This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Calling all Players and Modders!!
LordDrow
posted July 31, 2001 10:59 PM            
Hey folks, I feel we are overdue for a meeting of the minds so to speak. We need to get a serious group discussion regarding a number of issues within both the players and modders communities. I propose we have a community meeting this Saturday evening starting at roughly 6 PM Mountain Standard time. I will initiate the discussion using NetMeeting. Will be a public discussion room called TM Players and Modders or something very similar. This meeting will be meant to be an open forum for players and modders to discuss concerns, problems and issues regarding the development of new mods, maps and other toys.

Again, 6PM Saturday, August 4th.

Please, lets try to help and increase our community awareness and presence.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 31, 2001 11:28 PM            
I second the necessity of such a forum. As a modder, there are many issues & probs. we need to address. Also, you can corner us modders and give us your Christmas lists (for Santa, of course!) Please attend.

--lb

IP:

Vlad
posted July 31, 2001 11:33 PM            
Guh? What type of issues are you referring to?

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 31, 2001 11:44 PM            
Good question. One issue is how/if/to what extent we should try to standardize our modding procedures to make things easier for the players and for things like unmodding. (This isn't as clear-cut an issue as it might seem. There are important issues of artistic freedom and intellectual property involved.) No one person can impose these rules. We need to begin to adopt conventions to balance the interests of all parties involved.)

--lb

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 31, 2001 11:47 PM            
Good answer LB!

LordDrow

IP:

KONG
posted August 01, 2001 12:17 AM            
i already have a feeling that this discussion is open to all persons but you would rather that only modders attend. if you really wanted allpeople it should be discussed right here.

i have this strange feeling that certain people, not specifically the ones in this thread are using the community to further their own interests.

i am glad that there are people out there talented and skilled enough to do this exceptional work. it is greatly appreciated.
thank you all modders.

i have but one gripe. if you are running a server with mods can you please please save your mods for an update pack, say at least every 3-4 months.

on weekdays i am only in front of the screen for a few hours after work. i log on to my fav server only to find out everything is invis. there goes a half hour to dload and install mods. another 30 megs on the hard drive. and a week or two later those aren't used anymore just to b replaced by another dload.

the mods are great and are appreciated but pleez just slow it down a little and let us enjoy your work for a little while.

and as a side note. a thank you to skandranon for keeping his server stock.

those of u who have seen my posts know that this is probably the longest i have ever typed andthere will probably never b one this long again.

thank you

oh and just a reminder, some players only have a dialup connectionso it is quite a task to dload even 15-20 megs

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited August 01, 2001).]

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 01:08 AM            
Okay, why not have the discussion here? Only because direct chat is actually faster than this forum. All can voice questions, opinions and suggestions easily and civilly. I believe if Supe can make himself available, any rude or disruptive elements can be controlled. Not to assume Supe! Just hoping. }:-)
To give you an example:

Previous mods and some new do use some of the files from both LDA's stock files and reuse them in a renamed format to ease distribution. I have used a couple of LDA's files renamed to package it easily but I call out all items I have used in my readme claming no personal credit for the specific files I know I did not originate. I have done so with permissions from others to make the things I do as long as I make no money from their intellectual property and give due credit in my readme's. Other Mods I have run across blatantly take parts from the same sources as I but do not give credit for others work. How should we deal with this.
Look, I am a true newbie to the Mod making community, but I love this game, I have a blast making the mods. I do wish I were paid to do this stuff for a living, but thats not WHY I do it. It's fun. I get my biggest kick from trying to make a neat, balanced and original design or used of an effect. Some of my stuff is original, some of my stuff is by rote by studying the entity files and figuring what the effect does, and modifying it to my needs. Other things as I think of them I won't outright claim, but I will have hopefully have devised myself.
We need to figure out the limits of how this should work. Almost all of my current work is dirivative in one manner or another. I don't claim directly to have been the originator for most of my works other that as having used other effects making both large and small changes. This overall has been how other mods have been created. My model ideas are drawn for sources that I give credit to, my weapons have been hodgepodged together from other modders and LDA's weapons. I don't do this for money, I do it for love of the game. But as a community we have to agree on naming conventions(if for nothing more that ease of removal for the PC barely literate). But we have to do this as a group.
Easiest way to do that hopefully friendly like and in a useful manner is live as a GROUP.
I do hope this sounds reasonable.

LordDrow

PS I am working on a set of mod files for my server now that I will be making available. Tanks are available now. All have been run through entegrity and check out, just have to do some file copy/renaming to bring the readme's into line with entegrity naming conventions.

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 01:48 AM            
Okay, meeting date will be Saturday, Aug. 4th at 6 PM MST @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treadmarkmods
in the chat room as suggested by Kong.
thanks!

LordDrow

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 01:54 AM            
Oh, and as to your thought that I want modders only. Very wrong. I would like to see just how large our currently seriously interested community is. I know we have some people even newer than myself playing, many have shown up lately due to the sluggy review. I want to know both for our sake and hopefully the sake of LDA just how much grassroots support we really have. This game rocks now, but could be a LOT more than it is now. Who know, maybe even a PlanetTreadmarks someday that makes all other games look weak. I don't know. I do know this game has up til now been way underrated and I am trying to help in any way I can.

LordDrow

IP:

Rex R
posted August 01, 2001 02:23 AM            
naming conventions is 1 aspect also archiving methods. giving due credit is yet another. those are just the things I can think of for modders. Kong is correct about server ops. cornell is an offender when it comes to not saying which mods they are running(not a big problem IF the mods are server side only, at present they are not) dunno maybe they do post that info somewhere, I have not found it yet. FYI this eve they were running; mortar, sdi, afterburner(these need meshes) as well as the darknova, minelauncher and, the shatter missile(which needs fixing). think most of the other server ops know enough to mention where to grab the server pack. and as you have mentioned, modders and server ops need info as what ppl want. personally I think that server mods should be limited in number to say under 10 mods at any given time. also themes are good. example the humor theme use mods like the sheep (both types) kangas etc.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 01, 2001 02:30 AM            
Why don't you use ICQ chat. Everyone already has ICQ and you can just invite everyone on the ICQ list from TM.

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 02:41 AM            
May work, but the Yahoo groups is as good as anyplace, and anyone that knows of others that would be interested in this discussion could be told by friends. We could all an an ICQ contact list exchange as well. IF overall group preference is for ICQ Chat, will go that route. For now, plan on Yahoo groups and invite anyone that doesn't frequent these forums.

Thanks!

LordDrow

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2001 06:06 AM         
NOT everybody has ICQ.

MST - sorry, but I am not familiar with such exotic time zones - could somebody please translate that into GMT?

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 10:21 AM            
don't have my MST to GMT decoder ring available, but roughly midnight your time I believe Dreamer. Should be same time as last sundays DDM for you. MST is Mountain Standard time, and for an example. 8pm EST (Eastern Standard Time) is two hours later than MST. So 8PM EST converts to 6 PM MST, and I believe(not sure though) that GMT is 4 hours later than EST. Add the two and you get my rough guesstimate. And if you aren't thoroughly confused by this ramble, you are really good. }:-P

LordDrow

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 01, 2001 02:21 PM         
Interesting idea, LD. It does sound like it it more for the modders - but would be informative to players. Have you invited Jim? I am sure he would be interested and could give the ever elusive LDA perspective on things.

LD is right on the time, too.
For the record,
Pacific is -8:00 GMT
Mountain is -7:00 GMT
Central is -6:00 GMT
Eastern is -5:00 GMT
Take 6pm MST, add 7 hour = 12 am GMT (had to count on my fingers )
I don't know how Daylight Savings time comes into play, but this should work for now.

There is also a cheat to find out what time it is in other countries. (Assumes you time and timezone are correct and you have DST on)
Double click the time in the lower RH corner of you windows task bar. Select Time Zone Tab. Select the Time zone where you want to be. Hit apply - your clock jumps to local time at your place of interest. Be sure to reset you timezone before you close it out!

Another way to use this is to set your time zone and clock to a posted meeting time: ie. 6pm mst. hit apply. Then change time zone to where you live : i.e. if you live in Greenwich. hit apply. then your clock jumps to local time when the event will start - so, Dreamer will have to be awake at Midnight GMT to participate in the discussion. Be sure to reset you clock when you are through ! http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html is an excellent time synch utility

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited August 01, 2001).]

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 02:41 PM            
Thanks for the confirmations, etc. WM. Some of the primary discussion WILL pertain specifically to modders, but I really want the entire community to be part of this and get any ideas, suggestions and desires from the players just as much as I would like to see the developers come to a few agreed upon methodologies.

LordDrow

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 01, 2001 03:39 PM            
Yep, sent an invite in general to any from LDA that would like to attend. Hoping we will get a good response. }:-)

LordDrow

IP:

Neo
posted August 01, 2001 03:47 PM            
Why don't you use the Treadmarks chat feature that's included in the game? I don't think it's ever been used.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2001 04:42 PM         
Neo - it has been used.

IP:

swisher
posted August 02, 2001 09:11 AM            
Another way to do time conversions is: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 04, 2001 10:52 AM            
Well, from this moment in time just add on 10 hours to your clock and that's when. it'll be on in ten hours from now I guess, since it's err wait no, it's almost 11, so make that 9 hours, heheheh. Anyhoo, I don't have icq on my grandparent's cpu or my uncles and I have never used yahoo before, do I need any explainations or is it pretty self-explainitory (I'm a person who was able to install linux the first time correctly and learn basic use in 1 day and pro use in 3 days... in case you're wondering how fast I am... and to some that's slow, maybe even to a bunch of people I'm a little slow). Okay, gtg, I'll discuss later... MUST PLAY SCORCHED EARTH.... WOOOOOOOOO! *runs off with pies after pick-pocketing LordDrow*

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 04, 2001 12:58 PM            
Yes, should be fairly self explanatory Dudy. Go to the website, Join yahoo groups if you aren't already a member. Login, after joining or if you are a member. Then Join the Treadmarks group. After that you should have access to everything there.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

TazIzaT
posted August 04, 2001 01:26 PM            
Will the discussion going on an 1 hour later? I'm new to Tread Marks and would like to lurk but won't be able to until after it has started..

------------------
TazIzaT

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 04, 2001 01:27 PM         
Neo - the master server chat interface might really be a good place to do this...

IP:

TazIzaT
posted August 04, 2001 01:39 PM            
Do I get to this thru TM?

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2