|
Author Topic:   Lag/ping
ni
posted June 23, 2001 07:49 PM            
Yeah, I agree with Kaldar in reducing to a designated no of participants!!

My ping hit sky high tonight and lag was horrible at best! I'm not making excuses but it seems that a few other peeps had this prob too!

It was like the time between pressing the mouse button and the weapon firing was a life-time. Then turning round (to an elongated response) and facing 2 or 3 lone-wolves! Grr!!

Maybe in the future, with the idea of Karldars theory in mind, maybe splitting turner-uppers into a couple of servers if numbers are too high...lot of organisation'll obviously b involved!

HELP THE NEEDY!! Needy= TMers with bahookied puters an ping rates in the ozone-layer

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 12:23 AM            
as to the ping problem; how many people really know how to use their net rate setting? i know i didnt for quite some time. i have a 56K connection so i normally play w/ the netrate at 3K. if the server is a little laggy i drop it to 2K. on nites like tonite i drop it to 1 for best performance. i thelps A LOT to get rid of lag. i had almost no lag to deal with durring the match today. i have also heard that net rate doesnt make any difference on some peoples computers.

just remember to put your net rate back when youre done!

i was running a server earlier off my 56K connection and had 3 people playing with their net rates at 1.

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited June 24, 2001).]

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 02:38 AM            
I've adjusted my netrate many times before, JV-unfortunately, anything below 3K doesn't seem to matter for me. I used to play at 10K until someone(I forget who) mentioned that I should play around with it. I tinkered with it and lag got better. Now I play at 3K all the time and it's fine...until I get on Skandranon's or NGUK's servers with more than 3 other players. I've gone as low as 1K, but I'm tired of not having playable latency/lag. Mebbe it's my connection or ISP-I don't know. I DO know that it bothers me when I can't enjoy the game I love due to lag. Unfortunately, that may be enough to drive me away from MP....

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 05:41 AM            
with only 3 people your lag is bad on skans server? thats just plain odd. his server has the best ping. on there for me its almost like playing single player, and im going thru AOL even! there must be some strange problem effecting u, but i dont know what it would be.

IP:

ni
posted June 24, 2001 05:55 AM            
Well, havin a 56k in Glasgow, UK wouldn't help my case!

Skans servers prolly the worst for me as it usually flickers about 550 whereas nguk kesplattt is the best for me at around 350!!!

------------------

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 24, 2001 11:46 AM            
What about those of us on broadband? I've never really had any problem with lag, and I don't recall changing my settings. Is it possible that some of us are taking more than we should, and causing lag for 56K modem people?

I get jumpy bits when new people connect to a game, but other that that I'm good - except when I was on JVortex's Voyager testing server last night. It was quite jittery.

So, basically I have no excuse for getting my arse kicked in the grudge match yesterday... aside from being hungover.

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 24, 2001 04:29 PM            
Not possible, TurdHeart - the server determines max DL rates, and it's set to 10fps and 4K/sec.

You're in the UK and get 350 to NGUK? Ouch! I think maybe there's some problems on your end, too, Ni. I'm sure going across the Atlantic doesn't help (+200ms sounds about right), but have you tinkered with your modem/Windows networking settings any? Have you run Traceroutes to different servers to determine weak links? Try sites like www.speedguide.net and www.tweak3d.net - I know the first has utilities for maximizing your ping and modem performance under Windows. For instance, have you ever changed your RCVWin or MTU settings? If not, you might REALLY want to look into those. You too, Karldar. And anyone else.

Here's a few direct links to check: http://www.speedguide.net/editorials/packet_size.shtml
and http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/

I know the server wasn't that swamped... look at all the sub-200 pings in the shots.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 05:29 PM            
im not too surprised the little 56K voyager server was jumpy for u. i only threw it up just cause i could really. im VERY surprised that it worked as well as it did. i had the net rate on it set to like 2K and the FPS at 8 i believe. so it was gonna be a little jumpy for everyone regardless of connection type. so i guess little 56K servers arent completely out of the question for the most part, it opens up some new doors for beta testing weapons w/ a small group to test out online performance at least.

IP:

ni
posted June 24, 2001 08:49 PM            
Ok, Skan...I tweaked a li'l...but during DDM, I kept on having screen freeze! The ping was actually not too bad and lag was pretty low but (and it seemed when I was face to face with Turdheart most of the time...grrr) my screen really jumped all over the place at times leaving me vulnerable!

Any suggestions?

------------------

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 24, 2001 09:37 PM            
I had a few instances of that as well, so I don't think it was just you. Odd little jumps (packet loss?) every now and then.

I don't know yet, I'll check some more on the server. Other than that, it seemed to hold up well enough.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 25, 2001 12:36 AM            
for what its worth i get the same result as Ni.....

most 56k modems actually connect between 44,000 and 48,666

my netrate is 2

ive tweeked and i get the 300-400 ping region - any more than 5 players and i have to drop the game since it gets very very jerky 4 me.

and yes its true for any server in the uk - dunno why either - even in battlezone the uk servers ping more than 100 more than the california servers or the scandinavia / netherlands ones !

weird **** - maybe BT is pissing into the wind huh Ni !

LOL !

IP:

ni
posted June 25, 2001 06:30 AM            
Hey Matrix...seems it's every form of effluence!!! Grrrr!!!

I think I'll bug the flatmate into actually puulin her finger out the butthole an investing in a li'l cable modem!

------------------

IP: