|
Author Topic:   DDM pics - 30 Sept 2001 ;)
TurdHeart
posted September 30, 2001 09:50 PM            
Hi all - new pics are up: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/reavie/treadmarks/treadmarks.htm
right column, bottom.

Good fun, despite all the cussin' and such - the swisscheese terrain was getting crazy!

Sorry for stealing the last frag coax. Yeah, I s*ck.
Spawn kills abounded too - I got smashed down quite a few times before I even knew what was going on. I guess with that many people you often end up spawning in the middle of a big cluster of poo.

Vegeta got something like an 8-kill nuke in game 2? Beauty!

IP:

desolation1900
posted October 01, 2001 08:07 AM            
Yes the spawn kills were quite abundant, and mainly from the people who were swearing I may add. Relationship to immature playing? Hmm..

Of course it brings the question, how long after one has spawned are they considered open season?

It was a good game, and my machine didn't crash once! It is amazing how when we all get together in a game that large (or like last week) that by the end of the match there is nothing left of the level but huge lakes and swiss cheese islands. I spent a good amount of time wishing my tank would flip back over a bit quicker. And I only yelled at it once.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 01, 2001 09:39 AM            
Yes, vegata nailed 'em good while I only got one. ONE! ONE! First game had 4 on a nuke but second game ONE! HOW EMBARASSING!

Yeah, what's up with the swearing? That is sad too see - now I have to debate if I should allow my son to play because some peeps decide to act dumb.

IP:

Rex R
posted October 01, 2001 12:42 PM            
think the game imposes about 2-4 sec delay before any pickup weap will fire so if you spawn and get a weap, for about 3sec you can't shoot. I'ld say give them a couple of seconds before you shoot.

IP:

Neo
posted October 01, 2001 01:39 PM            
I'm glad this came up. Spawnkilling is one of my biggest pet peeves in the game.

I admit that I have committed my own fair (unfair) share of spawnkills in my day. It seems to be a very natural reaction sometimes; you see an enemy pop up in front of you, and you shoot. It's partly self-defense, partly self-advancement, partly target practice.

I notice that someone often spawns on top of a weapon I was trying to get; my natural instinct is to start firing right away, before they begin to destroy me instead. Sometimes the instinct takes control and I actually frag the person before they have a chance to do anything; this was actually a strategy of mine when I played in the NGI demo. I started to feel more guilty about it as I became more confident in my playing ability. Lately I have been committing as few of these spawnkills as possible. Sometimes, it just happens by reaction; nevertheless, I'm fairly certain that I don't purposely target freshly spawned characters anymore.

Instead, what I often do is simply cut around the person who just spawned. I can usually get up a good enough distance to give the player a fair chance to prepare. Once they start to engage me, I turn around and engage them back.

In last night's DDM, I noticed myself come about 2/3 of the way to spawnkilling someone. I ceased fire and said, "sorry ____" (no name mentioned). I disengaged him and began to back off. At that time, a weapon spawned, and the player fragged me with my back turned. I found this a bit upsetting, but I think that I would have done the same thing if someone almost spawnkilled me.

I did notice a considerable amount of spawnkilling last night. I'm probably guilty of at least one myself, and I apologize if that's the case.

I think it would be nice if we could all make a concentrated, civilized effort to reduce the number of spawnkills/spawndeaths. We do it for foul language.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted October 01, 2001 01:41 PM         
Is it possible to make spawning tank invincible and non - firing for 5 seconds? That way they can get a weapon and line up while the camper can either get ready or run

IP:

Neo
posted October 01, 2001 04:24 PM            
That's exactly what I was thinking...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 01, 2001 05:39 PM            
spawn killing neo is how i got my 2nd place finish. I really-really-really didn't want too. he was so close to beating Turdheart I wanted him to win But, he was always in just the right position that would make it so easy to kill him I couldn't resist. Sorry Neo. I was like a carnivore after a week of fasting, "give me the meat"

This happened on 4+ occasions in the third game in a 3-4min period

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Kegel
posted October 01, 2001 06:13 PM         
SK'ing is all part of the game....jsut like campers are in HL. God I love em!

IP:

Irascible
posted October 01, 2001 07:18 PM            
Weatherman has a good question/idea. Or, is it possible for spawning to automatically take place a safe distance away from other players? Even in crowded maps there's usually someplace that isn't too populated.

IP:

Neo
posted October 01, 2001 07:57 PM            
It wasn't just you coax, there were others. Honestly I didn't mind so much that you had done it, cause I'd never really seen you do it before. Don't worry about it. I was more upset over being ousted in that 2nd game. Oh and never catching up in the 3rd, too...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 01, 2001 09:16 PM            
parnor - id say let ya son play - theres very few swearers in tm...... and thak the lord 4 that much - if u ever try quake/unreal/cs/rogue spear/ bz1 or 2 and a multitude of other games the swearing is quite abundent -= tm is proably the cleanest game ever !

IP:

Paranor
posted October 01, 2001 11:06 PM            
this is the only game he's allowed to play. i can imagine the other games.

i'll just keep an eye out for those few bad apples and do that "dad" thing by not letting him play.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 01, 2001).]

IP: