...or when you get to the point that you resonibly good.It's a matter of using you wits and the best attack technique with the weapon that you are carrying.Also taking into consideration the weapon that your target is carrying,his skill level,and finding a way to beat him to the punch or avoid his punch TM is very much a game of skill and maybe luck to some degree.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted October 02, 2001 06:06 PM         
I am up for trying a "fire and forget" DDM with one difference - The Wasps are required! I know the guidance is pretty good but you are not guaranteed a kill with them by any means. The Shadow has always been a lame weapon, and dropping the big missles will no doubt decrease lag. The CM is a lot of fun but not a critical weapons.

It IS skill! It IS luck! It IS connection speed! It IS just a game

IP: