|
Author Topic:   Server Suggestions and some Questions
The Weatherman
posted July 09, 2001 11:19 AM         
Hi Treads,
I was hoping to get some feedback on the Race server now that a few people have tried it. Please give me any suggetions that you have for it - maps, mods, settings etc. .

The demo server is populated by a host of AI versions of TM regulars. If you think you have been missed and want to be added, let me know and I will take care of it. If you are on the list and don't want to be, do the same. EDIT: I have posted a copy of my tanknames.txt on my site.

Finallly a question to the other servers out there. I notice there is always a tiny lag when the MP3's are changing. Are the MP3's coming off of the server or are they stored locally? If I remove the MP3's from the server's directory, will everyone be spared the little skips? Also, can I inflict my musical choices on players by replacing the stock MP3s? If the mp3's are all local, can players opt to prevent the skip by removing their stock mp3's (I have noticed that CD's and MP3's play smoothly in the background during a TM game when the TM's music is turned down)

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited July 09, 2001).]

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 09, 2001 11:49 AM            
I usually just shut music down. Then use either WinAMP in the background or run my stereo. Don't know about the in game music coming from the server. Was kind of curious about that myself.

=DNX=LordDrow

IP:

swisher
posted July 09, 2001 12:07 PM            
Music is local. Music lag is a known issue. It started when TM went to MP3 format.

I like the idea of names like: "WhyNotBuyTheFullVersion" and so on. They're an ingeneous way to advertise it. Perhaps names like "NukesInFullVersion", etc., too. I opt for having all solicitations in lew of player names, but that's MHO.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited July 09, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 09, 2001 12:15 PM         
Does everyone hear the same music - i.e. does the server try to synch the music (I don't know why it would)?

IP:

swisher
posted July 09, 2001 12:17 PM            
No. Music is not server driven. You can point TM to your own MP3 directory via config file settings, though (like C:\My Music\").

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

Paranor
posted July 09, 2001 01:40 PM            
Am I the only one who doesn't have music on within TM?!?!?!

I like the tank names in reference to the regulars (had fun blowing myself up!) and teasers to order the full version.

Swisher: had fun with you and robu1 kicking my butt last night, wow!

IP:

JVortex
posted July 09, 2001 01:52 PM            
Swisher, whats the line to add in for a custom music directory??? ive been wanting to do that for ages, didnt think there was a way to do it tho.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 09, 2001 02:16 PM            
Paranor: Nah, I don't run music in-game. As I said in my previous posting, I either have music running on my home stereo, or in winamp. Leave the music off in TM, an most of my other games as well.

=DNX=LordDrow

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 09, 2001 05:29 PM         
Thanks for the info gents. Spam is good food (k - i wanted to test my signature)

------------------
The Weatherman
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

swisher
posted July 09, 2001 11:14 PM            
Jv:

I don't know the command for music path. I know it exists, however. It was introduced in 1.55. I searched the posts, but couldn't find it. I recommend opening another post with specific subject line for quicker response.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 10, 2001 03:31 PM            
I just simply drop mp3's into TM's music folder.I didn't have a problem with the default TM music but some of the songs were too quite or very annoying once you heard it 500 times.I have to have some Metal pumping when I play

IP:

ni
posted July 10, 2001 04:35 PM            
I know Super, SoundGarden any1?!?! hehe

I've done that too, but there must be a more simple alternative, like JV's suggesntion of TM looking for your MP3 in a shared folder, like it looks for the Add On file!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 10, 2001 05:41 PM            
So why doesn't someone just start a ShoutCast network radio station calle 'Tread Heads' or something?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 10, 2001 11:47 PM            
Sorry ni......It wasn't till well after the fact that I got this name that I found out Soundgarden had a song called Superunknown.People keep saying,"so you like Soundgarden huh?" and I would go,"No,why?"

IP:

Rex R
posted July 11, 2001 01:42 AM            
Re; playing mp3's
most recent answer to this is under the topic 'Altering the in game music path'

IP:

desolation1900
posted July 11, 2001 11:22 AM            
Weatherman, I liked your map selection, there is a variety that keeps the skill levels balanced, that way you don't have one person just continually winning over and over which I think will discourage others -- or make that person a more likely target during the DM.

I think the Boneparte(sp) tank should be added, or atleast tested. Its a pretty sweet tank, but it might prove to be too fast / too big of a gun for a race.

I still vote for the addition of the 240mm if it isn't already on...and that missile that sends out a spread of cluster bombs (in the kasplattt pack i think) .. more to hammer the track the better.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 11, 2001 11:27 AM         
k, will add today. thanks for the input

IP:

Rex R
posted July 11, 2001 12:23 PM            
I believe the one he is refering to is the 'grenade' bomb. got to use that one with care as it will lag a server(all those little craters/scorch marks)

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 11, 2001 01:00 PM         
Okay, here is the newest race mod list
240mm - NOPeR/Orac£e
Acid Cloud - Vlad
After Burner - Lord Byron
Bonaparte + 150mm - LordDrow
Das Tornado - Target/ JVortex
EMP - Random Chaos
Plasma Shovel - JVortex
Radmine Layer - Dudymas
Random Weapon - ?
Tree Strike - Random Chaos

Thanks to all modders involved
I have posted a new addonpack on my website here : http://home.austin.rr.com/treadmarks/RaceYaAddons.zip

I will take more mod suggetions but I won't update them for about a month - Que perezoso!

------------------
The Weatherman
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 11, 2001 04:29 PM            
I have a suggestion too, but its for the demo server. 4 AI tanks seem to little and 6 AI tanks seem way to much can you set it to 5 AI tanks for awhile.

IP:

JVortex
posted July 11, 2001 05:19 PM            
just a side note, but RC did the random weapon generator as well. althought the new question mark model for it was designed by Rex R.

also theres a crap version of the tree strike as well. well crap meaning really screwed up. it causes excessive lag to servers due to bad calls. i dont recall specifics and i dont even remember if i the version on my site or not. launch a tree strike and check youir server window for errors.

also adding in Vlads Mine Thrower seems like it would be nice there as well.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 11, 2001 06:07 PM            
Wow.... Thanks for including Bonaparte guys. Now I really have a reason to check the Race server more often. hehehe. Glad you like the tank.

=DNX=LordDrow

IP:

Rex R
posted July 12, 2001 04:34 AM            
ahem, WM check your mail. I found some probs with the server pack. see JV you're not the only one I send 'notes' to.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 12, 2001 09:06 AM         
Eeeep! Well, I think I have fixed those prollems and the current RaceYaAddons.zip should be solid (as far as I can tell). I will eventually add the mine trower when I am not so lazy

IP: