|
Author Topic:   quick question (real newbie-ish)
Throckmorton
posted September 09, 2001 06:35 PM            
Where are the map files? I wanted to limit my server to just a short list of the best maps but I can't find their names anywhere (except in the game - but I added mods the same day I bought game and don't know which maps are original to TM)

Are the map file names different then the map names???

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 09, 2001 06:46 PM            
depends where you put the downloaded mod maps. Most mod-maps get unzipped into your addons folder, therefore your main TM dirctory should be unchanged. I think, sorry I don't have a quick list though, ask Weatherman.

IP:

KONG
posted September 09, 2001 06:49 PM            
in your deicated cfg file you can list what maps u want to run

DediMap0 = "The Ramp"

or something like that. there are two listed already but they are commented # so they wont run

IP:

Throckmorton
posted September 09, 2001 09:19 PM            
That's my question guys: I wanna add specific maps to my dedicated.cfg. I know how. I just want to know what the names are. Where are the names? I wanna spell everything just right.

IP:

KONG
posted September 09, 2001 09:55 PM            
I ran TM in single game and then hand copied the names. a little ol fashioned but it works.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 10, 2001 02:12 PM         
ClayHills.ved
ClayHills2.ved
DM1.ved
DM10.ved
DM11.ved
DM12.ved
DM2.ved
DM3.ved
DM4.ved
DM5.ved
DM6.ved
DM7.ved
DM8.ved
DM9.ved
DMCaldera.ved
DMCone.ved
DMIce.ved
DMMixedEggs.ved
DMSpikey.ved
DMSteps.ved
Jim10.ved
Jim11.ved
Jim1L.ved
Jim2L.ved
Jim3L.ved
Jim4L.ved
Jim5.ved
Jim6.ved
Jim6T.ved
Jim7.ved
Jim7A.ved
Jim7F.ved
Jim8.ved
Jim8A.ved
Jim9.ved
JimArmaged.ved
JimCircle.ved
JimCTF1.ved
JimCTF2.ved
JimCTF3.ved
JimCTF4.ved
JimCTF5.ved
JimCTF6.ved
JimH1.ved
JimHeavy.ved
JimIce.ved
JimIce2.ved
JimM1.ved
JimMoon2.ved
JimR2.ved
JimR3.ved
JimS1.ved
JimS2.ved
JimS4.ved
JimT2.ved
JimT3.ved
JimT4.ved
JimVolcano.ved
Tutorial.ved
Tutorial2.ved
Tutorial3.ved
I used " cd C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\Maps" from the c:prompt and then used "dir /B /OEN > maplist.txt" to generate this list

What would be cool is if someone could make a file with filename, mapname, and descriptions in it. A useful description would be like: Psychotic colors, hilly, hated by all
or
rolling hills, lots of spawns, no trees,standard DDM
or
mixed hills and flats, some river, trees, good map, not for DDM (the ramp - not good for DDM b/c of all of the trees - theorized to slow server)

The easiest way to generate this would be to use TM mapper - it list map names , terrain is easy to examine, and trees/sheep are evident.

This being said, I can't put the list together - too many ideas, so little time
Please, someone, run with this. It would be useful for deciding what maps to run for a given server. even just matching up filename to map name would be cool.

IP:

NeoKi
posted September 10, 2001 05:22 PM            
The way I put down the names without comsuming tomuch time is I right-click on a map, then I select rename then I select copy and place it into the dedicated file. If you manage to rename a file, just go to the edit section and select undo rename.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

JVortex
posted September 11, 2001 02:14 AM            
the list WM put up there will tell u which maps are stock TM maps (and WM uses his new trick ).

i think what hes asking is "if i want to put in Woodlands how do i find out the file name of that map?". and the other side of that question is "what the heck map is the file called Jim4L.ved?" or similar map name.

the way i came up with to do this (find the file name of a map when u know its in game name so as to add it to a dedi map listing) is to right click the TM maps folder and hit "Find..." (tho this may be an addon i have, i dont recall if windows does this stock). if u cant do this go to start > Find > Files or Folders. then hit the browse button and select your TM map folder. then fill in your "Find Files Named" box as follows, not including the quotation marks of course:
Named: "*.ved" (tells it not to search the bmp files, yes thats star dot ved and is NOT a typo)
Containing text: "woodland" (insert map name here)
Look in: your TM map folder path here

this will display the fact that the woodland map is called Jim7F.ved as it is the only one that will show up in the found files list.

the map name is contained within the ved file as normal text. this lets the standard windows find command search thru it for text strings. pretty cool i think .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 11, 2001 09:14 AM         
pretty schlick trick there, JV
Is there a way to read the text portion only, without having to run TM or TMapper?
I will paly with it and see if I cant corrupt all of my maps

EDIT: Okay, I did not succed in corupting my maps but I found that wordpad opens .ved files very quickly. All text type information is located at the end of the file and has good stuff like name, gravity, and friction settings. However, nothing can really beat TMapper for the purpose of writing true descriptions. I may work on this very slowly to come up with good map descriptions.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited September 11, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted September 11, 2001 10:40 AM            
you can get in there and edit your map files with word pad to a certain extent. mainly going in and altering grav and friction settings is about it for the most part.

the main thing is that the map must be the EXACT same size in bytes as the original file when doing this. this means you cant change a maps gravity setting from -10 to -100. why? because that involves adding one single extra character to the file, thus increasing its file size and corrupting the map. BUT any number from -10 to -99 would be just fine including numbers from 100 to 999. because all of them are still 3 characters long.

theres a little more u can do than that, but not much.

IP: