|
Author Topic:   Flages whts with them?
NeoKi
posted August 22, 2001 01:12 PM            
How do you make flages, every time I try it just shows a black picture on my game screen.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 22, 2001 01:16 PM            
flags can have no more than 256 colors(8 bit) sooo you'll have to a)dither(color reduction) them down to 8 bit or b) if you are drawing making them from scratch use no more than 256 colors

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 22, 2001 02:30 PM            
Well whats a good way of changing a high color picture like a 16 bit to 256 8 bit picture?

IP:

JVortex
posted August 22, 2001 03:18 PM            
most pain progs will have something similar to "File ->Save As... and then will ask you what format you want to save the bmp in. others will have Image -> mode and then throw it into RGB colors or something similar. it really just all depends on your paint prog.

one thing i did was open up a stock flag just to set the color depth and pallet for the pict. then after that you can just paste/ paint whatever u like on there. then when done save as and save as a different file name.

hope that made any sense...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 22, 2001 05:02 PM         
LOL@"pain progs"!!!
Yup, you're right, most of them are a pain to use.

A few recommendations:

• Do not use the MS pain(t) - it's about the worst tool I've tried.
  • For painting: GIMP
  • For converting/viewing/scaling/browsing/thumbnailing: IrfanView

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the flags have to be 128*128 in size.
Do take the time to read the readme.txt in the [tread marks folder]/entities/insignia directory and create your own entity file for your custom flag in the [tread marks folder]/addons/enitities/insignia folder (which you'll probably have to create yourself) - stick to the rules of ENTegrety (the mod validator and packaging prog) if you want to distribute your flag as a mod so others can see it in-game (Tread Marks only transfers entity files, no graphics, models or maps when you join a server that uses mods you don't have) and you should be fine.
Don't forget to play in the meantime, tho.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited August 22, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted August 22, 2001 06:09 PM            
ok, so pain prog was a typo, but i guess it was fitting .

and yes, GET IrfanView!!! its a great little prog ive had for years and it just keeps on getting better. everyone should have it.

and ya, what he said, dont forget to play once in a while, hehe. most of "us" modders tend to get a little too much into modding and forget that you can actually play the game once in a while too even! altho i currently have a good excuse for not playing, a ping of 6000 is just not playable... ;(

IP:

Neo
posted August 22, 2001 06:52 PM            
someone stole my name........

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 24, 2001 12:29 AM         
Hey Neoki,
Be sure to submit any flags you intend to use online to Matrix or JVortex (see my link in my webpage). Unknown flags generate a repeating error on servers that could theoretically contribute to lag. Plus, no one else can see your flag unles they have downloaded it

Any other info for Neoki, o Keepers of the flag packs?

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP: