This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Pimping TM
The Weatherman
posted June 25, 2001 01:19 PM         
Okay, lets start up a shameless promotion campaign. Please email any online personality that you like and you think would like treadmarks and ask them to play the demo and plug the game on their site if at all possible. I have already emailed the writers of 2 online comics - Sluggy.com and goats.com . Besides online strippers, good people to pester are game mags / review sites and ..... other people. You know what pages you routinely check - try writing to the people that host them.

The demo players that have been trying out the game are encouraging, but we need more bodies if we want to get a sustainable momentum.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 25, 2001 08:43 PM            
i have that in hand in the uk with the organised release of the bz3 mod on a magazine cover cd.

dreamer - anything you can do from germany ?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 26, 2001 05:06 PM         
Cool, Matrix. ? - can you send TM to Yugoslavia? Met a demo player from there who may be interested in getting the game.

Gents, Please go to www.download.com and put a favorable review in for TM. The version they are serving is 1.5 but I have already asked them to update.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 26, 2001 05:18 PM         
Matrix - sorry, I don't see any possibilities for me. If anyone has any realistic ideas, I'll happily see what I can do, but otherwise...

I fear my only major contribution to this community will be TMapper and that seems almost useless for a large community as long as TM does not permit automatic mod downloads.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 12, 2001 01:34 PM         
Okay, those louts at download.com have not updated TM and not posted mine or anyone elses user reviews. please go to their site and commment on the game I know you love http://download.cnet.com/useropinion/submit/0-10034-602-2939738.html?tag=st.dl.10034-601-2939738.dir.10034-602-2939738

Youll be glad you did

------------------
The Weatherman
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 12, 2001 04:19 PM            
Wow!Says over 60,000 people have downloaded the 1.5 demo!Where are all of thses people?Oh yeah,forgot it had no multiplayer Thats a bummer.We need to petetion C-Net to update to 1.6.I didn't realize so many people went there for game demos.I just go there to dload utilities most of the time.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 12, 2001 04:30 PM            
I think if you look now Weather you can se your review...along with a few others from this forum.Ok.....did some checking and guess what,we can update the Treadmarks demo ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go here http://download.cnet.com/downloads/submissions/0-1582081.html?tag=dir
and follow the instructions to update to the 1.6 demo!!!!!!!!
I have 56k upload so I can't do it.You'll have to know the demo URL and any mirror sites if any.Leys get this done people.If you want to read a little ahead of where I got the above link then go to http://www.download.com
Select contact us at the very bottom
Select software on the next page,
I think everything else is easy enough.
Oh yeah,make sure you correct the Master IP port before you upload it.Don't want to make that mistake again

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 12, 2001 07:07 PM         
Haha - great guys! Thanks for submitting. I actually did submit the game update on 6/26/01 but no dice so far. I don't know if mutiple submissions are a no-no or not. I will email themand see what the holdup is . Keep the comments coming, Gents

------------------
The Weatherman
Now with stuff!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 12, 2001 07:47 PM         
Hey if you are ever downloading software from a mega site - check to see if they have TM. If not, submit the game - giving the www.treadmarks.com download link. I already asked Jim and he says submit away.

Here is a brief game description - you can either use it straight or modify it to your liking:

Tread Marks is an Off-Road Battle Tank Racing and Combat game. It has awesome graphics and fully deformable landscapes. The demo comes with 1 map, 2 tanks, and 10 weapons and power ups. The full version has race, DM, and CTF enabled, 52 Maps, 20 weapons, and 23 tanks. The full version is totally moddable - users can make new maps, tanks and weapons. Currently, there are over 100 user made mods available at fan sites. Find more info here: www.treadmarks.com
Winner of Three Awards in the 2nd Annual Independent Games Festival! "Best Game", "Best Design", "Best Programming"

C'mon guys - I submitted one to Tucows today. That means that LWA is 2 sumbissions ahead of DNX, BWL, and TC ! - ideas for other sites to submit to are nonags.com, Happy Puppy ......

If you can't submit one but know of a download server that would be good , please post it here.

------------------
The Weatherman
Now with stuff!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 12, 2001 11:03 PM            
Well,if you search the threads you'll find that I,who happen to be DNX,pushed for a new demo for a long,long time Don't know if thats what pushed 1.6 out,but I guess you could say if it weren't for DNX you wouldn't be submitting a new demo lol....
I have 56k upload so I can't really submit it but I sure as hell have done my share of advertising and email campaigns.If we all do something to help get the demo out then this game will skyrocket.Go to every major game demo site.Then when you get done with that go to every major downloading site.Even if only 10 of you do this, this game is going to be huge.Bug the hell out of people if you get no replies.I know from experience.Do like Weatherman does and keep hounding them until they do our bidding

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted July 13, 2001 02:51 AM            
LWA ahead of us?
Just to remind you...
Quite a lot of TM's beta testers were/are members of either BWL, TC, or DNX (although back then DNX had not yet turned their attention to TM (or Matrix had not yet showed up))
I for one have kept reviewing and submitting TM wherever possible and I know that each and every one of us has kept spreading the evangelium that is TM.
ENTegrity is (swisher wants us to get the credit, now we take it) a product of BWL and (afaik) has already proven itself to be invaluable for TM modding, together with progs like Tread Edit or Blandy's prog...
Lithium does not even actively play TM, but even he has contributed a prog that's become famous throughout the 3D gaming scene.
Maybe TC is quite inactive. Maybe BWL is rarely seen on the battlefields these days, but we do spend a good part of our spare time on TM-related activities (if you have got a fast deck, you are going to like TMapper, I tell you )
And again concerning submissions - I have submitted TM to at least four sites so far, so it seems that a certain member of LWA should consider thinking before posting.

W-Man, it is one thing to try and challenge a clan's honour - a totally different (as less likely to be taken lightly) one is accusing them of not promoting their favourite game.
I would like to ask you to read some old posts, take the time and spend an afternoon on that and then reconsider your post.

You may be a better (in terms of frags) player than many others. You may even be a better promoter than many other regulars (I disallow myself any judgement concerning that). You may even be a better community member than others (again, that is a "may", and who am I to judge?), but I do not see any reason for you to think others who like to stay a little deeper in the shadows and have been around a tiny bit longer than you are not actively supporting TM.

--
(I would like to ask everyone reading this post to please excuse my bad English).

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 13, 2001 04:30 AM            
Whhooooaaaaaa!!!!!!!!The hostilitiy I don't think Weatherman was trying to say they were the only ones doing things to promote TM.I believe he was just trying to get a spark going to ignite a huge fire.Although I DO believe that this community has been sitting on their butts,promoting the game that is.I do appericiate all the mods,programs,screen savers...ect,that people have dished out,but you have to admit little has been done to PROMOTE the game.Obviously LDA has somewhat put the PC version of TM on the backburners.Its now up to us to promote this game.Don't get me wrong,they did the hardest part by creating the game and I appreciate it very,very much.Advertising the game is another story though.I know AAA games dropped the ball so I'm not totally blaming LDA for the lack of players.Every little thing that a member of this forum can do to promote the game will pay off.A simple thing like emailing Cnet and trying to get them to update the demo could bring tens of thousands to this game.I know all of you "beta testers" are hung up on the old times,but things gotta change.THIS GAME IS NOT A SUCCESS....when you can go to 10+ servers and not see one human on any of them.What good is it creating mods or little programs for the game when there is only a handfull of people playing it?I love this game.I love playing this game.Now its time to share it with the rest of the world.
WM,you can feel free to insult DNX anytime if it results in TM achieving success

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 13, 2001 12:27 PM            
whats LWA is that a new clan? i was gone for two weeks.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 13, 2001 12:29 PM         
Holy Smokes, Dreamer- You have got me TOTALLY WRONG!
#1- I never doubted that the veterans have not been promoting the game. I would have been completely thrilled if you said simply that you have been submitting the game and BWL r001z. I was merely trying to get more players to do that. I think that your efforts should not be shrouded in the shadows, but serve as an example for other members who are interested in helping the game grow. Really I mentioned the clans as a friendly challenge - like teams selling chocolate to raise money for a playground - school flashback. BWL4 - LWA 2 - DNX 1 (only considering info in the current thread :P)

#2 - I never wanted to insult anyone honor on or off the playing field! Those little digs (usu. with disclaimers) were an attempt to motivate. This is the best damn community I have ever encountered and I am glad that I can play/interact with such a interesting and diverse group of people.

#3 - I don't know all of TM history - but all long term endeavors exist solely because of peoples past work. I don't want or even feel like I deserve credit for any of TM's success. I am just trying to help TM and LDA grow to the point where servers are continuously occupied and LDA has enough resources to continue to develop my favorite game. That is the payoff.

#4 - I feel that programers and modders are a great source of innovation and creativity in this game. With LDA directing their limited resources into PS2 TM and their other products - it is the programmers and modders that are generating new material for TM.

There is a kind of TM support net that the community provides. Players drive the game - no players, no real reason to be online. Modders create new toys that enhance gameplay and keep the game fresh. Programmers make tools to make modding more accessible - the action of modding is another draw of TM and I think it keeps some more active than if they didn't have that facet of TM to enjoy.

I can't code nor have the time or patience to make a genuinely cool and original mod - so I am promoting. Just trying to get the downloads going, man. If WE can get more fishies to try the bait (demo and online players), the full version will set the hook, the mods will reel them in, and modding/development will make them fishermen. (not a great analogy - I was trying to illustrate how EVERYBODY contributes)

If I have gotten pushy lately with this thread it is because we need a mass influx of demo players. The trickle we see is promising, but if demo players don't see other demo players (and if they note that the other servers are empty) they won't buy the game cause they will think it is dead.

This summer feels like the right time to make the push - the new demo is out, kids are on vacation, TV is in reruns.

Oh, and Screw being better at anything. I want to play! Frags don't really mean all that much. I like a challenging game - to kill a tricky opponent, to get caught in a clever trap, to see an incredible shot (from either end of the barrel), to make a lucky escape, to see who has been getting better and try to beat the best - That is why I play and by extension try to get more people turned on to TM. As for promotion - I want people to do more than my recent effort - I don't have the time to do much more and I know there are people out there who wouldn't mind pitching in (was only trying to give some direction). As for being the best community member - Well, okay, I'll admit that I am the best <- note, wink denotes an attempt at a joke, an attempt by the author to inject some levity in an unfortunatly heavy post.

You, all of the TM players and the folks at LDA (especially Seumas)have my deepest respect and thanks for all actions that have contributed to making TM what it is. Apologies for any digs or jokes that have been taken in unintended ways or the ignorant ramblings of recent arrival.

Sincerely,
The Weatherman

BTW, there are some other worthy projects in the pipe. Coax is trying to stir up some interest in writing a modding FAQ for the TM main site here /forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000149.html
and Random Chaos is working on a Tutorial here /forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000109.html

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 13, 2001 12:38 PM         
Dwelling on old times? nice. really nice. m8, choose your words with care.
Not promoting TM? cool. yup, definitely. 1k thx.

Peeeto is currently developing a design concept for the BWL clan page, which is going to be served at www.treadmarks.de (Where most Germans would go and look for info on that game, imho) - wherever I see a review site that I think should review or re-review TM, I tell them. Wherever I stand, I keep telling people how cool TM is.
Maybe I'm doing less than I could, maybe all of us are, but some of us try to have lives besides playing TM.
Then there's RC, who invested extremely much effort into his site until it was taken down (almost) without prior notice.
Take JV or Skan, whose sites have become the mod resources for TM by now.
How about Matrix or coax and their efforts?
What about all the others who keep investing time, effort and money in this game?

One thing we have to improve is coordinating our efforts with LDA, but otherwise I see lots of promotional work going on.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 13, 2001 01:01 PM         
Look this is totally retarded. I was just trying to get more people to help out with 2 facets of TM promotion - submission of sites to download servers and posting favorable comments to websites.

More typing is not going to help this.
Gents, I would like to meet you on a game server this Saturday, say at 1pm EST, to vent any frustrations like civilized folk - with virtual flame throwers and nuclear weapons . We can start on Skans Classic and move wherever consensus takes us. All are welcome but Dreamer and Supe are especilly invited.

BTW, GA, check out recent posts in the strategy forum for info on LWA, the un-clan.

EDIT - BTW - This IS the proper place to mention your accomplishments and those of people you know. This helps inspire and hopefully reduce duplication of effort. I forgot to thank all of the webmasters and servers out there - players need a place to play and get info and downloads, of course. And thanks to all of the recent review posters, too.

Download servers always frown on multiple submissions of the same product. Please put the names of places submitted to into this post and also follow up if possible - i.e. say that it has or has not been accepted. ALso, if you find a good opinions post that needs some TM love, or have suggestions of sites to submit to, please put them here. This thread should really be a resource to help interested people to productively promote TM.

------------------
The Weatherman
Now with stuff!

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited July 13, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 13, 2001 01:51 PM         
I'll try to be there and receive my beating...

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 13, 2001 01:55 PM         
Plus, I hereby apologize for generating a negative emotional climate in this thread.
Today's been really miserable.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 13, 2001 11:38 PM            
I've been active in ths forum for a while now and I don't think I've ever flamed anybody.Thats why I didn't say any names.If you are doing something and not telling us,then great....at least your doing something.Now we need to get the other 95% to do something.I'm just tired of only a few activley promoting TM.I don't just mean word of mouth,I mean something that could reach thousands.
Dreamer-You stated in a post several months ago that you more or less didn't want the community to change and that you wanted it to be like old times.Thats you proagative.But when 95% of the community seems like they practice that same philosphy....then it hurts in more places than this forum.
If LDA won't do enough to promote the game and 95% of the community dosen't give a ^%*$,then what does that say for the future of TM.You must not care becasue you do not play often.I play as much as I can and it simply disgusts me with the lack of players and I do what I can to share this game and increase the amount of players.It's going to take more than telling your freinds that this game rocks.I'm not trying to piss people off with my posts but it strikes a nerve with me.Email,email,email....thats what its going to take.And Dreamer.....you could have a unique abiltitiy becasue you are fluent in German.You should be able to hit all of the German gaming sites.If people don't start actively doing things to promote this game then the game is destined to end up in a ****ter along with this community.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 14, 2001 01:26 AM            
I agree with you 99% Super, except for the part where you said you never flamed anyone

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 14, 2001 02:56 AM         
Super - let me put it this way:
Yes, I do have serious doubts that a really large community would be as much fun as this one. In one of the other forums Matrix complained a few days ago that he, using a different screen name for testing reasons, was 'bullied' by other players and now he threatens to leave the community altogether.
I believe that many more players would mean a significant increase of such and other incidents.
Yes, I am going to miss knowing ~90% of the names of all regular TM players

Anyway, I do think that LDA deserve any success they can achieve (or their fans can achieve for them, for that matter) and I don't think you can say that I don't firmly believe in TM... I for one pay for my website and it's only TM I keep that up for.

As for doing something and not telling anybody - I don't tell you whenever I go to the toilet, do I?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 14, 2001 03:50 AM         
Lol - you are toilet trained?!?!? Why didn't you tell us? *ducks for cover*

Seriously, Supe, our fine German friend does not like to toot his own horn. Our m8s across the pond have not yet cultivated the shameless immodesty of us yanks.

I want to know who did that bullying manuver with Matrix - that is not even slighlty amusing. The people who did that need to cut that sh*te out or drop the LWA tag.

As to fears about problems that growing big may bring - lets burn that bridge when we come to it. There are always private servers for getting the gang together. The gang does need to stick together - especially if the is a TM boom. We can educate newbies that this is not Quake and @$$holes are not welcome.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited July 14, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 14, 2001 03:57 AM            
Well.....let me put it in plain English too.I didn't buy TM so I could have something to talk about in this forum.I bought it to play with human beings...anytime...anywhere.So far it's a disappointment when you look at it that way.
No offence to Dreamer or anybody else I pissed off.I agree we should still have this close knit community even if we have a influx of new people.
Speaking of @holes on servers.Anybody want to help me tach a couple of loud-mouth racists a leeson?You'll have to play on the 1.01 demo server.I'm tired of their trash talk and racist comments.They're usually on around 11 or 12 EST and go by the names "Back the F UP" and "Davespatt".It time for a little TM 101

------------------
Mod Packs,Weekly Polls,Links, and Other Files...Storage/Download

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited July 14, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted July 14, 2001 04:10 AM            
i think tm should have more players and should enjoy all the success it deserves. i for one will probably stop playing when there are too many new people. you all know that the occasional a**hole is almost a certainty and i dont need the aggrevation. there are a few demo players already that fit this description.

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 14, 2001 05:23 AM         
As has been posted before (and I don't know by whom)

One way to reduce that might be remote admin rights for TM servers...
Certain regulars could then be given access passwords to enable them to kick/ban misbehaving players.
That would require action from LDA, though.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2