|
Author Topic:   Need some help...
Neo
posted September 24, 2001 05:01 PM            
OK, so I was trying to make new images and thumbnails for last night's clan war, to put on my site...

But when I tried to save the .bmp files in MS Paint as .jpg images, the dropdown menu for the file types only included various other .bmp file types.

I used to be able to save as .jpg, .tiff, .gif, and various .bmp's. Where did those file types go?! Without the ability to convert .bmp to .jpg images, I won't be able to update my screenshots website... (I realize that the prog isn't the best, but I don't have anything else that can switch .bmp to .jpg)

So I used add/remove in the control panel to uninstall MS Paint. Then i removed the only paint registry key that I could find remaining in the regedit. When I rebooted and reinstalled MS Paint, I had the same exact problem.

Microsoft's website is no help, and their tech support costs $35. I'm sure their thoughts and help would be useful, but certainly not worth that. I don't really want to have to completely reinstall Windows, just for MS Paint...

Does anyone know how to fix this?! I'm stuck.

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 24, 2001 05:31 PM         
Sorry, I'm not going to say anything in favor of Microsoft now - no idea how you might be able to fix that paint prog.

You might, however, want to have a look at IrfanView
- free software that supports virtually all popular file formats and is pretty good at auto-creating thumbnail pages for you.

If you're more into painting, gimp might be just what you need...

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited September 24, 2001).]

IP:

TurdHeart
posted September 24, 2001 09:50 PM            
Your MSPaint problems are very strange. What kind of bmp file did you load originally? I just tried a TM capture (tank0001.bmp) and a regular PrintScrn capture and they were both able to be saved as jpgs from Paint.
Very weird.
Seems like the jpg filter has disappeared from your pooter, or the bmp files are in some weird format that doesn't convert well to jpg.

I'm no help.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 24, 2001 10:18 PM            
There are tons of converters at download.com.I think there is a nice little prog for BMP to JPG only.I use Compupic Pro to convert my GIFS to JPG's.You don't have to put up with MS garbage.

IP:

JVortex
posted September 25, 2001 12:27 AM            
your best bet is IrfanView, like Dreamer said. its a truely great little graphics prog. useful for browsing your pict directories AND sound file directories as well as file conversion.

IP:

Neo
posted September 25, 2001 02:06 AM            
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!

TH, you were right...at least two of my graphics filters suddenly and mysteriously vanished from the computer. I had to reinstall/update them from the Office2000 CD, a really simple job, but it literally took me all day to figger out what needed to be done. [I really thought something in my registry was fried, and spent a good 2+ hours searching through it...really mind numbing, 'specially since I came up with nothin.]

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I downloaded IrfanView; haven't tried it yet, but it looks like I'll be using it a lot in the future.

IP: