This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Get off you @sses people
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 04:56 AM            
We are back in a rut again with hardly no one playing on the servers anymore.I was on a server(s) for almost 4 hours tonight and saw no one but Nemzemad,Vlad,Paranor.And it wasn't just tonight that we had a lack of players,it's everynight.I realize some of you guys are busy and I respect that but half of the people that participate in this forum I can honestly say I haven't seen on a server in months.And no,Sunday things don't count as being a active player.I see a influx of new people playing on servers with nothing but bots.We shouldn't have to wait until Sunday to get enough people on a server to have fun.I go to college full time and I work full time.Plus a girlfriend and a million other things going on but I play all the time.Drop by a server and play a couple of games so this game dosen't seem completely dead to newbies.I would imagine the new people think only 5 or 6 people own this game!!!!If you're not having open heart surgery or in jail Saturday night,try to make it to a server and play a game or two(and not just Sat night,2-3 times a week).It pisses me off seeing such a good game with nobody playing it.This is my rant,hear me roar.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

ni
posted August 25, 2001 04:37 PM            
Supe, I'm usually on randomly during the (GMT) day and on for 2-3 matches at nite depending if I see anyone on!!!

If all fails I stay on Par's Demo server so's I can at least take out a few lambs!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 05:06 PM            
How about we add in some more days besides Sunday as regular TM days. We could make Mondays-mod day, Tuesdays-clan days, Thursdays-team fighting day, Fridays-theme day(such as steal vs. liquids or klingon vs federation)

Let me know what you guys think.

IP:

ni
posted August 25, 2001 05:14 PM            
I say devote a day to jumping on a Demo server and settings standards... lol (not my standard)!

What WM was saying about changing the times for Sun DDM's might not be bad so long, for my sakes, if it isn't before 11 or I'll struggle!!

Maybe set two days a week to other types of wars and leave Sun solely to DDM-unmodded since it's the dadda of dem all!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

synack
posted August 25, 2001 06:46 PM         
The Sunday rally is important, so let's be careful not to water down its place in the big scheme of things.

As you know well, coax, it took a lot of work just to get Sunday 'going'. It will similarly be a challenge to make any other day special, but that's not to say we shouldn't think about and discuss it.

Last point ... I'm very much in favor of playing earlier on Sundays to afford our friends across the pond the opportunity to join us without staying up until obscenely late hours. It's not right that North American time should be the guideline.

Let's do all we can to include ALL of the TM family.

my $.02

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 09:22 PM            
If NeoKi had presented these ideas perhaps they would of gone over better I might have to contact him to submit my ideas to the community from now on. Sunday 8est DDMs are a staple of the TM community. I'm sure many have set their schedules accordingly to that preset. My schedule is so warped around that time it would be nearly impossible for me to attend a DDM at a different time; as I beleive others have changed their schedules too. I'm not opposed to trying out a new time for Sunday. But I propose a different solution for our friends accross the ocean and the ones at home that can't make it on Sundays.

I know I should get NeoKi to propose this new perception but oh-well We can work on setting either the mod-day, or theme-day into regular TM schedule. And make sure we can get the most people from both sides of the atlantic can attend. This keeps the traditional TM schedule intact, and allows the community to grow instead of stay the same and change shape. This is what I think, and I'm sticking with it. As, I did before when trying to concrete out a DDM schedule(damn that was hard to do) I'll try to concrete out this expansion. Starting with theme day.

Theme day is set for this Friday, assuming a 6 hour difference from est to european time. And setting European time at the maximum to 12midnight would set est to 6pm-est, and us in pst to 3o'clock at which time I'm still at work. But I'll slip out for some theme day carnage. Post here if you can make it, if you can't make it. Or if you need to rant over this new idea.

synack: at the time the DDMs were propose there were 2 dead clans. Now the community supports 3 active clans and 1 active guild. Expansion is neccessary as it was with the DDM. The main challenge as SUPERUNKOWN stated is proving to newbies there is actually a community here. This serves to tell them we are active, this serves to expand community activity. And I beleive that activities like DDMs help the community to grow, not the community reaches a certain population and a new DDM day is created. I've tried to dedicate a lot of my efforts into expanding TM, I'm not a modder and can't make TM more interesting so I'm relegated to these types of efforts.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

[This message has been edited by coax (edited August 25, 2001).]

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 25, 2001 10:30 PM            
Well thx coax. I was thinking that people should start advertising TM in the real world and not just the internet. That way, the so called newbies can take the places of the well know players. One place we can advertise is called: www.excite.com/games which is a real cool place to hang out and talk, of course you have to sign up but is free. And they have all kinds of games. And even the old old old version of treadmarks. The one with those green wired tanks.

Onother thing we could do is....... once a week we could have a battle on some sever, and play from some time to time. For example, 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM. At the end of that time, whoever has the most frags, and please write the down, we be declared as the TM master or TM Champion for the rest of that week. And everybody who writes to the TM king has to address that person in that manner. Such as, hey TM King, How ya been TM Master, and for the rest of the week. When this battle for glory ends, we will post on the Board, when and where the next one will take place.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 25, 2001 10:32 PM            
P.S. coax heres my email, neokigt@neo-tokyo.org

IP:

KONG
posted August 25, 2001 11:01 PM            
coax, i'm in kali and there is no way i can play at 3. i have a suggestion: make 2 ddm's, 1 on sat earlier, say 5 pm est. and 1 on sunday at regular time. the 1 on sat really doesn't have to be a ddm. i know there are some ppl who play on sat but cant make it on sun.

hey neoki, keep thinkin

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 11:05 PM            
NeoKi, we already have a scheduled tournament every week. Its on Sundays at 8est on a server called DDM. DDM stands for Deadliest Death Match. Some 15+ people come on the server to duke it out. 3 games are played and the winners of these tournaments are at www.geocities.com/coaxs/ranking.html

hehe, currently I am the "TM Master" or "TM Champion" but no one as yet has called me that, neither would I want it or expect it.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 11:07 PM            
Kong: good idea, we could have saturdays set up as a mod day. Anyone else have any feelings about mod day.

IP:

KONG
posted August 25, 2001 11:16 PM            
I think neoki has been reading the old posts!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 25, 2001 11:22 PM            
How the hell did this thread get off on to the times we should play DDM's? Let's not get too off topic here.My goal is to get people to just PLAY and not wait till Sunday to play the DDM.I wish there were someway I could log the activity of all the servers and show how much traffic there is daily.I'm sure the number would be very low.
Obviously I wasn't talking to everybody.You'll know if I was talking about you That little voice in your head will be saying,"Hey,maybe I don't play as much TM as I should"
Neoki....We been through the advertising crusade mutiple times already.Some efforts have proven worthy.Maybe coax can did you up a couple of threads covering the topic.I recently posted a ton of pc gaming demo links that do not carry the TM demo.Some of us started a email campaign to get the demo out to the multitudes.I don't think we have a lack of players.Well...maybe I do but we have quite a few regualars that have become "dormant".We DO need to get a lot more new players but first I'm going to try to get the old players to start playing again.The days of logging on to the master server and not seeing one server with a human are coming to a end.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited August 25, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted August 25, 2001 11:28 PM            
hmm, we aren't playing.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 26, 2001 12:35 AM            
I just got up to college - expect me on a lot more now.

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 26, 2001 01:45 AM            
Some of you people are too stubborn; the best way to attract more people is by making more options. Like having major TM battleís more then once a week, this isnít the super bowl; we donít have to stick to the game plane. This is Treademarks, and what does TM have that many other games donít have, options, so why canít people have that sort of freedom when play online.

Personally, I think we should change the battle from Sunday at 8:00 pm to Saturdays at 10:00 am. That way, people could have breakfast maybe watch some cartoons and then play online. Because, I know that at 8:00 pm I like to watch the Simpsons and Malcolm in the middle and then go to bed.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 26, 2001 01:46 AM         
LOL
HEy NeoKi and the other new crew! Lets harness some that creative energy and free time of yours. Dig this post and tell me if you can help on this crusade: /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001191.html
And /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001140.html
and

this is an email/submissions campaign that Supe mentioned. We oldtimers kinda ran out of steam. Maybe you and some of the new guys, flush with TM evangelism, can continue to carry the torch.
I think the recent boom in new players is due to several things - the new Demo, players submitting the demo to new download sites, favorable reviews, and word of mouth. It would be great to harness the power and enthusiasm of our new members to genterate a second new wave of players which could continue to propigate. In this way we shall conquor the world , uh , i Mean, always have huans to play on servers.
How about it NeoKi, Hammer and the rest of the class of 8-01?

EDIT BTW, Download.com still has not updated the treadmarks Demo

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited August 26, 2001).]

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 26, 2001 01:46 AM            
Some of you people are too stubborn; the best way to attract more people is by making more options. Like having major TM battleís more then once a week, this isnít the super bowl; we donít have to stick to the game plane. This is Treademarks, and what does TM have that many other games donít have, options, so why canít people have that sort of freedom when playing online.

Personally, I think we should change the battle from Sunday at 8:00 pm to Saturdays at 10:00 am. That way, people could have breakfast maybe watch some cartoons and then play online. Because, I know that at 8:00 pm I like to watch the Simpsons and Malcolm in the middle and then go to bed.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Rex R
posted August 26, 2001 02:14 AM            
10 am est I'm still in bed, as for 6pm est that kinda leaves me out sorry

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 26, 2001 04:21 AM            
Sorry Neoki,we bounced times around and playing Sunday evening seems to be the best time to get people.We don't have any problems getting players for the DDM.Just log on Sunday at 8est and you'll see I'm up for having something in the middle of the week,say around Wednesday night.We don't need to have a DDM I don't think.Maybe we can rotate with everything but a DDM?Screw it.I'm tired of talking:]
THIS WEDNESDAY,8EST,CTF.3 GAMES.SERVER TO BE DETERMINED.DAY OR TIME IS NOT NEGOTIBLE.BE THERE OR BE A LOSER!!!WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO SEE 15 PEOPLE ON ONE SERVER,PLAYING CTF.MAKE IT SO #1.AND I'M GOING TO KEEP A SPECIAL RANKING F0R THE WEDNESDAY STUFF SO IF YOU DON'T SHOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW THAT YOU SUCK AND YOU DON'T GIVE A RIP ABOUT THIS GAME OR IT'S CAUSE

BTW,Thanks to Ni,Turdheart and RC to be the only regulars to show up the whole 3 hours I was on the full servers last night The newbies outnumbered the regulars 2:1 Why don't you guys turn your TM cd into a coaster or a frisbee and get it over with(and yes I'm aware that there is no cd check for multiplayer).Jeeeezzzzz.

------------------

IP:

KONG
posted August 26, 2001 04:28 AM            
thanks supe, and i like alot of ppl cant make it in the middle of the week. the discussion continues...

i was on tonight, remember

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited August 26, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 26, 2001 04:43 AM            
Sorry I forgot you.Well......if we don't set a day and time now we'll talk about it forever and it will be forgotten like threads usually are.Someboby has to put their foot down and say a time.That guy is me I guess.I realize that time is not going to be good for everybody.But hey,I hear a lot of complaining about the Sunday DDM time but we still manage to pack the server.Daytime is a no no becasue people work and/or go to school.There shouldn't be a problem with playing Wednesday night.I'm sure people would complain about holding it any other day of the week.I'm just tired of all talk and little action.I must be the only one tired of seeing the same empty servers everytime I play.

------------------

IP:

Irascible
posted August 26, 2001 05:00 AM            
(forgive the tangent)

Seeing how Supe and no doubt countless others have "a girlfriend and a million other things going on", I wish to support this valiant effort by relieving the overly burdened of the one thing I don't have going on... a(their) girlfriend(s). This will leave me financially ruined, morally bankrupt and utterly insane - but I am willing to take a bullet for the team.

This act of altruistic self-sacrafice will create large... nay, VAST amounts of time for people to eat newbie lamb for breakfast while watching cartoons, (necessarily) schedule that open heart surgery while in jail, and get reaquainted with their first and only true love (or is it that harlet of a mistress?), Tread Marks. Please let me know if you're interested. I know (oh man, if you only knew) I am.

On a SERIOUS note (yeah, that's right, like I wasn't serious before... suuure...), is it a good idea to have as many servers up as is the case sometimes? I ask in absolute ignorance of what is optimal in such matters. I only ask because sometimes I'll be looking for people to play against and I'll find 6 or 8 servers up with almost nothing but AIs. And while I'm switching from one empty server to another, there's probably someone checking the server I was just at. Having less would make it easier to find people. Or, it would be nice if the server menu could tell you which ones have people on them. Like I said, I have no knowledge of such things... so take it easy on the heavy flamer.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 26, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted August 26, 2001 05:17 AM            
so you are saying that you are going to take a vow of celibacy for TM? lol

IP:

Irascible
posted August 26, 2001 05:48 AM            
Noooooooooooo! I was simply offering my... ahem... "services", in an attempt to free up time for others to devote themselves more thoroughly to the game they love. Though, come to think of it, taking the vow would not alter my life substantially. And if time served counts, consider it done.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2