|
Author Topic:   How did you find TM ?
The Weatherman
posted August 27, 2001 04:40 PM         
Please post how you found out about TM and where you got your copy. Give as much detail as possible. I hope this will help us figure out what promotional methods are working so we can put more effort there. So, if you have just come on the scene, say in the last 3 months or so, please reply.

I was actually a dormant Demo 1.0 player. I found the game at a download site last year. Played it, loved it, forgot about it (remember initial price was ~40 clams) . I finally got the full this Feburary when it came down to 20 bucks from Digital River.

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 27, 2001 04:59 PM            
I think I got the 1.01 demo on a gaming cd from PcGamer??????I formatted my HD and lost it for a while and ran across a article or something some months later.No,I formatted and bought a new video card and was thinking of graphicly good games to try out the new card and thought of TM.Searched for the demo and downloaded it.Actaully,by that time the 1.5 demo was out so I had to REALLY search for the 1.01 demo so I could play online.Played the demo for almost a year I guess then purchased the game.The rest is history

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

Paranor
posted August 27, 2001 05:07 PM            
I somehow was using DXBALL-2 and ignored TreadMarks because it said "racing" and as everyone knows the only real racing is NASCAR.

But one day I thought I will give it a try and BAM - here I am kicking your butts.

IP:

Nemzad
posted August 27, 2001 05:10 PM         
I first found TM when I went to zdnet and did a search for tank game and I got a few and on was TM but what realy caught my eye was that in the description it said something about that you could RACE and BATTLE with these tanks so I downloaded the shareware ver. and within 3 weeks I put my order in for 1.0.1

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 27, 2001 05:44 PM            
My dad is into computers seeing an all hoe he works for the 2nd best computer company Compaq, he decided to play the demo I guess, and I saw him playing-asked him what it was and he got me hooked, of course I wanted to play it all the time, but it was on his system and he didn't want me to mess up his computer and ended up deleting it. About a year later decided to get the demo only problem was that I needed glsetup even though my computer was new, waited several months bought the hole thing and got glsetup.
Which I think should be sold with TM

------------------
Sushi

IP:

JVortex
posted August 27, 2001 06:01 PM            
well ill be honest here and say that i first ran across it from a random pop up screen. this pop up then brought me to a warez site where i saw TM for the first time. the owner of the warez site put in his own description for it and it sounded really cool. thus i grabbed it. infortunately it was a corrupted copy and not everything was there. within about 2 hours i had a hybred version working however (tho i wont say how). i only had like 6 maps and 8 or so tanks, but at least the weaponry was there.

i was instantly addicted.

i then went a huntin for it in stores and found it in about a week at a small hole in the wall store and havent put the thing down since.

best game ever, and if it wasnt for that one small warez site (which is no longer there btw) i would never have discovered and bought the game .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

lordbyron
posted August 27, 2001 06:25 PM            
Like Weatherman I d-led the demo about a year ago and played with it until after X-mas when I found a copy @ Babbage's for $20.

--lb

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 27, 2001 07:01 PM         
wman couldn't you just have revived the old thread with the same title?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 27, 2001 07:16 PM         
Sure, if I had ever even seen it :P . D is referring to this post started WAyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before my time. /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000343.html
I was really trying to get the story of new members to see what is working these days....

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 27, 2001 07:21 PM            
I use to look at download.com's newest downloads everyday, and I saw it there. What sold me on it was how easy it was to connect to other multiplayer games. An idiot like myslef was able to do it in 1 click

IP:

Irascible
posted August 27, 2001 07:42 PM            
I already mentioned this in another thread, but I'm shooting for 140 posts per day for a week so I can join the 1000 club. I saw this article on PCWorld.com's home page roughly a month ago http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,aid,35462,00.asp

I'm NOT into online gaming (well, I guess I am now), and you can count on one hand the number of computer games I've played with any seriousness.

But one day I thought I will give it a try and BAM - here I am getting my butt kicked. Got version 1.5 from J&R Computer World for $18 shipped.

BTW, it's due in no small part to the fact that the community is generally a high class bunch [and no, I'm not sucking up - in fact I don't have the time nor inclination to join any of your stinking clans!!! ].

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 27, 2001).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 27, 2001 08:10 PM            
My roommate 2 years (about 23 months) ago was playing Beta 2.0 (just after it came out) and I started then. Been playing it ever since...

I think only Dreamer and Kaeto of those that still play and visit the BBS have played longer then I have.

I started running the TM Terrain Deformation Site about 22 months ago now and its been up most of the time since then with occations several month down times.

--RC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 27, 2001 09:36 PM            
i was looking for screensavers on 3dfiles.com i got the tron opengl bike game and treadmarks - BOOM thats wa sit, i had to have it - went out to buy and found it in EB for 30 (about $50).... i know its like $5 now - but its one of the very few purchases ive thought a year on was worth every penny - and id pay that much again without question.

IP:

ni
posted August 28, 2001 12:21 AM            
I was just browsin 'anal' on download.com and it came up this... I don't know why... LOL... kidding (sorry.. I'm pissed again.. see DNX forums)!!!!!!!!!!! No need ... screw it!"!

I was genuinely looking for 'blasting'.. sheeeet.. done it again!!

What was I looking for?!?! Umm.. I think racing and it came up this... I downloaded it and was thoroughly addicted til I had to re-formated my drice and clreaed it accidentally... then had to search for it again... dl'ed again played again and bought the full game from hmv.co.uk for 19.99 in Feb!

Now I realise I'm the biggest chump on the plant cos it's a quarter fo the price now but so what what... I've had fun!!! TM RULES!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

Rex R
posted August 28, 2001 01:28 AM            
found it on a cover disk from pcxl(may it rest in peace) within a week I had ordered ver 1.01

IP:

desolation1900
posted August 28, 2001 11:13 AM            
After downloading for hours and hours off of happypuppy.com, and wading through such fine games as Mercedes Diesel Truck racing, and Ford Racing (you race new pintos, how lame is that?) I found TM. Actually, when I first played it I thought it sucked. It was too hard to control, but I liked the graphics so I just kept motoring around until I found nukes and would make the screen do pretty things with it.

I stopped playing it after about an hour and forgot about it .. then while cleaning off my HD i found it again, tried it, and got hooked. Played the demo for hours a day until I finally got the full release.. Kind of like the little kid with the hoola hoop in the hudsucker proxy.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 28, 2001 02:21 PM            
You're right Rex,it was PCXL magazine.I was really sad to see it go.It was the only gaming magazine that was unbiased and entertaining to read every page in it!!!If only we could get the new demo onto one of those cd's.......That should be our objective.Who wants to help me with the emailing campaign??I'll work on a list of gaming magazines that distribute demo cd's.I should have it by sometime tonight.

Ping LDA:Can you give us some info on what it takes to get the demo on one of those cd's?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 28, 2001 06:38 PM            
Superunknown. Lets make an advertising company for LDA. And get these things distributed.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted August 28, 2001 08:10 PM            
I came across the TM demo about 4 months ago and buzzed in and out of the demo servers. Got blasted by Vlad too many times to count. I searched locally for the game and wasn't able to find it anywhere. I ended up finding it at Ft Bliss for $29. Now I can get blown up by everyone...

BamZipPow

IP:

uck
posted August 28, 2001 08:38 PM            
i found TM on the pirate sites when it first came out

IP:

kv
posted August 28, 2001 10:28 PM            
Saw it on the store shelf, put it back. Looked online for more info about the game. Came back the next week and bought it.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 28, 2001 11:09 PM            
You mean like a real company or just organize stuff?I'm pretty persistant when it comes to email bombardment Not meaning mass email but I don't give up.I'm ready to just pick one of the magazines and commence firing.I think PC Gamer is the biggest PC mag now.I'll get the info tonight and start it in a new thread since this is OT.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

Rex R
posted August 29, 2001 01:38 AM            
just recently pcgamer had the 1.57 patch on their cd. from what I've seen/heard sometimes it takes no more than a simple email to get something on one the cover cd's. might have to sweeten the pot(so to speak)with a mod or two(get creative and send a mod that will only work with the full version, use textures and or models not found in the demo)

IP: