|
Author Topic:   DDM Server up and running
Skandranon
posted June 24, 2001 04:33 PM            
Okay, server's up for the Sunday night throwdown.. I've got to go work on my truck, but I'll try and attend. We'll see... I've missed, what, three in a row? *chuckle*

Competition play has lost some of its glitter for me, I guess, and I've been hella busy.

We should really think about adding some new modes to the DDM before it gets boring. Hmm.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 05:38 PM            
personally i agree on the mod idea (which im sure surprises no one...). maybe have a limit of say 3 mod weapons or so and then just put it to a vote by everyone? let every body suggest 1 or 2 weapons and then compile that?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 24, 2001 06:18 PM            
We could also make DDMs every other week so it won't be so boring. I won't be able to make it to this one either

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 24, 2001 09:34 PM            
That might be a good idea, Coax. Or even monthly. I played tonight and my performance suffered BADLY from just not giving a flip. Maybe I need to take a break from the game.

I'll still hold the DDM's, of course, but don't plan on competing much at this point - that's started to wear thin, I think. The mod idea has some appeal, as well. Anyone have other comments?

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 24, 2001 09:40 PM            
Once again - good fun! My ping was good the whole time, but it shoooor don't mean much up against Neo and Weatherman!

I hear ya tho, Skan. I'm off and on with online competition. Unreal Tourney used to be my game, and sometimes I'd go on a month hiatus - dunno why really.

If we DO start adding mods to the DDM, I hope y'all consider that tornado!

IP:

KONG
posted June 24, 2001 09:49 PM            
why dont we have some team play. dust off those ctf maps

IP:

Neo
posted June 24, 2001 10:07 PM            
Yeah GG tonight everyone. Good server performance (for me) on the 1st two games, but during the third game I had a pretty low framerate. Whether it has to do with the server or my connection/configuration remains to be seen, but my pings were variable from 215 all the way up to 475.

Skan, you mentioned during the first match that you were not seeing shots until after they had already hit you. This is something I have been experiencing lately as well, and the major reason behind my complaining. Anyways I figured I would use this opportunity to tell everyone that I mean no disrespect to anyone by the comments that I make during a game--they're usually directed at either myself or my computer, so: just ignore my complaining, whining, etc.

Also seems like "Target" is a very challenging map for DDMs, I enjoyed it--but it seemed tough for everyone. Not a typical Caldera-like match, it actually required a considerable degree of skill to make kills.

BTW, I posted my screenshots from today's DDM, as well as some other DDMs and also yesterday's clan war on my site at http://www.100megsfree4.com/neos

Thanks guys.

IP:

Rex R
posted June 24, 2001 10:38 PM            
ack the thid pic was taken after I left, so how bad did I do? is it just me or was practically every one using the dwarf tank? it seemed to me that where ever I looked there were 1 or more dwarves blasting away

IP:

Neo
posted June 24, 2001 10:51 PM            
Sorry Rex--I missed that. I'll either change the pics or throw yours on there somewhere. Anyway you had 14 frags, 19 deaths according to my shots.

IP:

Rex R
posted June 25, 2001 02:10 AM            
ah so thats how I did. thanks for the info

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 03:16 AM            
Yeah,I had to miss yet another one Looks like you guys had fun though and thats all that really matters.
I'm still going to push the idea of a DDM with the top 10 DDM players only.That would be the ultimate DDM I think.Wouldn't be able to frag low skill players.It dosen't have to be something we do all the time,just a one time thing.Would be real interesting to see who comes out on top.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 25, 2001 09:13 AM            
How about alternating DDM and CTF on a weekly or biweekly basis? And if it's biweekly then have the "top 10" play on the alternating biweekly week? That gives us non top 10 players to try and get into the top 10 when the top 10 don't play? Or separate servers?

er, did that make sense?

I also like the idea of adding 2 or 3 mod weapons. Maybe 2 of them are non tracking and the other is the "fun" one like the tornado. Is there a way to program a map on the frequency it spawns a weapon?

IP:

Paranor
posted June 25, 2001 10:15 AM            
RexR - I also noticed that the dwarf is becoming popular. I finally tried it early last week and liked it so much that I switched.

I'm going to try liquids again but so far I just can't stand them. Maybe it's because Coax and Weatherman are always blasting me and they use them?

IP:

Paranor
posted June 25, 2001 10:30 AM            
I have another mind-boggling idea for DDM's: RECRUIT NEW PLAYERS!

The WM's demo server seems to have 3-4 people on it whenver I check at night.

Anyone know of someone buying a full copy?

Is LDA dropping in and asking them how it's going?

Are any of us?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 25, 2001 10:57 AM         
Hi Gents - was a lot of fun, sorry I showed late. Thanks to Skan for serving.

Skan, what is the problem - are DDMS getting too repetitive for you (not suprising considering the number you have played). I think you are put off by aggressiveness often beating skill in the DDMS. That is just the way DDMS are - a race to 30 frags. We need to try someting diffferent. How about next Sunday we race or have team battle again. Maybe we can come up with a variation on DDM - maybe 8-10 players max. and as soon as you have 5 deaths you are out. (you must have F>D and F+D > 10 to win) That would really emphasise skill and no doubt give the aggresives pause . C'mon Skan, what kind of game gets you going?

Supe, the top 10 DDM sounds like a great idea. I haven't had time to work on my ladders and I am starting to think that they are an overanalysis (though the basic stat page is still sound). Lets make it a requirement that you have to have finished a DDM game in 1st or 2nd to play in the top 10 DDM.

Neo, Paranor - some impressive play last night. Looks like I need to keep practicing if i am to keep my tenuous grip on the bronze spot. Paranor - I like your alternating idea ( i just re read the previous posts).
Lord Byron has gotten a lot better - I think he got me as often as I got him. Way to hook 'em, LB!

Yeah - go chat up the freshmeat!

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 25, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 01:23 PM            
If LDA dosen't stop buy the new demo servers al least some of us do.Paranor,Vlad, and I were on with 3 new guys the other day.I always try to downgrade the demo by saying how much the full game is better

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 25, 2001 01:26 PM            
Thanks Weather,

Aint it amazing what lowering your netrate can do for your DDM play? This was the first DDM in 6-7 tries when I actually fought humans more than my computer. Before I even contemplated stopping altogether b/c of lag. The ping was decent this time and I even stayed in #3 position for a good part of 2 matches...I kicked butt just before the DDM, but I guess that's a fish tale as far as DDM goes. Watch out all. I may start gunning for you....Mwhahaha!

Good match all,
--lb

------------------

IP:

Neo
posted June 25, 2001 03:48 PM            
W-man, thanks for the compliment; also don't forget TurdHeart, he's been doing insanely (is that a word) well lately. He was kicking my @$$ like every time I came near him (partly cause every time I came near him I was already burning, and he had the mass driver like 99% of the time, but still impressive) .

Oh and I'm still thinking about the clan idea. You had mentioned how you wouldn't mind being in on it with me... Well I'm about to start a new post in the "strategy" section, where the clan/guild discussions are *supposed* to be, just to see who else would be interested in it, and maybe get the ball rolling here......

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 25, 2001 04:57 PM         
Shhhhhhh - I don't want TH to get a big head yet . Yeah, he is plenty good - I just havn't played him much yet - only feel qualified to give love to those that I know from multiple games

IP:

Paranor
posted June 25, 2001 05:04 PM            
Thank you for the compliment Weatherman. Someday I might be able to frag you more than once per game!

You too coax!

Yeah, TH popped (pooped? ) on the ladder pretty darn quick. Nice flag, too!

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 25, 2001 05:57 PM            
Aw jeez - you guys....

I gotta give props to Nemzad for the big nuke kill last night.
A couple of 'em might have been on his team, but it sure looked good!

I made a direct nuke hit on *somebody* last night and somehow they survived - I, of course, bit the dust. Who wuzzat anyway?

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 12:46 AM            
That was me - I had 3 health left. Very strange. I saw you had it and the slid tank to the left to turn & run (like that would help!)

You hit me on the left side - would that matter?

IP:

Rex R
posted June 26, 2001 01:51 AM            
from what I've seen, normally it doesn't matter where you get hit, you're toast. however if the nuke hit the ground... and all you got was splash damage then it would make a difference as to where on the tank you got hit(left front as opposed to left rear) sounds like it was a very near miss

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 09:22 AM            
What I'm wondering is why the TM nuke (or a modified nuke) doesn't mimic a real nuke better. It's great on fragging a bunch of tanks close together but it should also contain the shockwave weapon effect (but not as strong). That would be much more realistic.

Combine the nuke and the shockwave weapon and you would have a shocknuke?

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited June 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited June 27, 2001).]

IP: