This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   No More DDMs
coax
Administrator
posted July 01, 2001 09:33 PM            
Sorry turnout today guys. Max 8 players during the entire game. And only 5 players during the 3rd match. Couldn't even count the third match because there was less then 6 players and there was an AI roming around. I was first too.

So I decree no more DDMs for a month(4 weeks) so that more intrest will build up and more people will attend.

IP:

KONG
posted July 01, 2001 09:50 PM            
need to change the format once in a while . mod, no mod team, no team. different servers?

IP:

Paranor
posted July 01, 2001 10:56 PM            
It was my wife's birthday so I was on tour with her in beautiful Door County, WI.

I agree with KONG and this has been brought up before in another thread about switching formats. DDM one week, RACE next week, clan battle the next and then DDM again? etc, etc.

IP:

Kegel
posted July 01, 2001 11:49 PM         
I couldn't make it....girlies bday tonight. I was on earlier though beating up on coax :P

Don't stop the DDM's....maybe ad a mod or something to freshen it a bit though...need more nukes. Ahhhh...the good ol days. Anyways...dont start bailing on this game...its one of the better ones out there and the community was just starting to come together. Wheres the love?!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 02, 2001 12:39 AM            
Still had fun with the low turnout.Weatherman,I was calling you Satan becasue you were making near impossible shots and never missing.It was a compliment Got disconnected from the last one,thats why I left.I figured by the time it took me to clode the game,dial back up,start the game again,and conncet to the server I would be too far behind.
I agree,we should stop for 2 or 3 weeks so the intrest builds back up.So everybody can practice til then and be better than ever.............right?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 02, 2001 06:31 AM            
I think ppl r just fed up of non-smooth games, ie looking at a slideshow....

In other words LAG.

When u guys gonna realise that tournaments shoud be set accross several servers not just 1, and if ones laggy, appologise and leave, then start on another server.

BZ tourneys started like this one and have built the bz community because ppl did it this way - now more than 200 ppl regularly turn up to tourneys.

IP:

ni
posted July 02, 2001 07:03 AM            
Here here Rixy!! Free the UK players...from lag!!!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 02, 2001 07:09 AM         
Yah, a rest may be in order. These things go in peaks and troughs, like the play in DDM. I got #1 by a comfy margin (thanks for the comp. Supe ), Supe took #2 with a commanding margin, and coax had an impossible to close lead before the game stopped due to insufficient players. Excellent playing all around - i saw LB have some great fragging streaks (frightening) and I just gave up on trying to knock Kong off hilltops ( he's wicked when he makes a stand ).

I don't think lag was an issue in this one - so few players that the server was unstressed. I think it was a combination of regulars off having lives and DDM fatigue. I will put up the race server today and see what happens. I propose either a clan war or a race next sunday.

Lets have some votes on what people are up for. If it be war, BWL and TC are invited if they don't mind being allied with either LWA or DNX to make even sides.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 02, 2001 07:09 AM         
Darnit - I really only hit the button once!

Oh, I will run up stats on games 1 and 2 (coax dropped before I got his score in the third). I can send screen shots to interested parties. The stats page has already been updated with DDM 11.

BTW - welcome to Desolation 1900 who made his DDM debut and showed himself handy with the swarmers and flamer

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited July 02, 2001).]

IP:

desolation1900
posted July 02, 2001 11:15 AM            
I would've stuck in a bit longer, but my hand-cramp was reducing my skill to such a point it was making me look bad.

Yeah, thats it.

I'd be up for a race next time, it might give people like myself who need to practice a bit more with the A.I a better standing.

The lag wasn't too bad, a bit, but only a couple of times did it effect anything.

IP:

JVortex
posted July 02, 2001 01:26 PM            
i have the girlie excuse as well. women can be quite demanding when it comes to time... come to think of it i never even turned my computer on yesterday.

IP:

peeeto
posted July 02, 2001 02:05 PM         
heh heh heh... JV, you're not even married yet! LOL - just wait 'till THEN...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted July 02, 2001 03:30 PM            
Just for reference I checked the score on game three just shortly before Coax left, and he had 23 frags to everyone elses 1 digit scores. Well maybe one other person was in the two number column, but Coax was way ahead. LB and myself were in the 3 or 4 range if I remember correctly and both said we could not seem to get a frag for anything. Coax just seemed to be at the right place EVERY time in that game before disconnecting.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 02, 2001 03:41 PM            
Matrix,how would runnig more than one server work?You have to remember we don't have the players that BZ has.How would you decide who goes where and then who fights who.You don't want a person who usually places in the top 3 to play on a server full of new people or mediocre players.I think the lag ,if any, we were seeing was just coming from us playing during peak interent hours,not from too many people.
Maybe the next one we have can be held on a mod server if it can handle it.Or maybe throw in a CTF for the second game.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 02, 2001 05:15 PM            
Sorry I didn't make it to the DDM server last night folks, roomies made me take a night off from modelling and playing. Went WAY off the beaten track even for someone living in Utah.
Should be at most of the games this week and upcoming weekend. Just need someone to send me a schedule so I know where and when to be.
If I can't make a specific game I will try to let you folks know a day or 2 beforehand.

LD

IP:

TurdHeart
posted July 02, 2001 10:02 PM            
Ugh... and I was SO ready!
Relentless storms out here last night...
I mighta missed DDM, but I'll be lookin' out fer y'all!

IP:

desolation1900
posted July 03, 2001 11:15 AM            
What also might help is if there is a posted schedule of some sort that is easier to find. Many people may not even come into the forum who would be potential DM players. I had been playing for several weeks waiting for the full version before I found the forum.

Perhapes LDA could put a link on the main TM site for the "multiplayer site" where someone could update a schedule and have hotlinks to all of the required mods.

May help, or may not. Either way it would be helpful for people wanting to find the schedule real quick.

deso

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 03, 2001 12:17 PM            
I beleive Superunknown is trying to do that with a yahoo group.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 03, 2001 01:28 PM            
I was't planning on making a schedule but I can try.It does have a calender feature,but I haven't used it before.I'll tinker around with it and see is its of any use .
Also,you guys that have links under your messages.I can't find a way to have my link come up automatically.Is it something that has to be typed in all the time?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 03, 2001 03:01 PM            
the links beneath the name is the signature option you can update it from your profile. You have to click show signature with every post you make its not automatic.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 03, 2001 03:03 PM            
I just type in my full link every time Super. This way I am fairly sure of it working. I haven't tried using the signature thing, but that is what I believe the others are doing, just putting their link into the signature and clicking the check mark before they submit their post.

LD

IP:

Neo
posted July 03, 2001 08:47 PM            
lol ok, kinda late for this but if anyone is interested, I posted Weatherman's screenshots from DDM 12 onto my site: http://www.100megsfree4.com/neos

Also updated some of the other sections, feel free to snoop around.

IP:

Robu1
posted July 04, 2001 01:19 AM            
Neo, that picture doesn't look like you at all!!!! :P

Anyways, you guys have some great ideas. Some variety in types of gameplay is definately a great idea. Races are nice for a nice change of pace, so a regular officially ranked race or clan battle would be super! Just gimmie the time and place and I'm there!

IP:

Neo
posted July 04, 2001 03:31 AM            
lol Robu1, I thought it looked enough like me...It was only taken during spring break. I don't look anything like me in any of my other pictures! ::sigh:: Perhaps I look a bit too er...uh...how should I say...happy in that picture?! Not that there's anything wrong with being that way!!! I just wanted to make it clear that I am a um...str8 person ....lol, oh man....

Moving on...

Hey Robu, I can whip up a profile for you too, if ya want. Just let me know....or even just send me what ya want in it and I'll throw it up there (throw it up lol) ASAP. Same goes for any other LWA member...or, come to think of it, non-LWA members too.

Anyways...I think that before we have any official race matches (DRMs? ) we should institute some basic, universal rules. I was playing today in the race server and encountered a potential problem. I was leading a race (in reverse no less!) and as I was about to cross the finish line, I was torched with the flamethrower by a last-place-finish-line-camper. This encounter prompted me to steer into a gate (keep in mind that I was hauling in reverse) and as a result, I lost the lead and the 2nd place person swooped in for the win just in time. Harmless enough in casual play, but could essentially destroy any sort of officiality of DRMs. I decree (lol) that camping/parking/highway-patrolling/etc., should henceforth be banned from all official races...

Any other ideas?

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 04, 2001 12:00 PM            
hehehe..... Just before my computer crashed, I think it was sailor that did the same thing to me last night. Camped out along the track and waited for me to come along. Might have just been chance, but started to turn into a nasty gun fight that had me backing back through the gate I had just hit. Was lots of fun up until my'puter when wonkers.
I don't feel that camping is in the spirit of the races. Knock a fella off track when just behind 'im, toss a cruise in the general direction of the leader, just don't sit around waiting to gun somebody down. Chase 'em at least, or slow down and wait for them to try and lap you.

My 2 cents,

LD

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2