|
Author Topic:   DDM LAG PROBLEM
Paranor
posted August 26, 2001 10:07 PM            
Ok - as usual it was a great DDM and wow, what a turn out. Estimate is 20. This could have been the biggest turnout. Is this correct?

Which could lead to the problem of lag.

The server is hosted on a Pentium 4 with a T-1 line that is not being used at all during the night. I believe people who had cable or DSL didn't have a problem either. I know I did and I'm on a cable modem. The server is at a different site in a different city.

Any suggestions on how to tweak this?

The only parameter that looked like network related in config file is ServerRate = 4000.

Is 20 people pumping too much terrain info over dial-up?

Should we require a netrate of 3KB?

I don't know the technical details on how netrate and serverrate works, etc. Anyone care to explain?

thx

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 26, 2001 10:16 PM            
Well, I had almost an entire T3 to myself during the play (becuase most people were offcampus at the time I was playing) and I still had a TON of lag (not a result of my poor pings - tanks floating are not caused by poor ping).

My guess is the people on Dial-Up caused the lag since the server was having problems sending them the data to properly play and thus those that had decent connections were getting indirect lag becuase of server datarate lag problems to the dialups...

Tom - anything you can do to smooth this out in TM? It seems anytime we get more then about 10 people playing the lag goes nuts!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 26, 2001 10:22 PM            
I got lagged off my butt on that server. The END

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 27, 2001 10:12 AM         
Prolly a number of clients problem. Not much to do except maybe limit the number of people on a DDM - that kind of sucks tho.
How about 2 DDMS simultaneously with 2 signup. A DDM of 10 would still be fun.

BTW, Thanks for serving, Par. I wanted to play but we were getting a big and beautiful thunder storm

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited August 27, 2001).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 27, 2001 11:17 AM            
Suggestion for getting slightly better performance.

In the Dedicated.cfg file, find the DedicatedFPS line and lower that value. It will conserve substantial bandwidth on slow clients and overall will save a batch of bandwidth. Play will get a little choppier for those that have good connections...but given the problems we were haveing its probably worth the choppiness.

--RC

IP:

Paranor
posted August 27, 2001 11:34 AM            
It was set to 12 and I lowered it to 9. Is that good enough?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 27, 2001 01:20 PM            
Default for Dialup users is 6 so I wouldn't put it over that or dialup users aren't going to be able to play at all . That was probably the problem though.

On a LAN it can go to 20, but no where else.

IP:

TurdHeart
posted August 27, 2001 07:20 PM            
Phew - I'm glad somebody ELSE saw floating tanks too. I figured I needed to start cutting the pills in half.

[This message has been edited by TurdHeart (edited August 27, 2001).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 27, 2001 10:39 PM            
Der... I hope we remember to make the announcement about netrate to newbies when we see lag next time!

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited August 27, 2001).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted August 28, 2001 08:49 PM            
Hey all,

Still new to this game. Maybe you could put it on the server message about game settings? That way if they don't visit here they'll at least know what the max settings should be. Just my 2 cents.

BamZipPow

IP:

Rex R
posted August 29, 2001 01:40 AM            
well hey there Bam welcome the asy/\/\/\forum

IP:

Paranor
posted August 29, 2001 08:30 AM            
Hi BamZipPow - nice to play you last night on Cornell. Yes, we should put that in the server description and also "rag" (encourage? ) people to change it during the warmup games.

------------------
[BWL] Paranor
Bow before me, for I am root.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 29, 2001 08:33 AM            
Well, if you have the Max Netrate in the Server Config File set, all clients are automatically lowered to that value so you don't even need to inform them, just override their config settings.

IP: