|
Author Topic:   Lets Help New Players
Throckmorton
posted September 06, 2001 10:12 PM            
Here's another rant by that Throckmorton guy who only just bought the game 3 weeks ago and should just shut up and let the experienced players make all the big decisions!

The treadmarks community should do more to help newbies. We are currently a bit confusing to new players, and it is important to remember the cluelessness game players often start out with. I'd like to make suggestions to all players concerning demo servers, and crazy servers.
Let me preface by explaining who I am so you understand my suggestions: I've played lots of online games (loved Battlezone) and have been on the internet since 1989 so I was quick to pick up on the concept of the treadmarks "community" and "mods". I bought TM about a month ago after playing demo for awhile and so these suggestions come from my recent experience figuring out how all this TM stuff works.

First the demo server(s): Many owners of the registered game still play on the demo server all the time (it seems to be the server most likely to have some non-ai players). We should encourage new players by helping them with tips and hints, and also remind them of the wonders awaiting them if they buy the game. I myself played shareware for 8 months before I bought. I would have purchased sooner if I knew how much cooler the real game is (esp CTF)

Concerning "crazy" servers:
By crazy I mean the ones with ALL the new maps and ALL the mod weapons and the whole game is just stupid with blind, skill-less fragging and chopped up, un-navigatable landscape. We have to label these "expert" or something so new players don't get too pissed when they try one.
This rant is based on my experience. I bought in August and signed on the Cornell (I think) server first. I thought I bought a ****ty game when the action started and 12 or so tanks just kept killing each other in "furballs" of confusion. It was nothing like the demo game. Soon I realized there were more normal servers, and I now know I LOVE this game. But many newbies may not have 15 years of gaming experience and years of online gaming experience like I do, so they may get frustrated and pissed. So I think we would all benefit if admins labelled their servers "heavily modified" and/or "expert" when they have so many mods, and label them "regular" or "vanilla" or especially "new players welcome" when the server game is stock.

The goal of this posting is to remind the established long term players that newbies exist and should be helped frequently so they stay, play, and spread the word. Then the number of players will grow (there's lots of room for growth: sometimes I see only 1 or 2 players online, out of 5 billion or so on this planet.)

Thanks to all who read this far...
Throckmorton
makdds@rochester.rr.com

server called "Throck and Roll" nightly (USA New York 6pm to 8am)

IP:

kv
posted September 06, 2001 10:32 PM            
Heh, you logged on to cornell. Last I heard, no one on that server talks if you join. Only usually two humans on there if you find them at the right time. Never see them anywhere else.

Usual series of events on that server is:

1. join
2. spawn
3. get fragged
4. return to step 2

repeat untill bored out of your mind, or just getting annoyed at the mods they use. (ie: invisible weapons caused by unavailable ent files)

the above is mostly mindless ranting, but it is also mostly true.

IP:

Neo
posted September 07, 2001 12:52 AM            
(No offense to any admins or anything, but...)

You said it kv.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 07, 2001 02:08 AM            
Unlike Throck, this is my first heavy duty experience with online gaming. Can't say I was confused over the servers, but that does NOT diminish Throck's comment whatsoever. Everyone has individual needs. So in that vein:

Just wanted to add to his "help the newbs" theme by saying that it was a big help to me when people said hello and answered questions when I first got on the demo server. ***Including the most important answer to a question I couldn't ask at that moment: "HIT 'T' TO CHAT [YOU DUMB OAF]" ... hehehe*** So I pay it forward by always saying hello to anyone that looks new on the demo server. The two I've talked to so far were pretty jazzed over the game.

Now, if I only didn't have to worry that one of the newbs I'm talking to on the demo server isn't actually one of regulars just messing around!!!!!!!!
--BTW, I think it was Supe, Kong and others (sorry if I forgot) that sort of welcomed me aboard. And Weatherman gave some of the best answers to questions I posed in this forum. I appreciate it.--

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 07, 2001 04:16 PM            
i always talk to the new players

in fact i talk to the old players too, i even talk on the bboard. I think I'm to chatty as is

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 07, 2001 11:33 PM            
I had to explain CTF to a server full of knew guys the other day.They got the hang of it pretty quick

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 07, 2001 11:33 PM            
I had to explain CTF to a server full of new guys the other day.They got the hang of it pretty quick

IP: