|
Author Topic:   Practice 2v2s
Robu1
posted September 29, 2001 01:29 PM            
I don't know about anybody else, but I really like the 2v2 format, and would like to get some practice in it. I propose that there be regular practice 2v2s as well as the official 2v2s on a weekly basis, because playing a 2v2 once every few weeks just doesn't seem enough to get in some good practice time.

So all those who are interested: who would like there to be a practice 2v2 on a regular basis?

It could be a once weekly thing or a few times a week for those who can't make it or who want to play more or them.

Also I could possibly try to run a server (if I can get it to work :^P) devoted to 2v2s - Plus my LAN connection should eliminate some of the lag for others.

IP:

Robu1
posted September 30, 2001 03:03 PM            
Anybody?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 30, 2001 03:31 PM            
I thought it was a good idea, I thought it was obvious

IP:

Neo
posted September 30, 2001 03:57 PM            
I like the 2v2 format a lot now. I think one of the problems that was encountered before, (I believe WM ran a 2v2 server for quite a while) is that people weren't having much fun playing against AIs. The server is a lot of fun when you have 4 human players, but with anything other than exactly 4 players on it, nobody really enjoys themselves. After a while, people just stop showing up.

However, I would really like to be able to play in 2v2's more often. And when I do play, I'd like to be more competitive than I am now. I think practicing 2v2s with an actual teammate is the only real way to get better at playing in 2v2s, because the format is so team-intensive. Cooperation among teammates in 2v2's is a necessity, but also a learned behavior.

So perhaps you could set up a server with 3 or 4 teams of 2, at least at first. That way, people have time to form more permanent teams and begin to work cooperatively. I think we are already beginning to see this happen, even without a purpose-built 2v2 server; take a look at "Supercoax", "NeoRobu", "ParaVlad".

If you set AI tanks rather high, (so that playing against them will be challenging enough to have some fun) perhaps we could show some more people the beauty of the 2v2 format. Eventually, we would have enough people interested in having actual organized 2v2 matches, perhaps even including tournaments and round-robins.

This is my hope for the 2v2 format.

[This message has been edited by Neo (edited October 02, 2001).]

IP:

Robu1
posted October 01, 2001 05:26 PM            
So is anybody up for a practice 2v2 Tuesday night - say.........anytime from 8-11 EST?

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 01, 2001 07:38 PM            
yeah i'm in, if buffy doesn't come on then. lol.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 02, 2001 01:16 AM            
Maybe we should get two 2v2 matches going a week.That seems like a good idea,but there would be a few problems.First,you'd prob have trouble finding players.We have problems finding players to just play in one match a week.
Seocnd,what would you do about the 2 players that are at the top?I mean like Supercoax and I have bben undefeated so far and I gues pretty much hold the 2v2 crown.....but what's to say that say Robu and Neo get another match going where they pick two newbies to play?THey could catch up to our record pretty quick that way.After all,coax and I have played only good players in the 2v2 matches.I'll try to think about how we can go about getting more of these 2v2 matches going.
I agree with everybody,2v2 matches are like something we have never played before.It's not like a DDM where it's everybody for themselves.You're only as good as you and your partner play together.Thats what I like about 2v2.It focuses more on the team as a whole rather than just on the player.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 02, 2001 01:18 AM            
hehe,don't count the typos,it's relly late and I've been on the road almost all night

IP:

Robu1
posted October 04, 2001 03:20 PM            
Yeah super, that sounds like a good idea. One problem that you point out that I agree with is the non-popularity of 2v2s, since the only few people who have played them are those who have played against you and coax.

I think what needs to happen to make this work is to 1: set up a 2v2 server, and 2: suggest a 2v2 match whenever there are at least 4 players in one server.

That is the only way I see 2v2s as becoming an "official" thing like the DDMs. People will see the fun of it and change the way they play in order to help their teammates, and that will hopefully attract higher turnouts.

Then we can have different tournaments and ranks for 2v2s just like DDMs. Kindof like The WWF Champoinship belt and the tag-team belt, ya dig? :P

IP:

Robu1
posted October 04, 2001 03:23 PM            
Oh and one more thing I'd like to add - if there IS a server with more than 4 people who would like to play a 2v2 match, encourage those who have never played one before to give it a go, rather than those who know the adventure and excitement it brings. I'm silly I know.

:^P

IP:

oli2808
posted October 04, 2001 03:25 PM            
well if anyone's interested, i'll have a regular practice whenever you like........

IP: