|
Author Topic:   Sad story of Formating ;( help
GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 25, 2001 02:03 PM            
ok, i've just formated a laptops C:\ drive, To much junk. Im trying to installl win 98. Now, the floppy drive is busted it just STINKS!! can't rea d or write at all. Gotta send it back to school ok, now somehow i gotta tell the laptop the CD rom drive is really there, How?? Then i can load win 98 through the cd room boot disk thingy. English please. at times i have no clue what some people r saying

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

Vlad
posted June 25, 2001 02:12 PM            
It's been a while since I've had to do an install, but you MAY be out of luck until you get a new floppy.

Try setting all the IDE channels in the BIOS to auto-detect... you MAY be able to get it to see the CD drive that way..

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 25, 2001 02:27 PM            
*Crys ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* I have no clue what a BIOS is or how to set it. I guess im just gonna have to get new A drive ;( How can i set BIOS to auto, is it a button on side of laptop?

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 25, 2001 02:46 PM         
What he means is something like:

• turn the laptop off (if it's on)
  • turn it on again
  • on the first or second screen the laptop displays while booting, a key (combination) like CTRL+ALT+S or DEL or F1 should be indicated.
  • you will have to press the indicated key(s) while the message is being displayed - usually less than 5 seconds...
  • ------------------------------
  • Now you should see your laptop's BIOS setup (aka CMOS setup) screen.
  • DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
  • Try to locate a menu/screen labelled sth. like "advanced bios setup" or "advanced options" or "extended ..."
  • Try to locate a menu item labelled sth. like "boot sequence".
  • Try to set the Floppy ("A:", if neccessary) as the first item in the boot sequence - if it already is the first item, try to set your cd-rom as the first item, otherwise try to get your cd-rom to be the second item. Your harddisk ("C:") should be second or third in most cases.

• find out how to save the setup settings and exit the setup (usually F10)

Hope that helps.

The BIOS Setup of a laptop new enough to run TM should have no problem finding the cdrom, btw.

IP:

Neo
posted June 25, 2001 03:32 PM            
GA, why did you format the disk if you don't know how to reload everything?? Best suggestion I can give you: call tech support. Usu. they can guide you through step-by-step, that is, after you dial 5,327 numbers and wait through 2 hours of cool elevator jazz for a technician.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 25, 2001 07:56 PM            
well, first of all, i got the laptop because an old buseiness was giving away there old cpus. Kinder handy eh? it has 1.6 gegs. 1.5 gegs used. There were ALL SORTS OF JUNKY Files in there. What do these people do to earn money!!!! YESH!! you know what i mean. So i formated it. Now i would do that with the CD rom except. It doesn't know the CD roms there. As in it doesn't even have a driver label like A or B or C...........etc so i have NOCLUE on how to get it to work. Its all plugged in. Dreamer, this thing would BEARLY be able to run TM i think and if it did it would crash with anymore lag than 1 plasma mine. *crys* PLus part of the screen in the upper right corner is ALL Black all the time. Its like Burnt out. Were driving to Utah tomorrow and its a *VREY* long trip fomr where we live. So i was hoping to load a few simple games on there. But.......... hehe ya know

IP:

STJR64
posted June 25, 2001 08:37 PM            
Well I hope I can help you--I build and repair computers so if I can't I might as well quit my job

You will have to get a new floppy drive to install the drivers for the CD-ROM drive. The computer won't see the CD-ROM until you tell the computer it's there (that's partially what drivers are for).

So until you get a floppy drive you are screwed (I tried to put that in English as best I could).

If you need anymore help on computers, my e-mail is s_t_64@yahoo.com.

Hope I helped a little bit.

~Scott Jr.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 25, 2001 08:37 PM            
Bios is that settings change screen you get by pressing DEL on the first boot up screen. It stands for:
( B ) Basic
( I ) Input
( O ) Output
( S ) System

all it means is it tells the puter what basics u have set in hard drives, muthaboard, chipset, onboard sound etc....

if u hear anyone asking about a "POST" and did you hear a bleep....

( P ) Power
( O ) On
( S ) Self
( T ) Test

You will hear a bleep if something aint right - its a kind of diagnostics thing - in otherwords its checking everythings ok to load up windows or dos or whatever OS (Operating System) you intend to use.

There ya see - learn sumthin everyday from uncle matrix huh

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 25, 2001 08:55 PM            
ok, everytime my laptop turns on it bleeps thats bad ain't it ;(
*Start playing a round with a matter bomb cause hes nervoius* * Strehckes it REAL REAL big* * Strehckes another one REAL RELA REAL BIG* * Pulls off matrixs socks and slips Matter bombs on* You can always learn from uncle matrix Why have hot feet when you could have nuclear feet!! ok now eveybody $10 dollars a pair! *50 years latter looks back at those old matter bomb socks* *smiles* *Frowns* *one starts pulsing* **runs**

uh hehe, im jsut a tinsey bit bored
------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

[This message has been edited by GoldAnt_Number1 (edited June 25, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 26, 2001 02:00 AM            
Isn't beeping a part of system diagnostics?The amount of beeps reference you to a problem the computer is having,since its the only way to comm with you.Not sure what to tell you to do from that point.I just put my system cd in and reboot.

IP:

KONG
posted June 26, 2001 02:05 AM            
ask skandranon if hes not busy.

IP: