|
Author Topic:   Can't get any pings
NeoKi
posted August 22, 2001 11:19 AM            
When I launch my dedicated sever and then load treadmarks to check on it, it always shows that my sever has no pings. I can't seem to think of any way to change that.

What can I do to change that, so people can join my sever.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 22, 2001 11:51 AM         
Hmmm...
Does the master server not report any pings for your server?
Then maybe you are behind a router/firewall/proxy whatever.

OR

Is it simply impossible to connect?

I think that would be important to know.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited August 22, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted August 22, 2001 12:14 PM            
um are running(or trying to run) your server and tread marks on the same machine? if so then I believe you will always have 0 pings

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 22, 2001 12:17 PM            
not true rex. I do that all the time when a beta test JVs stuff and it always has a ping

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 22, 2001 01:09 PM            
I'm not real sure about the firewall thing but, I think it may have somthing to do with the comfig file in the main tm file

IP:

Rex R
posted August 22, 2001 01:19 PM            
oh. didn't know that. well live and learn.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 22, 2001 11:38 PM            
Thats weird,I would think it would have a 0 ping.Even when you run a server and play on a LAN,it's usully 0 or pretty close.

IP:

KONG
posted August 23, 2001 02:12 AM            
I believe u need 1 install for the server and 1 install to play. if u are running a server and playing over an internet connection. i dont think u can run 2 games off the same install. to b sure ask Skandranon.

IP:

desolation1900
posted August 23, 2001 11:12 AM            
Neoki- how do you have your machine hooked up to the internet? Through a LAN, Dialup, Cable modem, what? If you are connected through a router of any kind, it probably has a firewall enabled. If your just connected straight to the net through a DSL/Cable or Dialup modem then you probably have a problem in your config file.

Also make sure no virtual firewall software is installed on your system, or set by default by your ISP. I believe AOL and other useless internet provider's like it have some automatic firewall support to "save" their customers from incoming connections. And being the port that we connect on for gaming generally isn't supported on a firewall, if there is any hint of one it wouldn't allow connections to go into your machine.

Just a thought.

desolation

IP:

NeoKi
posted August 23, 2001 09:29 PM            
Well it turns out that I have some sort of box called LINKSYS that prevents people from seeing my IP address, It really sucks and basicly means that i CAN'T run a sever. and even if I connect directly to the cable modem in my house, I still can't have a sever. Not only that, but I won't even be able to get online. This really bites. My dad broke the news in a sort of, well to bad sort of voice. But thanks for all your help!
I really appreciated it.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

KONG
posted August 23, 2001 09:38 PM            
sounds like he planned it that way. oh well, better safe than sorry.

IP:

desolation1900
posted August 23, 2001 10:19 PM            
Neoki, with your linksys router you can configure it to accept incoming connections, but if you mess with the settings you can also screw up your network.

Basically, what you want to do is go into the router settings, and under forwarding select the port range 12000-13000 and have it forward to the internal IP address of your machine. You can get that by clicking the DHCP Clients Tables and it will tell you who is on the network. Your machine will be something like 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.100. Just forward the incoming connections to your IP and it should work. It is all explained in the owner's manual for the router, as is it on the LinkSys website. It will tell you how to get into the router and all, but you will probably need the password from your dad as well..unless he hasn't changed it from default (it's admin from default, and the default IP address is 192.168.1.1 ... type that into your address bar in IE and see if you get a password window. )

But if this is your dad's router, you may not want to mess with it has he may kill you. The older a person gets, the more anal they get about security and virus scanning their computer.

And if he asks you who told you how to break his router, uh, Kong did it.

desolation

IP:

KONG
posted August 23, 2001 10:37 PM            
he's gonna get his butt kicked! u know his dad probably has a log file running on the connection. if my kids messed with my hardware... bang,zoom to the moon,Alice.

IP:

desolation1900
posted August 24, 2001 11:24 PM            
Thats why he needs to make sure he disables and removes the log file, that way his dad doesn't realize he's done anything.

IP: