|
Author Topic:   A warning to those who use custom flags
JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 12:52 AM            
DONT use the custom flags on a server that doesnt have the flag instaled! i noticed today (while running my little server) that if someone logs into a server w/ a custom flag and its not on the server that the server wastes all kinds of time complaining about not being able to parse something or other in a missing ent file. my guess is that it knows that it should make a flag wave in the breeze but doesnt know how since it doesnt have the ent file.

the server makes this attempt MANY times per second wasting resources. from the looks of it if many people log into a server w/ their custom flags it will lag the server down to almost nothing. i know on mine that speed increased a little once everyone was using stock flags.

just a little .02 to you all.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Neo
posted June 24, 2001 01:46 AM            
Funny that you mention that JV; I just completed work on 95 new custom flags and their *.ent files. I don't know if anyone knows or cares about them, but visit the art & modeling site for more details on this. If no one is interested, I will ditch the project right quick, so if anyone is interested, please make it known. Thanks guys.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 02:23 AM            
Well, since I'm running a demo server, I solved this problem by dl'ing Matrix's flag pack. That way, anyone who joins from a full ver game will not disrupt my server window.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 24, 2001 12:00 PM            
That was probably me causing all that grief on your server (I think it was the Voyager test" server - last night ~11 pm EST), and would explain why it was acting so weird for me. I don't recall if I was using a custom flag, but you can blame me anyway.

IP:

Nemzad
posted June 24, 2001 12:25 PM         
I know that I had one of the flags and JV noticed the problem. I switched to a stock flag and the problem cleared up.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 05:21 PM            
ya, it was the example with Nemzad that im referring to. the server window was just being slamed full of error messages while he was using that flag. 1 or 2 people using a custom flag probably wouldnt really that big of a deal to the server but MAN will it make for a HUGE server log.

having the custom flags all installed to a server would probably solve this but it may also just increase the time of the synch process to log on, i dont really know there, just guessing.

i think the title of this topic probably goes a bit overboard, sorry about that, i just thought this was something people should be aware of. if many people at the last scrap match saturday were flying custom flags that may have been part of their lag problems. Skan, do u keep a server log on that one?

IP: