This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   lets hash out some rules for DDMs and Clan Wars
coax
Administrator
posted September 25, 2001 02:23 PM            
I say cap DDMs to 20. Have it open to all if we hide it it kinda defeats the origional purpose.

Clan Wars need to be on a hidden server period. Its what I think.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 25, 2001 06:28 PM         
What coax said plus we should have 2 ddm servers on any given sunday. Only one would carry official status for the all-important rankings. The second will be for late comers and just-for-funsies players. I will be able to host one and we can ask Skan or Par to host the other.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 25, 2001 07:13 PM            
good idea, we need that 2nd server to say unofficial DDM though, but of course everyone already knows that

IP:

Paranor
posted September 25, 2001 09:44 PM            
I agree with keeping the Clan DDM private buy why not try MPZ first for regular DDM?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 25, 2001 10:52 PM            
We need to give MPZ the test before we dedicate it to DDM's.A few of us went on the other day,but there were only about 8 of us and some people were saying "lag".I didn't notice any.Maybe these people lag wherever they go I don't know about running two servers.What if I get stuck on a server with all new people and I can't fight it out with the best players I think 5-6 Sunday were just joining a server that had 20 people on it.They had no idea what was going on.I like the idea of capping it at 20,but I would rather just have one server.and the 5-6 that just happen to show up and not know what is going on,will not be able to join.What I'm trying to say is that the people that read the forum will make up the 20 that get on the server.Everybody else will be SOL.We're going to have lag no matter what we do.

IP:

Nemzad
posted September 25, 2001 11:10 PM         
How about useing 2 offical DDM servers. Take the top five placements from both servers after 2 DDM matches, then for the third and final DDM the top 5 from both servers duke it out on the same server.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 26, 2001 10:27 AM         
The 2 official server setup is a major violation of the KISS principle. The logistics of it would not be enjoyable. At some point I would like to see a top 10 invitational like supe has suggested.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 26, 2001 04:22 PM            
Yes WM,we should revive that idea and make it law.Top 10 ranked players only go at it for a few games so we'll see who is really the best

IP:

Paranor
posted September 27, 2001 09:05 AM            
So the top 10 would be private server and the non top 10 would be public? How does a non top 10 player get into the top 10?

Do we have play offs and then a championship? For example, week 1 & 2 are two server DDM's to handle the load (i still think it's cool that many people play TM now!) and the top 5 players for weeks 1 & 2 play in a "world series" ( ) on the 3rd week on a private server?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 29, 2001 03:05 PM         
Could someonw please post the DM rotation here.

For this week, I am the DDM lord in Par's absence and I decree 2 DM servers, one official and capped at 20 one unofficial for the overflow. The unofficial one will either be Skans or MPZ. waiting for feedback on that one. The setup will be Regular DDM with 6 team, team scoring OFF, TL 25, FL 30, team damage on , NO Ais. Same maps as the Clan DDM. I get no feedback so I am assuming the setup is good. Oh, FPS = 10 , net rate at 4000. Log is ON.

Lets give it a shot this way. If it sucks, we will try something different

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited September 29, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 29, 2001 03:37 PM            
sounds fine with me, but we need to pick a server that will be the official DDM server

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 29, 2001 04:14 PM         
errr. sorry,I figured it would be on mine.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 29, 2001 09:04 PM            
lol, some of us are more thick headed and slow. Your server sounds fine.

IP:

A2597
posted October 01, 2001 07:49 PM            
if I'm not mistaken, there has been serious problems with good players suffering some serious LAG, right? sooo, how about instead of everybody being on one server, we break it up. 8 people at a time, the rest stay in sayyy, an ICQ chat and Yak for the 20 minutes or however long it takes for somebody to win. the Top Four players move on, and the four losers are left to chat on ICQ, or leave. continue this untill there are only four players left, and whoever wins that match, wins.

just a random thought, was the way we did it in WoT, worked well.
(And that way, even if your a little late, you still get the chance to win

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

Throckmorton
posted October 01, 2001 08:32 PM            
My server "throck and roll" is available as a ddm or unofficial ddm.
You guys didn't mention it as a possibility, which makes me wonder if you have problems with it. Does it lag for many of you?

Also, read my separate posting on weapon choices...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 02, 2001 04:35 AM            
There use to be a DDM rule that players that get 1st place in a DDM couldn't play in the next DDM. This prevented an exceptionally good player from dominating the stats for all time. This rule was abandoned in time or forgotten i don't know. It was surely broken by me on occasions and others. Does anyone think this is still practical or even neccessary? Its the only handicap I know of to place on good players. Not, that I want Turd taken off 1st place its just what we use to do. Theres no doubt in my mind that Turd will get first in 99% of the games. But the origional intent of my ladder was to have it so that even newcomers could quickly get recognized as a great TM player.

Also, minor addition to site. Instead of seeing top 3 in rankings i doubled it to top 6 www.geocities.com/coaxs/ranking.html

IP:

TurdHeart
posted October 02, 2001 07:50 AM            
Welp - my life has taken a turn for the strange, so I'm gonna have to duck out for the next little while anyway.

I expect my fellow DNXers will keep things going.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 02, 2001 08:49 AM            
theres never nowt like rockin a boat !

IP:

Paranor
posted October 02, 2001 09:33 AM            
Sorry to hear that TH - hope it's nothing serious.

With that in mind - whew! No more DDM butt kicking from TurdHeart!

UGH - i'm so close to getting in the top six. Skan & super - don't play for a few weeks. OK?

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 02, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted October 02, 2001 05:48 PM         
Any feedback on my servers in terms of maps or settings? I saw a few cries of lag on the logs from Sunday, but not the catrastrophic lag of the Clan DDM. I don't belive that the server got over 20, so the max players limit was never reached.

Throck, if you want to serve you just have to voulunteer. Your servers have not been tested for heavy traffic yet, far as I know. How about after the BWL vs DNX match we all go on Throck and Roll for a bit an do a lag check?

Sorry about your problem, TH. Women are just wired different. I hope all turns out well.

Woohoo, I am ranked again! I am sure that won't last long

EDIT: If we go away from the 1 official server system, I will no longer be able to compete as my max paly time is ~1.5 hrs. No big loss given the number of DDM that I have been able to attend . It wouldn't hurt to try it, of course

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited October 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited October 02, 2001).]

IP:

TurdHeart
posted October 02, 2001 06:01 PM            
Actually, not a girl problem - not really a problem at all. But get this:
I'm going to Uzbekistan! The USAF is sending me off as part of Bush's good faith effort to provide support to countries the US needs as allies. I'm going to assess environmental disasters at the Uzbek/Afghanistan border, and figure out ways to clean 'em up. The idea is that it is supposed to build friends with the countries surrounding the Taliban.

Scary, huh? I'll be surrounded by people that aren't too fond of Americans - somehow I doubt being a Canadian will help.

BUT - I'll be bringing my ICQ list and TM CD with me! I've been promised a net connection, but it could be anything from a 14.4 to a T3. I'll prolly be firewalled by the military too, but it's worth a try!

Hopefully I don't get to see some "flower power" up close!

IP:

Paranor
posted October 02, 2001 09:57 PM            
Wow. God bless you on you task and if possible keep in touch!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 02, 2001 11:56 PM            
Dang Turd!How long is this little expedition going to take?Sounds like a long one.I just hope I don't get a phone call since I'm in the Inactive Naval Reserves!Hey,maybe Turd and I could play on a LAN if that happens Yeah right,they wouldn't call me unless it was WWIII.
Anyway,I don't think much should be changed with the way DDM's are played.I don't even really like the two server idea.If you are tired of the same people winning all the time,practice more.It's not really fair to boot the best players.After all,they are the best because they have played the game a lot.Not to say that the winner of the DDM is the best player,maybe just the luckiest that game I say keep it the same as it has been.We'll have to figure out something for the lag that dosen't drastically change the DDM.I may have to start begging for that T3 again

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 03, 2001 12:07 AM            
Good luck TH, its tense out there - watch ya back.

you will in our preyers of safety.

return soon friend.

In the meantime u american DNXers out there - lets get into those DDM's pretending everyone else is in bin ladens troup

Phasers set to FRAG !

IP:

The Weatherman
posted October 03, 2001 03:23 PM         
Take care, TH! I hope you have a VERY boring time there! Let us know how it goes (unclassified stuff, of course). Be safe!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2