|
Author Topic:   A new idea on how the community can regulate itself
coax
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 01:31 PM            
I was thinking about the problem of having individuals saying foul language on servers and just being an @$$hole, I think i've come up with some creative solutions. In absence of contacting the server operator, the server operator good have sponsored referee tanks used by a select few of players designated to be in charge of keeping the community clean.

When ever I see a foul language miscontent on the servers, just speaking trash realy. I and others usually try to hunt them down and kill them. Even though its easy enough to kill them sometimes it can be difficult and usually always they get in a frag or 2.

So this is my solution.

The first level tank is a Green tank, it has full armor and other players that don't have the tank won't be able to see it. The only thing it does is shoot dirtballs at the other tank and does no damage. Dirtballs can be very distracting when you get hit at the righ angle. Basically follow the other tank around the map and make sure he talks and plays fair.

Second level tank or Yellow tank is also has full armor and its mod is an immobilizing gun. When hit it keeps the other player frozen for 15 seconds maybe put a black bubble around the vehicle so they think they've really been admonished by something. I understand they might do a "death wish" so it defeats the purpose there but if they are new they might not know about it.

Third level tank or the "RED" tank has a mass driver as the weapon. This is designed for only extreme players that don't play fair and know about the death wish feature. The mass driver is super super charged and if you get hit you will go flying off to never-never land for the rest of the game. Even if you kill yourself you will still be flipping and spinnng no matter where you spawn for the duration of the game. Hopefully the player will be so dis-satisfied that they can't kill anyone anymore, they will just get up and leave the server

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

[This message has been edited by coax (edited June 29, 2001).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 01:59 PM            
Ah the traffic cop "clan". I get it. Sorry Coax just could not pass up that chance. Hope to see you online so you can help educate me in the finer points of playing.
See you everywhere!!!

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 02:02 PM            
Sailor when i first saw you at the second or third DDM you scared the **** out of me because you were so good and you came out of no where.

IP:

ni
posted June 29, 2001 07:04 PM            
Thing is Coax, that player who's been last seen travelling to oblivion could easily quit and rejoin the server...fair enough he'll start again but it'll b an ongoing process so maybe there's a way of dealing with that!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 29, 2001 07:30 PM         
The server admins can kick players and ban their ips from the respective servers.

IF TM would allow access to specific admin functions via the game-chat interface, then admins could assign trusted players passwords to help keep servers clean. Until that happens, I'm afraid there's little we can do while staying on the safe side of the law.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 07:44 PM            
guess your right guys. But, maybe they won't know to quit-rejoin, and it would still be a hassle for them. I know if someone was paralyzing my tank and shooting me to oblivion it would annoy the hell out of me. I Might actually start behaving.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 08:27 PM            
Thanks for the compliment Coax. I do enjoy the game, but I think you are a far superior player to me. I'll keep trying to improve, but you can definitely give me some tips. So I will look for you online and ask a few questions when time permits. Thanks again.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

Kegel
posted June 29, 2001 08:38 PM         
Ok Ok Sailor and Coax...break it up....no sex in the lobby! lol

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 11:14 PM            
Boy,I wish I had some way to boot this fellow that has been on the 1.01 demo server the last week or so.Nothing but trash talking and racial slurs.He has really devolped a disliking for me and I don't know y.He joins my team and follows me around hitting me with mass drivers ans other weapons.He seems to be on all the time lately,with a different name each time.He changes his name all the time so its hard to give him a name.At least there should be a way to get somebodies' IP address and send it to the people who host the server.I don't think anyone but the server op should have the power to boot or ban people,but I wish I could tell on him someway.He was calling player sss,who I'm sure some of you play with and who happens to be from Korea,a gook.Man,that guy really pisses me off.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 29, 2001 11:19 PM            
The solution is simple gents:

Software Reqd:

Hacktracer - it has the power to ban an ip address stopping that person getting back on the server - ppl running servers should run it constantly.

Spynet 1.32 - Just have it intercepting ip packets, when u see some foul text, switch to it, scan for the text in the ascii disply and add the ip to the banned list in Hacktracer.

Thats how i keep hackers outa my bz games

warn em 3 times then /kick ! /ban

IP:

JVortex
posted June 30, 2001 01:23 AM            
i like the idea of the red tank, warning tanks that just annoy seem like they would just annoy people, not get the right message across. but a super massdriver would esentially kick them from the game, even if it wouldnt ban them

matrix's idea seems ok, but most servers arent supervised, they would need a 3rd party to be able to do it somehow. the new MGZ site is supposed to be able to impliment this feature into TM. still waiting on LDA to get back to MGZ about that tho.

one idea could be to have a list of the server admins emails handy somewhere. then if someone really diserves to be kicked we could email the sys opp to request that that person be added to the ban list. it would of course depend on who was making the request, y they were making the request and how many other people want that individual banned on if it would work or not.

would have to keep track of how long a person has been banned, dont want to kick them forever unless they really diserve it.

for the most part i think banning by banlist should be avoided tho. a form of remote /kick /ban would be much better.

need a way to have remote server admin privlidges.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Neo
posted June 30, 2001 02:54 AM            
Isn't SSS from China, not Korea?

I've played with SSS many times, and I don't like anyone calling him a gook, but to be quite honest, I don't think he minds. Being from China, he doesn't speak much English.

Nevertheless Super, you are right, that is pretty low.....

[EDIT - Errors syntax. ]

[This message has been edited by Neo (edited June 30, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 30, 2001 04:47 AM            
I think gook is the racial term for anyone oriental,but that dosen't matter.Even if you take out the racial slurs he still is very annoying.I first thought it might be Goku ar Tiger Panzer,both DNX(I think) and I threatened to have them dropped but that didn't stop him.They are the only players I have ever played with that would act like a crybaby,join your team,and start to hammer you.Thats what really pisses me off.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 30, 2001 04:57 AM            
Super I'm really surprised you didn't get Tiger Panzer dropped. I've never met a more harassing player in my life. He even use to be nice to me but whenever I see him he calls me GAY and FAG and trys to frag me like hell.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 30, 2001 09:01 AM            
Super, theres no wonder that they ignored you, Tiger is NOT i repeat NOT a member of DNX and goku joined just the other day.

To review a full members list with contact info log into the members area of the website, all the info u need to regulate is there.

IP:

Vlad
posted June 30, 2001 09:10 AM            
It could have been Guido... He did that to me the first time I saw him on a server.. kept going around and shooting me with the mass driver.

IP:

swisher
posted June 30, 2001 09:42 AM            
Big discussion here, too: /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000705.html

I would like to have a filter.txt file (in the main Tread Marks directory) that TM would pass through before displaying chat messages. This file would simply translate bad words into good words (darn = drats, crap = drats, etc.) before being displayed on your screen. This option would be just that -- an option. Trying to push freedom of choice/speech issues on people is tough. This would give each person his or her own freedom.

This file would only be used if present, of course.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 30, 2001 03:02 PM            
Sounds good Swisher,but the biggest problem,I think,is actions not speech.I think most everybody that plays TM are adults or close to it.They should be able to ignore any lude comments.It sure dosen't bother me since I was in the Navy and you've heard the term "cussing like a sailor" It does bother me when somebody calls my team mate a gook or a fag....ect.
We need a way to get somebodies' IP(sorry Matrix,that stuff you mentioned before looked complicated,plus I can't minimize TM without it crashing).Heres a question.Do the server logs put a name with the IP?If so you could just tell the server op that so and so was being a major a$$.Could they then add the IP to a ban list?I've never ran a server in my life(well,besides a FTP server )so I'm not familuar with what all the server op can do.I understand that they can't boot somebody right at this time.What about ban?

IP:

JVortex
posted June 30, 2001 03:20 PM            
there is a banlist in the TM folder, tho im not 100% sure how to use it, i think it works either by name or IP or maybe either or. not sure. dont htink the log stores IP, just names.

to avoid the crash when minimizing or alt+tabbing out of TM just play it in a window instead of full screen.

IP:

ni
posted June 30, 2001 03:33 PM            
drats the drats when they dratin drats on the drattin game screen!!!!

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

desolation1900
posted June 30, 2001 09:15 PM            
I think if someone swears, and you don't want to read it, then you should tell them first before hammering on them. I was playing a game and typed out "****" when someone shot me. I was getting targeted because of it .. I'm not used to playing with parents who throw a tizzy whenever they see foul language. All someone had to do was say "dude, don't swear, I don't want to see it." and I wouldn't have done it again.

Granted, if you ask the person not to swear and they still do it, then they should be hammered. If it is that big of a concern, in the server description you should put "NO SWEARING" so atleast people are warned. Otherwise, people are just going to be who they are, and many people tend to swear in public.

What would also be kind of neat is a anti-swearing daemon in the game. You type out one of the 7 deadly words, and the sky opens up above your tank and out comes 100 of Vlad's killer sheep.

IP:

Vlad
posted June 30, 2001 09:17 PM            
LOL!

Those sheep seem to be the sleeper favorite out of the group...

Glad to see you posting on the group, too Desolation. You get the full ver of TM yet?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 30, 2001 09:43 PM            
its not tough at all supes,

run both in the background b4 u launch TM.

then just use alt+tab to switch between progs.

first goto the spynet and look for the text typed in - the ip is displayed nect to it. then swap to hacktracer and goto ban list - paste it in there and apply.

simple.

he can still play the current game, but after that and if ur the host he cant join - the server should reject him.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 30, 2001 11:41 PM            
Swearing is not the problem desolation,its the guy who swears or uses racial slurs towards a player,then proceeds to join there team and try to hit them with a mass driver.Thats when somebody crosses the line.I'm sure I've let a few words slip out becasue I was pissed But I didn't go any further than a few naughty words.
Matrix,that is for the server op only correct.I hope a player dosen't get the power to boot or ban somebody.
I've also noticed a ban list in the TM forum.Anybody know how to use it?

IP: