|
Author Topic:   That Cockpit View Again
=DNX= Matrix
posted August 27, 2001 12:07 AM            
Ok, so this issue has been bandyd around for ages with the turmoil over the "how do we do the turret" thing.

Ok here what needs to be done.

1. Take the tank vector out of the view.
2. Drop in a new directory where you can make cockpit designs and assign them in the ent file.
3. this view should have NO TURRET CONTROL, use your treads lads, i do, and guess what i find it easier
4. drop the camera angle to near the ground, lowe view = far better effect in the overall game would be superb for racing matches too

thoughts ... ?

IP:

JVortex
posted August 27, 2001 12:48 AM            
i agree much, would be a great option, and for other reasons as well

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 27, 2001 03:49 AM            
sounds good to me Matrix. I know when I was a newbie, I really wished there was a cockpit mode. I'm sure all the new members of the community will like it a lot as well. Unfortunately, I'm to stubborn personally and rely on my turret way to much to change. Still be ultra cool in my book though.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 29, 2001 09:41 PM            
Let's have more novelties in TM, how about the wireframe mode back (Yes, I'm plenty satisfied with F12, Jim... I'm not doing a "if you give a mouse a cookie" thing, but It would be neat in theory to have it back), let the F1 and F2 and F3 keys control the mesh levels, and all that... but put it in a beta, and we'll all test the stuff out and have more thorough testing (wireframe especially since sometimes you can see when the game is being buggy vs. when the game triangle levels that you preset are reached and the game truncates detail to save speed for the game, and the mesh keys were fun in general), and we could have some two player modes in which one person can control different part of the tank and another others (this is where you can add vertical aiming to a turret, having a turret dude and a driver)... not as if this isn't possible, but it's a little hard to configure SOMETIMES. Oh, and what about having a preview camera to see if you like a certain game or not before connecting. EEEEK, My brain is flooding, enough of this... I've worn myself out too much almost by retyping all the paragraphs in order to make things shorter or better!

IP:

JVortex
posted August 30, 2001 04:05 AM            
im all for the 2 person tanks, i think that would be great fun. gives a whole new twist to game play . also opens up a whole new door to styles of modded tanks. being able to switch driver/ gunner while in-game would be fun as well.

the quick mesh detail buttons should also be added back in. was nice to be able to switch on the fly if the game got too hairy and started bogging down. would also be handy for us modders to be able to test new mods at different res levels easily.

and actually wireframe mode does exist again. it was added back in in version 1.59 i believe, tho it may be 1.6, i dont recall. no matter. i do however remember reading somewhere on the BBS here (i think Jim said it) that wireframe mode was removed due to it allowing people to "cheat" and look thru hills making for an unfair advantage (tho personally i think the advantage was very slight since in wireframe mode you also cannot see sprites, kinda balances itself out that way "ouch! invisible plasma mines! crap invisible tree!" ). personally i didnt like wireframe any for actual play, its kinda like Dudy said, just a novelty.

as of now i dont know why it was added back in (saw absolutely nothing about it in the changes.txt" file). sorry, i wont say how to activate it tho unless jim gives the ok. as things sit now its kind of a hidden feature. unless someone read/ knows something i dont about it and its ok to tell. i delved and found how to activate it on my own.

RC, do you know anything on this? i remember that many people were annoyed when the feature was removed, would be nice to make it common knowledge. sorry that im sitting here saying "yes u can do it but im not saying how", but thats just how i feel. i dont know why it has returned and i dont want to say anything that LDA didnt intend to be public knowledge. dont want to step on any official toes .

Jim?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 30, 2001 08:11 AM            
On in cockpit view: Only way I'd play this is if there was a mini-window always showing the forward view also (so you can see where you are going). Otherwise I do with LDA would implement this - most games have it and I don't know why LDA hasn't done it with TM - probably has to do with the original coding and would require significant modification to remove seeing your own tank at all.

As for Wireframe: Um. I don't know why it was added back. It is no longer under an F-key so you have to play an entire game that way (rather than toggle in and out as needed). They removed it becuase toggling in and out gave players unfair advantages that knew about it (since it wasn't in the manual anywhere) as well as they wanted the 1.5.6 release to be as simple (ie unable to be screwed easily up by a determined player) as possible. They added most things back in, some as early as 1.5.7 (the F12 screenshot mode).

--RC

IP:

ni
posted August 30, 2001 10:01 AM            
Plus, the cockpit view would help when driving up and down steep inclines!! The camera jsut now doesn't quite look straight down and kinda blinds your view to what's in front (directly beneath) of you!!

But, I quite like the free-look and would love for that to be kept!! I remember that being harped on about and hope it stays!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP: