|
Author Topic:   police tank?
KONG
posted August 10, 2001 11:47 PM            
jeez looeez. dont we have enough of that crap in the real world. been listening to discussions about it and i think it is a really bad idea. who decides who gets booted? do we have a trial? not that i doubt anyones integrity. sooner or later this is going to come back to haunt you. mark my words: YOU WILL BE SORRY THAT YOU STARTED THIS. no one knows what will happen tomorrow. we really dont have any troublemakers so i really dont see the need for this. seems kinda like nuclear deterence or sdi. we aren't going to use it but we should have it just in case. don't u think we as a community can handle any problems that arise? some mighty brite people here. the first thing we think is force. doh!

another thought- player A has been playing tm for years, player B is a newbie, both are fighting spitting and cussing like fieldhands. honestly, would u boot player A and lose a friend, player B and lose a new member who might have something to contribute. or would u boot both and risk no one showing on your server for fear of upsetting you. do we ask server operators to go after people because they p**ssed us off?

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited August 11, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2001 03:02 AM            
the aspiration of this project is to be used when the server op, is not available or not on ICQ. In such circumstance a police tank can be paged via ICQ. He comes in makes sure everyone plays nice and thats about it, really. Its only used if the dumb-butts are so distractive that people would rather leave the server then deal with the menace.

I respect the fact its not a toy, and it won't be used if someone pisses me off. Only for the most extreme cases, where as I said people start leaving the servers.

I also respect your input KONG and am happy your disatisfied, because where one person will yell it, theres probally 5 or more that are quiet and wish not to talk. Lets keep this conversation going.

I have yet to send it to the server ops, I'm waiting for more input.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 11, 2001 04:41 AM            
Like I said before I haven't had a problem with anybody on the full servers.It's the 1.01 demo server that has the rough necks for some reason???And thats ran by NGI who dosen't even to know that they are running it???The demo server still attaracts new people to the game(don't know how or why since you have to do some digging to find it)The policing tank wouldn't work on that server.That demo server needs to come down if nothing is going to be done about it.Thats still another issue that bugs me.Now that I've gotten off topic
The police tank might be needed in the future WHEN we get a bunch of new player,so I guess it's good that we can get something working now.Maybe I could run the tank since I'm a Criminal Justice major

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 11, 2001 03:32 PM            
Actually, just make a racetank entity for the server that is a SUPER tank with huge mass and armor and agility without a name, and then when something bad happens, open up TM after adding a name to the tank and you can use it at leisure to mess people up and no one can use it unless they know the entity name for it so you can have multiple trusted people to keep the server in line

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 11, 2001 03:32 PM            
Why can't I keep from drinking so much coffee? It makes me press so many buttons so many times

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited August 14, 2001).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted August 12, 2001 12:59 AM            
Why not just type /submit BadPlayers name. It sends it to the server op, or a guy on icq. For example Superunknown. It gives him the list of all the chatting going on. That way people in the game who might be biased aren't baning people, its soembody else looking in fomr icq. You might even go so far as not to have it name teh people. Just person A and person B and C..........etc They send a warning ortwo to person a, b, c, Then everybodys happen *or so we hope,* btw dudy r you seeing double tonight?

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 12, 2001 02:09 AM            
Actually, now there's an idea. How about giving TM itself a hook built into the server that would allow an ICQ user the ability to watch the chat going on in a server. Just allow for some kind of a feature for those who aren't sitting at the console to view what is going one there and interact with the TM chat system without having to log into the chat server.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 12, 2001 04:57 AM            
I like these ideas alot more then mine. But, they require LDA implementation. I think they want to limit the vulnerability of their servers though, not exploit them even more.

I always thought that one possible idea would be. To have the server ops be able to put the IP addresses of trusted people onto some sort of log, and people with their IPs in that log could have the ability to boot ban or at least grab everyone elses IP# so that the server op can keep a look out next time.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

KONG
posted August 12, 2001 12:09 PM            
if you run a server with a firewall running, doesn't it collect the ip of all the players that log on?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 12, 2001 03:35 PM            
There has to be a dozen little programs that can log IP's for you.I'll do a search
Course you would have to be able to do something once you got the IP.............

IP:

synack
posted August 12, 2001 05:02 PM         
Don't know how much good it would really do to log IP addresses for banning purposes. If I'm on a dialup, and you ban me, I disconnect from my ISP, reconnect, and I've got a new IP address.

If I'm playing on a network with a firewall with NAT turned on, and you ban the IP address you see, you'll ban anyone from that entire network from playing.

I guess it would work with xDSL, but I just really wonder if it's worth the trouble.

just my $.02

IP:

Rex R
posted August 12, 2001 07:24 PM            
from what I've seen the server logs do contain the ip of the clients(as client #'s) also from my isp only the port number changes(last 3 no.s) everything else stays the same

IP:

synack
posted August 13, 2001 04:18 AM         
When you say the last 3 numbers, if you mean the part on the end of 123.456.789.xxx, the 'xxx' isn't a port number, but rather the last octet in the IP address. But yes, the 123.456.789 part would typically remain the same from a given network/ISP.

[This message has been edited by synack (edited August 13, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted August 13, 2001 04:37 AM            
thats what I meant. thx for clearing that up fer me

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 13, 2001 09:55 PM            
If you run behind a proxy like I do then your whole IP changes everytime you reboot.Then there are IP spoofers that change or block your IP.But still,do you know how annoying it would be to have to reboot,connect,and join the game everytime you get banned I think out number one priority is to get some kind of bann/boot ability up and running.Worry about the other stuff when the time comes.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 14, 2001 01:29 AM            
as i understand the server op can kick players but, that isn't overly practical when the op and server are in different locations

IP:

Paranor
posted August 14, 2001 04:56 PM            
you can do what I do and install a remote control package.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 14, 2001 11:42 PM            
Thats a good idea Paranor.Get something like PCAnywhere where you can control the server even if you are not at the server computer.
And Rex,I didn't know there was already a way to bann.Thats what I get for never running a server.But I'm sure you wouldn't have too much fun aon a 56k server
I've already noticed a few full version players,which shall remain nameless,that are changing teams when they think they are about to die.Come on people!Do me a favor and go to a dictionary and look up the word "sportsmanship".That just isn't right.Somebody works hard to wear you down then goes in for the kill when you change teams.Booohhhhh

IP:

Rex R
posted August 15, 2001 02:17 AM            
you can find the server commands in 'server comands.txt' in your main TM folder. they include; /list which will list all humans on the server. offhand can't recall the others 'xactly but, you enter them from the server chat box

IP: