|
Author Topic:   My server (or lack there of)
Random Chaos
posted August 30, 2001 01:49 PM            
Looks like my school's using a proxy server (thus my terrible pings and everyone else's terrible pings) - AHRG!

I'll see you all on other people's servers this weekend.

Maybe we can get NGUK to host the Mining and Jousting mod for a bit of fun play. Right now there are no "fun" servers out there - just the average slaughter matches.

Just a note:
Mining and Jousting Mod - not needed client side.

--RC

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 30, 2001 01:52 PM         
Ill post yours, i got the pack. Heard lots of good comments on your maps. Hey everyone, don't be shy - give RC and the rest of the modding crew some feedback.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 30, 2001 02:14 PM            
Heh, sure...

The cave is too slippery.

In CTF Spiral, spawning in the middle of the map stinks, and it's really hard to see where your base is from there. Not to mention that those little ditches are a pain to navigate.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 30, 2001 03:04 PM            
Caves: Its a cave! Its supposed to be slippery! (Actually its not much different than most maps - Friction is 0.97, Gravity is 1.10 - normal is 1 for both - I wouldn't call that "slippery" - you just slide down hills faster)

Spirals: I don't actually like playing that map myself - but I released it becuase I figure some people will. I have many better maps...it was just different though. I have others that were even harder to play on then it though! (CTF Ribs which I never released becuase it was just insane to move arround! It had walls all over - and no way arround them.)

As for the Mining mod - it has a bit more then it needs in the way of files in it - perhaps I'll make up a proper zip for it with just the files that are new (I included all the default TM ents when I did it becuase I was doing it very quickly on my way somewhere since someone asked for it).

--RC

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 30, 2001 03:10 PM            
BTW - of all my maps the only ones I actually like playing on are:

CTF Acid Moat
CTF Volcanic Isle
DM Basin (whein I'm not in a CTF mood)
CTF Poison

But then I like CTF far better then DM. And I like open maps (Poison is the least favorite of the above - I usually play on Acid Moat, Volcanic Isle, Red Oval, and [LDA's ice map] for CTF).

The rest of mine are too...er...simple or not my style of play.

Haven't really tried Noper's maps though so I don't know about his.

I also play a CTF map that I haven't released - its not that great a map, but it is playable and was the first I ever made. Its just fun to screw with the AI on .

--RC

P.S. - if anyone has an idea for a good map design (if its not too complicated) send me a height map and I'll see what I can do. I've run out of ideas for height maps. But if they are too hilly, they don't make good CTF maps. I won't do Race maps (becuase I don't play race maps and don't know much about their design) but DM and CTF maps I'll do (CTF are the hardest to design becuase of the bases - which have to be symetrical).

IP:

Vlad
posted August 30, 2001 03:36 PM            
quote:
Caves: Its a cave! Its supposed to be slippery! (Actually its not much different than most maps - Friction is 0.97, Gravity is 1.10 - normal is 1 for both - I wouldn't call that "slippery" - you just slide down hills faster)

While I'm not too familiar with map parameters, I think I'm not alone in saying that DM Cave feels about as slippery as any ice level, and with all the bumps everywhere... things get messy.

Just to be sure, though.. lemme pop open TMapper...

Actually, it appears that default friction is 10, and default gravity is 0, -10, 0 (according to Sabot.ent).

DM Cave has a friction of 0.97 (DM Glacier has a friction of 1) and a gravity of 1.1, which I'm guessing gets ignored due to the fact that gravity appears to be expressed as x, y, z.

So it IS more slippery than ice levels....

IP:

Paranor
posted August 30, 2001 03:52 PM            
First time I played your maps last night. Didn't like the spiral but also liked it because you had to drive really well. By the time I figured it out we were done.

Of course NOBODY got SU's team flag. Grrrr.

However, that one with what seems to be a pyramid(?) ROCKED. Very nice texture and extremely fun.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 30, 2001 04:05 PM            
Yeah, the two pyramid maps are probably my personal faves on the server at the moment.

Poison's a good one, with the two little bridges often becoming quite messy, due to the need to control them for easy flag capturing.

I didn't like Acid Moat too much, simply because you always spawn WAY off to the side, and it takes forever to get back to the game (Even worse if you're driving Baneblade ).

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 31, 2001 01:41 AM         
I havn't gotten to play many, tho basin and poison are cool. Spirals is tough, but it had some neat ideas. Maybe reduce the gain on the spirals would be more fun. I like CTFs where it is not a hike to get home.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 31, 2001 04:54 AM            
Vlad and I have played caves serveral times this week and i have to agree it's not really a good mixture of slick ground and bumps.On a good point though,it's the prettiest map I've seen.Maybe if you can take out the hills it would be a lot better.
Also whoever created the CTF map with the hole in the middle and jagged edges...that hole has to go Do even think about playing with bots on that map.Thay are constantly caught in the middle.I can see where you might have made it like a sand trap,which isn't a bad idea but bots are too stupid to get out.
The rest of the maps are just straight bang'm up DDM style where you can't really go wrong
Oh yeah,there's also the map that has the islands that spawn nothing but c.missles,shadows,and materail bombs.Need I explain the mess that makes

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 31, 2001 07:40 AM            
Hmmm

I'll take a look at the Caves map - maybe I did make a mistake...odd if I did. Oh well. Caves is still Beta anyway.

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 31, 2001 06:58 PM            
LOL... make some good themed maps, like the Sniper's Map, or the Jousting map, or the mining map (a map that REQUIRES mining in order to move around quickly and has strategic power-up/weapon specific spawn sites).... and make em good ol' DM... or when I get home I'll make em for yah when TMapper is working well enough...

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 31, 2001 09:50 PM            
OH! BTW! Can you make a map that actually has unstable radioactive sand boxes that, when you're tank gets on one, dissolves ever further as your tank lays on it and slowly traps you and destroys you... I noticed this is what happens when you hit the lava map with a matter bomb, the raised lava actually crumbles as your tank lands on it (Of course, I was stupid and thought "SWEEEET, time to play skip-a-rock to the nukes on islands!" and I was dead almost as soon as I had landed on the raised lava and figured out what was happening... LOL).

IP: