|
Author Topic:   New server in the works
The Weatherman
posted August 23, 2001 01:31 PM         
I am working on a new server that I think will delight the modders that we hold so dear: A server featuring ONLY modded Tanks and new maps. Where does one go to get all of the nifto maps? I have the ones from Dreamer and RC. Does anyone have a map they want included (Kong)? Or a new tank for that matter ( I have allready got the ones on JV's and Dreamer's sites).

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 24, 2001 02:35 PM         
Okay, I have hit 2 walls.
#1, when I run new maps (RC's anyway) all of the spawns only generate health and ammo boxes. I have extracted files in to addons/maps

#2, The Super Maps zip is 6.2 MB and the super Tanks zip is 5.5 MB ! That is a lot of hamburgers. I was thinking of doing the server in 2 stages first maps, then tanks.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Woooowie! What have I been smoking? (nothing, honest!) I found the problem. Unbeknownst to me, I snuck into my TM directory and removed the weapons entity folder. Hehe. I think i was experimenting with setting up a Demo server at the time :P

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited August 24, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted August 24, 2001 03:01 PM            
a list of maps/tanks would be nice. some ppl might only need 1 or 2 items to fill in for the server

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 24, 2001 03:05 PM         
But of course. I will post those here and on my website referenced in the description.
I will prolly have some version up sometime this weekend. I have soem otherstuff going on. Basically, it is every tank I could find except for the DVS dukes (couldn't extracte them easily) and the RC mods (just settings changes).

IP:

Rex R
posted August 24, 2001 04:03 PM            
heh the 'dvs' tanks are just ents enableing the meshes. sounds good though bout the list, thanks.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 24, 2001 06:22 PM         
Phew, I just blew alot of time working this up so I hope it gets used I have not tested the new server extensively so any error reports or suggestions are welcome.
Basically I have stuck every new tank and map I could get onto the server. There is some really brilliant stuff here so please check it out.

Here is the readme for my newest server:
Here is the mod list for the Modded Tanks and Maps server. The server files are split into 4 parts:
Tanksalot Part 1.zip - everything but the art for the tanks
Tanksalot Part 2.zip - art for the tanks
Mapsalot Part 1.zip - everything but the art for the maps
Mapsalot Part 2.zip - art for the maps

These mods packs can be downloaded from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMWeatherServer , or you can get only the ones you are missing from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treadmarkmods ,
Dreamers site - http://www.tmvr.de and JVortex's site http://server2049.virtualave.net/jvortex/html/TM/Index.html and from links given here (a post by Random Chaos): /forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000159.html

Tanks are current as of 8.24.01. Please send any questions to johnsan@che.utexas.edu . Note, modders are fans with programming skills. Their only repayment is praise -If you really like their work, be sure to tell them at
Maybe they will put out more

Here are the Tanks and their authors

Aero by Orac£e
Baneblade by Lord Drow
Bonaparte by Lord Drow
Dunnerby Orac£e
Fury by NOPeR
Liquid Femme by Orac£e
Liquid Maul by Orac£e
Liquid Glider by NOPeR
Liquid Sith by Orac£e
Recon by Rex R
Skimmer by Author Unknown
Spade by Orac£e
SpiPlane by NOPeR
Tanker by JVortex
Tron Red by NOPeR
Tron Blue by NOPeR
StarTrek Voyager by JVortex
Klingon Warbird by JVortex
BlackWidow By Random Chaos

Also Included are the cool skins form JV's site by Author Unknown

NOte, there are some extra files that were included by the origanal authors that may be of interest to you : readmes, jpegs , etc
Simply unzip and place Addons folder in your TM root directory. Maps are current as of 8.24.01. Please send any questions to johnsan@che.utexas.edu . Note, modders are fans with programming skills. Their only repayment is praise -If you really like their work, be sure to tell them at
Maybe they will put out more

The Maps and their authors are:
Kong:
IO Base
Monument Valley

Noper with corrections by Dreamer:
Flyboy

Michael Ney (Random Chaos):

Map 1 - CTFNeyGalaxy2:
- Name: CTF Galaxy
- Size: 1024x1024
- Type: 2 Team CTF
- Recommended Players: 8-16
- Placement: End of CTF list
- Notes: The center pit is hard to get out of. Don't get caught.

Map 2 - CTFNeyPyramids4:
- Name: CTF Pyramids
- Type: 4 Team CTF
- Recommended Players: 16-20
- Notes: This map is based on a Mayan pyramid. The map can get
cramped with too many players.

Map 3 - CTFNeyRing4:
- Name: CTF Ring
- Recommended Players: 16-28
- Notes: Bring night vision gogles . Its a good, open map for
plenty of players.

Map 4 - CTFNeySpiral4:
- Name: CTF Spiral
- Recommended Players: 16-24
- Notes: There is a grove that runs between the upper plateu and
the flags and inner lake zone. Its not that easy to get
over. The only easy passage point is at the flags...but
that one is only one-way. I recommend going after the
flags from below rather then on the plateu.

Map 5 - DMNeyBasin4:
- Name: DM Basin
- Type: 4 Team DM (with team specific spawn points).
- Recommended players: 8-20
- Placement: Approximately 50% of the wat through DM list.
- Notes: Its a good open map for general play...

Map 6 - DMNeyMayan:
- Name: DM Mayan
- Size: 1024x1-1024
- Type: Standard DM
- Recommended Players: 4-12 (teams and no teams)
- Placement: Approximately 50% of the way through DM list.
- Notes: This map seems to me that it will get crowded with large
numbers of players. Based on a Mayan Pyramid.

Volcanic Isle
- Type: 3 Team CTF
- Special: Lava Sea (damage)
- Recommended Players: 9-18
- Notes: This is a good all around CTF map. Especially with a few weapons such as the Tornado! The lava will kill you FAST though.
Don't get in it if you can help it.

CTF Moat of Acid
- Special: Acid Moat (damage)
- Notes: This map lends itself to strategic defense as the best form of detering the flag carriers. The acid kills at a moderate rate such that you can cross the narrower portions with about 50% health loss.

CTF Poison
- Special: Poison River (damage)
- Notes: The river is crossable not at the bridges, but you will lose about 50% of your health. This map is a good one to play, but I'm not too happy with the coloring of the sky. I may fix that in an update.
- Special Note: This map does not use the standard "poison" directories. I will release an update that does use those dirs sometime. I have no idea when though.

DM Caves (beta)
- Type: Standard DM
- Recommended Players: 4-16
- Placement: Unknown (I believe it is end of DM list)
- Notes: Slippery (no, I haven't changed that - its a cave people! Just like the moon is low grav, this place is slippery!). Good all around DM map. New skybox.
- Special Note: I haven't had time to get back to work on the rockfall problem so I'm releasing it as is right now. I'll fix the rockfall in a couple months when I get back to this map.

Edit: fixed Links man I hate the UBB code sometimes

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 24, 2001 06:25 PM         
Maybe this can be a test bed for figuring out which tanks and maps should be added to modded DMS.

Oh, Rex - The problem I had with dukes tanks is all the special weapons he assigned as peashooters. I just didn't have the patience to track down all of the non-racetank mods.

EDIT: and thanks to Kong for giving me the idea to start a Yahoo group to serve files

Kudos to all of the modders who work I am presenting!

IP:

KONG
posted August 24, 2001 08:15 PM            
dont blame me i got the idea from superunknown.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 24, 2001 11:18 PM            
Wow,I did something and didn't even know it You'll have to downsize the compressed files if you plan on using Yahoo.They have like a 5 meg per file limit when uploading and I think it's the same way when downloading.You coud always get a program like MasterSplitter and split it up into smaller bite-size chunks or you can compress they Zip file into a RAR file(WinRAR) which usually makes it quite a bit smaller.Yahoo is kinda picky when it comes to the amount of data downloaded per club and also the amont uploaded.I did have a Freedrive account but no more.You might need to talk to Dreamer if you are having problems storing.I think he has plenty of space on his site.He offered to store some of the bigger modpacks on my club if I needed it.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 24, 2001 11:21 PM            
Doh,just noticed your post above.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 25, 2001 04:18 AM            
well actually I was refering to the 'new' tanks. rocker, elf 1/2track et al and not the modded originals. I can pull the ents for them if you like. oh and btw the authors of the 'skimmer' are both members of [BWL], namely peeeto and Rex R. tho I can understand the reasoning bout including the 'aero', you should know that tm has issues with its constuction, not serious mind you, but it will fill up a log complaining about triangles with more than 3 points(its a modeling thing) each time the mesh is loaded

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 25, 2001 09:38 AM         
Maybe someone could just fire up lithunwrap and correct the model? (two clicks after loading the model)

IP:

swisher
posted August 25, 2001 11:17 AM            
I get the message:
Oops... This group has exceeded the daily download limit (try again tomorrow) when tyring to download.

A good sign...

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

Rex R
posted August 25, 2001 02:33 PM            
when I tryed that the prog couldn't find anything wrong. as I understand it some modeling programs (light wave for 1) will let you make triangles with more than 3 points(think I understand how, just don't know how to describe it in 25 words or less).

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 26, 2001 03:05 PM         
Hey REx,
That would be great if you could dig those out, just for the sake of completeness.

Also, I realize there are problems with the CTF maps and I am working on fixing them. I believe the problem is server settings. Does anyone know the propper settings for 4 way CTF?
I have teams on , team scoring on, team damage off, maxteams = 4
Thx

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited August 26, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 26, 2001 05:30 PM         
The Server is fixed and Up and the Yahoo site is allowing downloads! If I goes down again, please download from the above list.

Please check this server out, there are some bitchin tanks and Maps

IP:

Random Chaos
posted August 26, 2001 05:43 PM            
Weatherman - if you have any more problems with the maps I made just give me an e-mail and I'll get you the ones I need fixed since I have fully working coppies.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 27, 2001 10:37 AM         
Thanks, RC. The maps are working fine now. TM is very picky about what server settings are compatible with 2 and 4 player CTF. What types of fixes have you done and are the new maps compatible with the old - i.e. Old on server, new in player dir or vice versa still work?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 28, 2001 10:16 AM         
RC is experiencing this :

"Something about your server (other then maps) is making me freeze up when I try to join it...not sure what."

I recommended that he download my packs to be sure he has all the same files. Maybe even remove his older Addons dir temporarily before adding mine.
The only freeze causing actions that players can take that I know are to login without the correct map dloaded, or to try to use an unsupported tank. Does anyone else have a clue?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 28, 2001 10:22 AM         
Also, If the wed nite ctf is on my new serrver, I would like for one or more people to mirror my 4 packs that are here : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMWeatherServer

Can anyone mirror my packs at least until Thursday? Dreamer, RC, JV?

IP: