|
Author Topic:   SERVER & CLIENT NETRATE
Paranor
posted September 24, 2001 01:58 PM            
In the spirit of having lots of new topics I have one!

Yesterday during the DDM CLAN battle mayhem (i'm still seeing red dots in my sleep!) it was brought up that everyone should change their client netrate. But I thought the ServerRate parameter took presedence over the client rate.

So my questions are:

1) Which one is used to decide - the client rate or the server rate?

2) If everyone says to set the client netrate to 3KB then why isn't the server set to that?

------------------
[BWL] Paranor
Bow before me, for I am root.

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 24, 2001 03:34 PM         
the client netrate is the maximum the client is willing to handle.

the server netrate is the maximum rate the server communicates with each client at.

->

If the client netrate is lower than the server netrate, the client netrate takes precedence.

If the server netrate is lower than the client netrate, the server netrate takes precedence.

If the sum of all precedent netrates used in the communication between server and clients hits the limit the servers network connection can handle, problems arise.

Example:
Yesterday we had between 25 and 30 participants. If each of those had their netrate at 10k (kBytes per second), the server would have had to prepare, pack and send up to 300kB per second - equivalent to a 2.5Mbit line, not counting the computing power needed to calculate that much data on the fly.

That means that either the server netrate has to be dropped for huge matches such as those we had last night (WMan said it was set to 10k, if I remember right), OR everyone has to lower their client netrate until both the server AND the line can handle the bandwidth.

Another problem is that some people tend to keep their netrate at 10k, even though their internet connection can't handle 10kBytes per second (equiv 80kBit per Second - more than ISDN or dialup can handle!)
Those people always cause and experience lag on populated servers.

Yet another problem is that even if your line should be able to handle the bandwidth, it may in fact not be at the very moment you need it. Internet traffic on exactly those nodes your packets are routed through can cause slowdowns.

----------
4k is a little jumpy, but pretty safe unless you're using a 28k modem.
(32 users at 4k need a bandwidth of just over one Megabit per second (a good connection can handle that) and 32 is the max number of players allowed by TM, afaik.)

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 24, 2001 06:25 PM         
6 k last nite , will lower to 4k
Just now I tested my upload at 1.2 to 2.1 mbps, which should handle the server rate just fine. I think the bottle neck is the server itself - a crusty p200.
my FPS was set to 10, i guess i could drop it a little too.

I like the idea of no late joins. I wish there was an option to enforce that. Should I set the player cap at 20? That should improve all around performance and rewards early birds. (that being said, I would be pissed if I coulndt get into my own server )

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 24, 2001 06:51 PM            
Cut it at 20 and reward earlybirds

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 24, 2001 08:42 PM            
cap it at 5 and reward the 56k ppl in the uk :P

IP:

Paranor
posted September 24, 2001 10:28 PM            
Wow - thx dreamer.

You know what - why not make ALL DDM's on a private IP? That will reward people who read the BB and reward the BB readers.

Oh wait, I played my first DDM by walking into it!

But nowadays we all work hard on helping the newbies and tell them to read the BB.

Thoughts?

IP:

KONG
posted September 24, 2001 10:40 PM            
why not have 2 or 3 ddms a week. different times and days. one at a good time for US players, one at a good time for European players, and one kinda good for both. All scores go into the stats and ladders. This might give ppl more flex in their schedules. Also players that dont have high scores can make up for it by playing more games. Or if preferred a players top score from the weeks ddm's could be used and trash the others. Also one of the ddm's should be played on one of the UK servers. Even though I do not get a very good ping to those servers. It's only fair. imho

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 25, 2001 11:54 AM         
What we need is a DDM czar! I like the idea of 3 DDM type matches. We already have 2 - Sunday and Wednesday. The third should be Eurocentric in terms of game time(Perhaps on Nguk or the MPZ server) - Great idea, KONG! I will pretty much put up any stock configuration that can handle 20 bodies fairly easily, if given a days notice. I just don't like having to plead for input on what the setup should be.

I know Par is the DDM Lord by devine right but I don't know if he wants the responsibility for calling or polling for the setups for 3 DDMS. One way we could do it is to take nominations/volunteers (NOT me) and vote on the czar. A second way would be to have Par call Sunday, Supe call Wed. , and one of out mates across the pond call the 3rd. It would be nice if the 3rd DDM could run a " What - When" message before things start. I am not sure if the Nguk or MPZ servers will support that, but we can always try. I also think it would be great to give those servers a little love to encourage them to keep us.

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Treadhead tested, Girlfriend dissaproved

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited September 25, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 25, 2001 01:09 PM            
To my knowlege Wednesdays DDMS are CTF right?

IP: