|
Author Topic:   An Odd Yet Important Question
JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 07:06 AM            
While playing TM has anyone noticed if on some maps X weapon will leave larger craters on one map than on another map?

i was playing one day and i think i noticed that on one map my bomb lobber was leaving larger (diameter and depth) craters than it was on the previous map. i really dont know for sure tho as this was quite a while ago and i just wrote it off as "Herrmmm... my, thats odd. Oh well." and gave it no further thought.

now i NEED to know if this is an option that truely exists in the map files. i have a few things planned that are hinging on weather or not this is even an option.

if anyone else has noticed this (or does in the near future) could you please reply here and tell which 2 maps you were playing on and aprox. what the size difference was in craters?

thanks guys.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 15, 2001 10:01 AM            
i think its to do with the maps gravity settings (i could be wrong) but theoretically if ya bomb travels higher and futher it would come down with more oomph ! - boom bigger crater, i noticed that on higher gravity setting like mine on the bz maps ( -23 ) the bomb lobber dont leave such a big crater at all.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 03:28 PM            
crap, i was affraid of an answer like that... so by that then in theory X weapon would leave a larger crater on the moon than the same weapon would leave on Gravitor. ill have to try that out at some point then. crap crap... this screws up my plans...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 15, 2001 07:13 PM            
now you don't have a choice. You have to tell us what you were planning

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 10:30 PM            
nope im not tellin, hehe. i figured a way aroud my problem. just gonna take some severe number crunching and a total re-write of TM physics to balance everything out, but i can manage that .

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 17, 2001 07:57 AM            
NO, there is an even more annoying answer to that question. Does anyone have the Diggin Drill? If you try to dig in one direction, sometimes you'll cut through the map like butter, But....... if you go the opposite direction, you'll need a rapid fire nuke missile launcher to do any digging. The ground on ALL maps has a distinct cleavage, as you could call it, if you go perpendicular to it, the game will tend to shove you in the direction of the cleavage if you're digging with the drill. Go ahead and try it, but it's only REALLY noticeable once you get into the water level of the map, then if simply WILL NOT DIG against the cleavage, but if you're above that plane, it won't be as much trouble. I have done SO MUCH DIGGING that I've found it the number one annoying bug still existing in Tread Marks, yet I always forget to tell anyone. And I bet others know about the quirk but don't remember, since it's JUST BARELY rememberable after you stop. I hate how bugs are forgotten as soon as you stop playing.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 17, 2001 11:08 AM         
You're 100% right, dudy. Noticed that too, but always forgot to mention it. Well, TM wasn't made for the mining guild - sad but true.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 17, 2001 02:53 PM            
i noticed that while i was making the plasma shovel. tho admitedly i really didnt know what i was even noticing at the time. i thought i was just screwing up my ent files. so i of course would go back when the hole wasnt big enough, change my ent's and then test again and next thing i knew the damn hole was WAY too big. so back to change it again i went...

i finally noticed that the effectiveness depended on what direction u were facing. kinda screwy.

IP: