|
Author Topic:   The MPZ server ???
JVortex
posted September 05, 2001 11:35 AM            
ok, i just talked to mike about MPZ hosting a TM server. for those who dont know/ remember MPZ looks to be the best site for a server yet. they have their own BBS and also listings of who is in what game room at any given time as well as many other features. the site is great.

if you want to give it a look the site is here: http://www.mpz.co.uk/ and has servers already for many games.

as it turns out the only reason there arent servers running thru MPZ is lack of responce from LDA. all mike needs is a TM CD and the server is ready to roll. so Jim if you see this send him a CD!!! mikes email address is: mike@mpz.co.uk

[EDIT]
a select few of you should email jim as a reminder to get the CD sent off to mike. i did have this worded before as "hey, spam jim". oops, didnt mean it that way. those select few of you know who you are. spamming jim would piss him off im sure and nothing would be accomplished . my bad.

so even after all this time mike hasnt given up on us!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited September 05, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 05, 2001 11:42 AM         
Thx for re-wording, JV. No offense meant.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited September 05, 2001).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted September 05, 2001 02:06 PM            
I'll drop him an email....

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 05, 2001 03:59 PM            
Sweet LDA!!!!!!!!!Thanks Jvortex.I haven't heard from that guy since we played email tag with him several months ago.I hope that we will be able to get on the server using the master server and not the MPZ game launcher.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

JVortex
posted September 06, 2001 12:54 AM            
thanks Jim

and np Dreamer, glad u pointed that out

IP:

JVortex
posted September 08, 2001 08:02 PM            
ok, just heard from Mike that he has spoken w/ Jim (in one form or another) and Jim is gonna send off the game copy so this can get rollin'.

Mike said he will put a server or 2 online. i havent discused what exactly to do w/ each server yet or anything about modding one of em or not. so all thats still in the open.

i was thinking to have 1 a standard, basic, DDM suitable server (assuming the pings are good enough there for every one). and the other running whatever (kasplattt setup or something similar maybe?)

after this MPZ server starts up the current nguk Kasplattt server could be wiped and reinstalled (on the servers side to fix those wierd server messages) and then it could run the 1.0 server pack Skan put together maybe? Malice, the one hosting the kasplattt server, doesnt like having to maintain a server w/ updates anyhow. with the 1.0 mod pack on there he would never have to update it (more or less).

just some ideas and speculations, whatcha all think?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 09, 2001 02:49 AM            
Just as long as one of them is a basic DDM server that we can always depend on seeing on the master server.

IP:

KONG
posted September 09, 2001 03:01 AM            
maybe one of them should be an official demo server. wm and par wouldn't have to do it

IP:

Paranor
posted September 09, 2001 11:04 AM            
I'm glad I'm doing all I can to help with TM demo users but I do find it strange that LDA doesn't have their own demo server. But I would hate to "take up a server" for the sake of a demo server when it could be used for something else. I guess it would be up to MPZ as to how many?

MPZ has a nice site BTW.

IP:

KONG
posted September 09, 2001 11:18 AM            
I get the feeling that LDA just wanted the demo ppl to joina game here or there when the ramp popped up. not have a permanent place to play. not sure about that, just my opinion.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 09, 2001 05:23 PM         
The MPZ server sounds really cool. If it is fast I think we should definitely have it set up as a plain DDM server with settings agreable to all. If there is an extra, maybe have it be a dedicated plain CTF server or a clan server. no mods tho, mods should remain on user servers until such a time as a DDM standard mod pack is arrived at. As for Demo servers, I think that those are best served by players as well. I think it is good to have server operators that pop on occasionally to chat up the demo folks - ie, hints, websites, plugs, etc. .
just my 0.00000002 of ONE MEEEELEON Dollars.

EDIT: i like the idea of having a permanent "skans classic" on either the NGUK or the MPZ.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited September 09, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted September 10, 2001 01:31 AM            
MPZ is very fast,or was.When I found MPZ through a extensive Net search that I did when we had almost no servers at one time ,I played Quake3 through them to see how it would run.I didn't notice any lag on a packed server with me using dialup.
I do like the the demo server idea.I think the demo is going to become popular real soon and we may need a permanant server for the new people.
Here's my vote for the two servers:
One straight up DDM.
One demo.

IP: