|
Author Topic:   Kinda back to the boot/ban topic
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 18, 2001 10:19 PM            
Alright....maybe a boot and ban feature for regular players is too much to ask for.What about the ability to mute a player so you don't have to listen to them.I've see that feature in a lot of games but I'm unsure about how its done.Also,if you mute somebody,that somebody has to know it so maybe they will shutup and give the other players a break.Maybe say,"Player So and So has muted player Rude" in the chat box.I'm just really tired of having to play with rude 12 year olds and not having anything to do about it.
Any REALISTIC ideas that wouldn't be to much trouble to impliment?I'd like to do more than just talk about it this rime.I'd like to actually get something done.

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 19, 2001 02:33 PM            
Guess not

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 19, 2001 05:00 PM         
An idea - maybe.
An external packet sniffing prog listening on the same port as TM.
Simply decode the way TM stores data in UDP datagrams and filter those. If the prog is quick enough, it should add only marginal lag.

I don't have time to implement such a prog, though... but the TM datagrams look like the caht parts might be quite simple to find and decode.

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 19, 2001 05:21 PM         
Another way might be to annoy people by using an invisible (=only available to the server and a selected person) tank.
The server operator could change that tank's main entity file name on a regular basis to prevent abuse and "referees" would have to be sent the current file name to connect using a specific name and simply hunt down offending players all the time with a tank with almost infinite armor ratings and a total killer for a weapon. Might actually work.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 19, 2001 08:57 PM            
i explained how to do all this in an earlier post, cos im already actively using the method successfully with battlezone.

ps: i thin we should rotate sheild harmonics on a modulation of say 582.90 utilising some kind of terrawatt powersource.

my 2p.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 19, 2001 11:16 PM            
I beleive the invisi tank with great armor and incredible weapon was my idea first
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001152.html

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 20, 2001 02:11 AM         
Note that I do not claim that my post contains an original idea.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 20, 2001 02:23 AM            
Sounds great but it wouldn't work for the 1.01 demo(since there's only 3 tanks availible.Thats mainly where I find the trouble makers.I don't think I've ever had a problem with a full version player.That demo is still in circualtion and there's new people coming on there all the time at a steady pace,so we can't simply ignore it.And nothing major has changed in the other demos all the way up to 1.6.I haven't thought of using external commercial software.I'll check into it.I don't know how you could impliment it into the server though.Meaning how would you broadcast to all the players that you are muting somebody?

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 20, 2001 02:56 AM            
Note that I do not claim that your post said it was the original idea.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 20, 2001 08:04 AM         
I don't think I claimed that you claimed that...

IP:

synack
posted July 20, 2001 10:02 AM         
I exclaim!

[spam]

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 20, 2001 01:06 PM            
Matrix,

About the shield harmonics technobabble...make it so, Mr. LaForge! I'll be on the bridge pulling my shirt down and talking about ethics to the ceiling.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 20, 2001 02:58 PM            
?

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 20, 2001 03:33 PM            
Have you ever noticed how if you pull a cotton swab's edges just right you make this litle spindle like shape that is great for doing nothing? Funny thing, I learned this because I was putting alcohol on some dog inflicted wounds (-=>>>NEVER<<<=- slap your doberman on the side of its snout while bouncing and sitting on a trampoline) and windows shut down yelling "General Protection Fault" because the phone rang... REALLY, EVERY STINKIN TIME THE PHONE RINGS my grandparent's computer bellies over in self pitious blue screenings... and I got so board because I had just finished typing in some hacks that took me 30 minutes to make in a DOS game that I started picking at the cotton swab, trying to avoid the pain that cotton swabs-o-alcohol create. OOOOH, I could patent that shape and affect... WEEEEEEE! *bounding off for the post office*

------------------

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 26, 2001 01:41 PM            
Again me, Super, Kong, Korea Army had to mess with a SUPERUNKNOWN imposter in the demo(1.0) servers. There needs to be a way to ban these players that enjoy interrupting game play with their stupid $hit. Luckily he played really bad and we all smacked him around but there are those that are harder to teach a lesson too.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 26, 2001 04:13 PM            
I contacted the Tech Dept. at ngi.it.I asked if there would be a way to boot/ban people or at least let me see the server logs where maybe I can dig out their IP's.They just keep crossing the line because they know we can do nothing about it now.Guess its how they get their kicks,tryig to piss people off.I even asked NGI if I could somehow get server op control of the TM server.The site is all in Italian and I hope they speak English.Is anybody good in speaking Itialian?They do run a very professional hosting service will a lot games hosted.And they stay up to date so I know they're still in business.But they don't even list TM as a hosted game?I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope something can be done about these two guys,and I better not ever find it was one of you guys!I say that because one of them knew I was from TN,which they could only know that by looking at my profile.And second,one of them is good which leads me to believe they've been playing a while and its somebody that I know.

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 31, 2001 08:55 PM            
Soooooo what makes you think that the support people know that the TM servers they're giving exist and that they don't think you're just another person trying to waste THEIR time. *laughs* I assume that maybe they don't even understand you with the english n' all or maybe they can't get a reply address from you. I've heard of other people trying before with no luck on contacting them...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 01, 2001 12:01 AM            
Well...they host all of the major games and they are all in English so I know that somebody there speaks it.I did email them but no reply so far.You right...they don't know that I'm telling the truth but I think it is their duty to make sure the servers stay clean.If you look at other servers for larger games almost all of them contain somebody that can boot the bad boys off.

IP:

lordbyron
posted August 01, 2001 01:00 AM            
Super--

I speak/read passably well in Italian, if that helps.

--lb

IP:

KONG
posted August 01, 2001 01:31 AM            
i dont think it is going to help lb. ngi makes their money renting game servers they are not about to upset their customers with any of this. it may just be an employee running the game and they dont know about it.

question?: why does lda still accept heartbeats from a 1.0.1 demo server? why not, most players here started playing on ngi server and sheldons. by the way he had his server up for a few days about a month ago. has anybody asked lda if they rent that server?

IP: