|
Author Topic:   My computers clock is brain-farting...
JVortex
posted August 31, 2001 02:03 PM            
can anyone help here?

as 2 examples of my problem i use outlook express for email and callwave to get my phonecalls while im online. if my computers system clock says 1:00 PM and i recieve a call on callwave and say get an email at the same time the callwave window will claim that the call came in at 3PM and the email will say it also came in at 3PM.

no it has nothing to do with the 2 things occuring at once. its just an example there. but any email i get and any calls i recieve are timed 2 hours in the future...

i assume that any other program that tries to read my system clock will make the same mistake (tho i cant really think what to test it on).

any ideas?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Rex R
posted August 31, 2001 02:08 PM            
have you tried Icq to see what sort of time stamp it puts on your messages?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 31, 2001 05:20 PM            
Have you tried creating a file and looking at the timestamp. Use notepad or wordpad and type a few letters and save it to the /temp directory and then use windows explorer and look at the timestamp of the file (use view tab and set details for looking at files if not already set). It could have something to do with the time settings for your system this would be under your date/time settings in the control panel if I recall correctly. Let us know if you find anything.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 31, 2001 06:51 PM         
I'm not sure whether windows uses the bios time or sets its own, only using the bios clock as a heartbeat...

If so, a "time" command at a DOS command prompt would probably show sth. totally different from the Windoze time. That might be a prob. Dunno. Too tired to check- just a blind guess.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 31, 2001 07:07 PM            
It could always be the little battery that keeps the time (looks like a clock battery on the motherboard). Having your time act up is usually a sign of a failing CMOS battery. They're really cheap and easy to replace, just look at a CompUSA for one.

IP:

JVortex
posted September 01, 2001 01:08 AM            
FOUND IT!!!

i tried all the suggestions mentioned and everything was showing up just fine. was getting discouraged. then looked at the date/ time control pannels and low and behold... my GMT was set to -6 instead of -8. have no clue how that happened... so now of course it makes perfect sense; it was only internet/ web based time "things" that were wrong, all local times were fine.

thanks guys

IP: