|
Author Topic:   LAN problems....help!
Neo
posted September 07, 2001 02:28 PM            
Hey fellas,

OK, so I have been having some major problems with the T1/T3 LAN at UConn. I get some tantalizing server menu pings that are pretty consistently floating around 100-200 (often less, around 91ms), but then when I join a game it's almost always a lot higher-- sometimes peaking at like 7,000-8,000 ms.

So I tried to determine where the problem lies by pinging inside the LAN. Got a response time of 1-2ms and 0% packet loss. Then I pinged ftp.bu.edu (roughly 60 miles away) and got 4-5ms response time with no packet loss during midday. Obviously no problems there...

Then I ran a traceroute on the TM Master Server (216.101.212.117). Got to 64.161.163.194 in 14 hops in under 94ms with 0% packet loss and then ran another 16 hops with no response (100% packet loss). I think that it would have kept hopping with no response, but my traceroute was limited to 30 hops. (I would imagine that this is probably, uh, some kind of bad sign? But I suppose it could just be automatically denying traceroute and ping responses through a firewall?)

I have been having no problems with slow LAN performance for websites, downloading/uploading, email, or anything web-related other than TM.

Does anyone know what I can do to get back the 100-200ms ping I once got from this LAN? Robu1 has mostly identical pings, and he lives across campus, so I don't think it has to do with my own NIC or hub or cabling....

Cuz' unless I can get this ping down, I'm not gonna be able to play until like...winter break...

IP:

Robu1
posted September 09, 2001 02:51 PM            
geez.........no help. maybe you should just contact ResNet! :^0

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 09, 2001 02:52 PM            
you need help too robu

IP: