|
Author Topic:   jeez
KONG
posted June 29, 2001 12:10 AM            
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, this is a GAME, it is meant to be played. PLAY. know the word? some people are so hung up on frags they forget the joy of the game.

Win, lose or draw I just like playing the game. Iam really getting turned off on this whole comp thing. i thought the whole idea was to relax, get to know new people and have a good time. maybe i should take a break like skan, or maybe some of u should chill...

IP:

JVortex
posted June 29, 2001 12:26 AM            
um... aparently someone pissed u off?

if youre referring to the new clan warish thing thats just an excuse for competition. if someone online did evilness to you you should really mention that in the first place.

whats up?

IP:

KONG
posted June 29, 2001 01:05 AM            
no jv, nobody did any evil to me but i thought that since this game is still small, (users). i figured it would be different than other online games. it's not...

IP:

Vlad
posted June 29, 2001 01:07 AM            
I don't know what exactly you're referring to, but in all the games I've played in I don't think I've ever heard someone mention frags or their frag count at all.

IP:

KONG
posted June 29, 2001 01:18 AM            
never mind, ill just be quiet and keep on being the non clan member who drives backwards and isnt aggresive in the ddm and only gets an answer to his posts when he says something that someone doesnt like.

i can't get alot of frags so maybe i should just del tm from my hard drive

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited June 29, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 29, 2001 01:40 AM         
I don't get many frags, either, KONG, but I still like this game.
I hardly have time to play anymore, but whenever I do, it's TM.

Of course there are things one doesn't like even about his/her favourite game, but shouldn't we just ignore the bits we don't like and concentrate on the better parts? Some of us like the idea of clans, some don't. If you don't want to be a member of one, noone should complain.

I have been around for a pretty long time now (a tad longer than this community as a community) and I for one am going to stay as long as I can afford to, since this community is the coolest I have found so far and the game is even better.

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 29, 2001 02:18 AM            
Kong,

I think I understand your frustration over the seeming loss of gentlemanly courtesy wh/predominated the community in the beginning in favor of agressive hostility and oneupmanship. The clan idea, while fun in a way, does appear to offer the potential to leech away the some of this pan-community spirit in favor of a dangerous, aggressive factionalism which could endanger the generally positive spirit in TM.
Like you, I fear the loss of this positive spirit, and am glad that you brought it up as a topic of discussion. I don't know what to say to allay these fears except that you aren't alone in your apprehension.
I also hope you don't quit the community as you have been a positive part of the group. As for me, I have moved more into the mod development aspect of the game which is less competitive and more nuturing (I think.) We modders would certainly welcome you to our less cliquish fold if you wish to join "our clan?! (smile...no badges, flags, or group practices required to be one of us....Just a lot of cursing when mods go kablewy, or your poly count crashes somebody's machine!)

Remember, you're not alone...

IP:

Neo
posted June 29, 2001 02:48 AM            
Kong, If this is about the WWF-ness of the new LWA thing, then don't worry... All the conflict has been settled and things will return to normal. JV is right--It is an excuse for competition and is meant to be all in fun. If things seem like they are getting carried away, then I apologize, and I'm doing my best to keep things lighthearted. After all is said and done, I want everyone to have as much fun as possible while not harming anyone else's fun. But if in the process, I have done something to offend or insult you, then all apologies to you.

And ahh...

I don't know about everyone else, Kong, but I respect your ability and your style of playing.

I know that stat's and comparisons are probably not going to be very comforting to you right now...but if you remember from the discussions about ladders and ranking, Weatherman noted that your skill levels are on par with coax's for many DDMs. ::Ahem:: That is uh, higher than mine. (shh) And I know for a fact that we have exchanged our fair share of frags online many times.

Anyways, in response to that discussion, I remember that you said something to the effect of "frags don't really matter that much to me, I play to relax, it's like stress relief, I just like to play. Doesn't really matter to me if I win or lose". To me, this is a pretty cool attitude and I think it says a lot about you. I think it would be cool if more people had this attitude, because you might be right--it seems that things are getting somewhat heated and perhaps excessively competitive. I think we should all kinda try to keep things in perspective sometimes, but hey... It's a really competitive society, and I guess people just have a tendency to make even games very competitive...Human instinct I guess.

ANyways, I don't want you to feel unwelcome here. I don't wanna get all misty now, lol, but I don't want anyone to be turned away from the cool little community we have here, especially if it was due to my actions. If you're upset about LWA or its actions, or something I have said online or in the forum, let me know. But I just want to emphasize that I never meant to insult you(or anyone else) in any way.

Man--I'm on a roll with these apologies, lol.

(BTW Kong, in response to your post in the other forum, LWA would have gladly accepted you, if you had been interested.)

IP:

Neo
posted June 29, 2001 02:53 AM            
Also guys,

I will withdraw the LWA if you think it will/is harming the community.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 04:37 AM            
I don't think he was talking about the clan stuff Neo.He is in a clan after all.Or was........?I think......
I play for the pleasure of playing.I also play for the competetion.Isn't that what games were made for?I don't just mean comp games but games since the beginning of time.
I like to win games or at least try to win games.On mod servers I like to just have fun.But on DM maps its a different story.It is a Death Match(DM) after all.I for one was aggrivated at Kong when I first met him on the demo servers.He would run when you tried to confront him and look for the easy kill weapons.I thought he was just trying to be a smarta$$.Now that I got to play with him more my impressions of him changed.It is just a game and I think some people do blow it out of porportion,but hey,there is the human beings' nature to compete and there is some adrenelin flowing when your in a DDM.I found my heart beating fast when I just so close to winning a DDM that its only a frag away.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 29, 2001 08:16 AM         
Hi Kong,
Hey man - I hope that I haven't posted anything to make you feel this way. I was a little frag happy in the beginging but I think that I mellowed out. That bit of unsolicited advice that Neo mentions was alot of me digging around for applicability of my DDM stats. I have dropped the ladder idea that was really over the top in terms of quantifying abilities- I think it is enough just to know that you can expect a good fight from other regulars.

Probably the worst game for what you want out of TM is DDM - that has always been a fragfest and a battle for the top. For me, that is part of the excitement. When I get beat in both DDM and casual play that is fine by me - means that the game and my mates with red names were challenging.

There are 2 goal to every game - to entertain and to win. We are still too monkey like to totally remove the win goal. But is we only play to win - we will soon be only playing with ourselves (single player can only be enjoyable for so long) . If you don't like how someone plays - tell them. If you like how someone plays - congratulate them. Don't give up on TM because of a few bad sports - find your kindered spirits and nuke them cheerfully.

EDIT- spleeing and grammer

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 29, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 29, 2001 09:51 AM            
LMFAO !

Neo just get on with the darn LWA, jus t dont let it get outa hand - k lol

Kong Chill !

Community -fear not..... there sortid init !

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 29, 2001 09:52 AM            
I maybe wrong, but i think this calls for a group hug !!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 29, 2001 10:02 AM         
Hey, that sounds like a great new weapons mod!

IP:

Paranor
posted June 29, 2001 10:13 AM            
Hey, that's my "first" weapon I'm playing around with!

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 10:57 AM            
Kong I know what you mean, even though I play in a lot of the DDMs I have only placed 2nd one time (probably by accident). Normally I just frag whoever is unlucky enough to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time, or get killed trying. I have chased you a time or two and then again stopped chasing you a time or two.

Personally I enjoy the game as a stress reliever and sometimes even ALT+K to keep a zero score after a frag just for a change or pace (did that in the last game of the last DDM I attended).

You are right it is only a game, but the one and only one I like enough to keep coming back to again and again. Sometimes we all ought to chill a little more and enjoy, but as several have said there is that competetive nature that drives us sometimes. I must have less of it since I have turned down manager positions several times (or maybe I hate politics - yea that's the ticket).

Anyway stick around I enjoy talking as much as fragging when in a game. So hope to see you online again soon.

IP:

A2597
posted June 29, 2001 12:14 PM            
I know EXACTLY what he is talking about!!!!!

I've mentioned this before too, the game is GREAT fun, for awhile...
then people start getting to fed up on frags, PORPOSLY fragging team mates, and just RUINING the game!

look at WoT, I LOVED that game. then I had a jerk of a team mate grab my seal (Like a flag in capture the flag) and run to the enemy base. I fraged 'em to stop that, but a little late. the jerk then yells at ME saying I lost the game!!!

I had another that spent the entire time following me online, joining my team, and killing me (For no reason then for personal enjoyment)

I am very glad that people are making bots for that game, because I KNOW the BOTS won't cheat, or frag team mates, or curse.

I seriously hope this does NOT happen to tread marks. the day it does, you will cease to see me playing it online.

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

Vlad
posted June 29, 2001 01:02 PM            
You know, I've been playing Treadmarks for about a year and a half, and the only person who I've ever run into one person who's been a problem in-game.

What servers are you playing on, A2597? In all the games I've played, as I said earlier, nobody ever mentions their frag count. People just play, and any time a teammate is accidentally fragged, a "sorry" goes out almost instantly.

IP:

kv
posted June 29, 2001 02:17 PM            
Sounds to me like Kong annoyed someone who was taking the game too seriously.

I have always played the game for fun. Even when I joined the 10th DDM I still only viewed it as a chance to play other people for fun. If you look at the stats for DDM 10, I think I was the most suicidal player there. And I laughed at everyone of those deaths.

Kong, if I remember right, the few times that I have played you online, I was the one who was running. And it was a blast everytime

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 02:38 PM            
I'm sorry Kong.

When I play TM I do try to win. I do try to have the highest frag count. I continually try to perfect my skill. I always try to aim better with the mass driver, get the distance and angle of the MRL down. Memorize maps, memorize players strategies and come up with defenses for them. Out predict people. Learn if a player will hold his ground when fighting 2 people or decide to run. Shoot at AIs to practice aiming with no guidance.

You mentioned something in the other forum about if LWA accepted you. And to be honest if they had accepted you, I probally wouldn't of liked it. That should be reason enough for me not to be in LWA.

Its not that I don't have fun playing TM. I have fun trying to be the best. I don't get upset if someone beats me or anything. I simply practise more.

This is who I am in life as well, I do try to be the top dog in my classes if I'm not oh-well but I do try my best.

I'm most sorry for being the epitome of your comments. Don't know what else to say except I'm sorry.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 29, 2001 03:00 PM         
okay gents - lets chill and see how games play from now on. If anybody has any problems they should take it up with the offending player directly. Despite what our in game personas do, I think everyone is pretty decent who is a dedicated regular.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 29, 2001 07:07 PM            
u sed it right there w-man. besides, dont wanna annoy coax agaon but kong couldnt join LWA, see - he joined DNX

kinda turns ya stomach doesnt it lol

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 29, 2001 11:27 PM            
Come on people,if you wan to mellow out take some Prozac What would you people like to do.......just chat during a game and not fire a shot?Or run around and play bumper tanks?LOL,some of you guys come up with the weirdest $#%@.If you want a nice non-violent game try playing Spades or the Sims online

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited June 29, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted June 30, 2001 12:16 AM            
no need for apologies i was just ranting. sorry

IP: