This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Ideas for TM improvement
The Weatherman
posted June 23, 2001 05:01 PM         
Did anyone notice this message from Jim? It has been edited by me - the original is here /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001102.html
--------------------------------------------
posted June 14, 2001 04:04 PM

We'll also need some form of server auto detection to upgrade content files. We've been considering taking a limited open source
approach, especially if this would help get improved server controls up and running.

Releasing Texturizer would be part of this general plan, either sold as a stand alone or as part of a modestly priced downloadable mod-kit which would include our UV Mapper, Map Editor, Texturizer etc. (Hmmm...if it's the same price anyway, then the tools are free... ...requires some thought....)
Beyond making enough money to keep LDA from going under, we will try to remain idealistic and true to Seumas' vision for the future of Tread Marks.

So what do we need to make TM the most flexible/modable/accessible game out there?
Jim

Okay, give you best ideas here. Try to keep em short, sweet, useful , and realistic (as if that is possible).

Here are some of my favorite ideas that others have posted :
Dummy shapes and textures for unsupported mods and tanks. Jim already mentioned the option of downloding mods in game.

Ability to see who is in a m-player game and chat to that game without needing to join it.

A more robust scoring system with both Frags and Deaths tracked by the server. Also, a score table that retains the scores of dropped players and allows them to rejoin and keep their old F and D's . This should also keep displaying the scores of players who disconnected and didn't make it back - maybe put "disconnected" for their pings. This would make team game scoreing much more accurate.

Thanks for listening, Jim.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 23, 2001 05:32 PM         
Since fast internet connections are quite common by now, many users could profit from a central mod download server that is accessed from within the game - automatically (UT-like).

So many tanks out there, so many weapons with new meshes, a couple of custom maps on some of the servers and 90% of the newbies will stop playing this game after the first attempt to play online ("uh. strange. nothing happens. hm. weird graphics errors. ****ty game. so what.")

It would not be too difficult and not too expensive, imo, to define a standard for file placement on a central file server (or several, should TM become widely known and played). The clients would only need the map name and server IP then - little surplus traffic for both the master server and the game servers.

If mod and file server lists could be supplied by each server (with file sizes retrieved from the file server), then the clients might even be able to choose which mods to download and from where.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Second suggestion:

Have the servers transfer a list of active players to querying clients.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PS: Strangely enough, I was going to create a new thread concerning Jim's post myself right before I found this one.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 23, 2001 11:58 PM            
A way of keeping a IP list.I hate having to manually enter in IP's all the time.

IP:

Neo
posted June 24, 2001 12:26 AM            
Someone may have mentioned this before but I would benefit from......

Adjustable zoom in addition to freelook. A lot of times I will be stuck in a crater or in a crowd and wish I had a wider angle, without having to change the actual viewing perspective. My hands hurt from changing camera angles so often; if there was a zoom feature I could just change it every once in a while. Lots of small camera "quirks" and stuff could be cleaned up a bit, too.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 12:33 AM            
i made up a list on my site a while back. here is a direct link to the page: http://server2049.virtualave.net/jvortex/html/TM/TM2ideas/index.html

lots of stuff id like to see, and that isnt even a complete list.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 24, 2001 04:16 PM            
This is an easy one...

Request #1 by a long shot:

A way to manage Mods! Be able to run multiple servers with different mod packages off the same TM install. A simple GUI that let you choose what Mod you want a server/local client associated with, and a simple way to switch it on and off. Want to play stock TM on your local LAN? Just click the radio button. Want to run a server with Kasplatt Pack? Click a button and start a server associated with that package. Want to run a second server on the same machine, with a different pack? Boom, click the button.

Also, a way in game for an (authenticated?) server operator to switch maps, boot people, boot/add bots, etc. You know how nice it would be to be able to type a command IN GAME that told the server to restart the map AND choose a certain map, overriding its dedicated.cfg? How many times have I been on my server and been asked to pull up the Ramp or a CTF map and have to tell people, "Well... it doesn't really work that way, I'd have to go edit a text file for a few minutes just to change to a certain map." That's not really acceptable.

And finally, yes, model and mapmaking tools along with a basic FAQ of what the system can and can't do would be wonderful.

I don't think this would be that hard, and it'd make life for me and a lot of others easier

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

Nemzad
posted June 24, 2001 05:20 PM         
I would like to see a way to add or remove mods from the game.

I also think that an updated radar with a GRID so when in team matches you could give exact locations would be cool.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 24, 2001 06:12 PM         
Nemzad - your prayers might not pass unheard... That's next on my list of projects - might introduce it for proper map distribution (custom spawn point entities/terrain textures/etc.) - might help with automatic mod downloading and installing, too.

IP:

ni
posted June 24, 2001 07:16 PM            
Oh an teach these AI's some manners!!! Maybe, as I mentioned to Nemzad mid-blasting, introduce some chat etiquette.

Like what WM says in the 'Styles of play' section (where you should leave a chatter alone during and after for about 3sex), make the AI's automatically deter from someone talking during their oncoming assault.

It might b tricky to program I guess, as if they were to always leave a chatter alone, the user would only have to start talking to stop the AI from a certain frag, then the AI wouldn't b able to touch him for a designated time after.

If this suggestion is to be heeded, I propose to combat this problem, maybe if someone wants to chat, they'd have to be outwith a certain distance from other tanks!

(Ni waits to be blasted outta the sky...again)

------------------
I'd Like to buy soom Cheeeeeezzz!!!!

IP:

Seven^3
posted June 25, 2001 01:36 AM         
The one thing I'd like to see is the option of having seperate cameras for the turret and the base.
This could be taken even further; a split screen would allow two people to operate one tank, one as a driver and the other other as a gunner.
Further again; a full-on co-op mode for two people to operate one tank either on one PC, a LAN, or over the net.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 25, 2001 04:58 AM         
Ni - maybe simply prevent AIs from starting attacks on chatters.
Let them finish assaults once they've begun them, though. That way ppl should be able to chat in relative peace whenever they want.

And again, auto-taunt keys would be a cool feature, inspite of their tendency to make communication pretty boring.

A pure team chat mode would be really cool, too. I don't know whether the in-game chat allows whispering, but a chat command like "/t" for "team" followed by a message that can then only be seen by the server admin and ones team members might help develop better team-fighting strategies.

IP:

Rex R
posted June 25, 2001 05:02 AM            
doesn't the game already have a 'team' chat? I thought pressing 'y' brought up team chat

IP:

synack
posted June 25, 2001 07:48 AM         
Yup, either 'y' or 't' invoke team-chat. Don't know if the server admin can see it though.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 25, 2001 08:23 AM         
Looks like you never stop learning...

IP:

Vlad
posted June 25, 2001 10:35 AM            
It's funny what looking in the options menu will learn ya..

:-)

Chat macros would REALLY help the game, though. On team games, it's sorta hard to call for help when you're under fire from 5 enemy tanks. Also calling that a repair pickup is near you for a damaged teammate who doesn't notice is a pain. By the time you type your message, the teammate is usually far enough away to make it not worthwhile to drive all the way back.

IP:

ni
posted June 25, 2001 10:46 AM            
what about that Roger_Wilco package..maybe makin TM compatible with it, no?

Like some kind of voice chat instead of having to type and take time out of much needed obliteratin!!!

------------------

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 11:10 AM            
"y" is team chat and "t" is normal chat that all can see.

IP:

synack
posted June 25, 2001 12:23 PM         
Thanks for the clarification, Sailor.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 01:11 PM            
Or maybe just have a bright colors for team chat fonts.I admit it don't watch every message that scrolls across the screen.Applying a simple bright color to team chat should make those messages stand out.
Auto taunt keys have been brought up many times and I still think thet would be very handy.LOL,Good Shot,FU to just name a few.
Maybe we should make a new list and email it to Tom since I'm not sure they read this forum that much.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 25, 2001 02:21 PM            
Like for tema chat is could flash rainbow Anyways, Random Map and maybe Random Tank. Sadly i still haven't played on all the maps. I look at the pictures and skip around. ;( *crys* Also 3 digits for the frags might be nice Up and down waves might be intresting, along with the moving treads and 3d trees. Not acutal wave waves. Just the water level moving up and down nice and clam. Then everyonce in a while creating a whirl pool that sucks all the tanks to it. Over hanging ledges might be nice nad intresting. On ovre hanging ledges you might add a bit of gravity so the tanks could suspend themselves there. Yeah thats it. An Upside down level might be real intresting. But of course you would have the map mirroed right beeneath you. So if you did unhappily fall down from being shot to hard down to the air?? (fun saying that) you wou,d land downstairs where others would be. Spawn points on top nad on bottem. Imagine you see a nuke Windig strightt up into the air and WHAP!!! You see all the victims flying downwards *Its raing tanks and turrets! * Or Maybe an underwater level. Im starting to repewat myself now so i'll stop

IP:

JVortex
posted June 25, 2001 06:37 PM            
isnt roger wilco supposed to be compatable with any game? i dont know much about it.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 25, 2001 08:42 PM            
the radar settings can be changed if u try - im trying to make said green terrain grid as we speak for bz3 - theres already one in the original bz you see.

i have a smashing idea for an improvement - replace the full version launcher, ill be sending details to blandy soon as i have a model of what i think will be useful - blandy can easily tackle what i have in mind.

IP:

ni
posted June 25, 2001 11:07 PM            
I downloaded Roger Wilco a wee while ago but noticed that TM wasn't in the list of games it was integrated into...hmmm!

I think TM is a much more prosperous and original prospect than some of the other games on it ( don't ask which but some I ain't heard of)!!! Maybee....

------------------

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 27, 2001 01:53 PM         
I remember 1 now - How about an additional team designation called ref or observer. A member of this team should be invisible on the radar (or appear as a yellow dot), Have no weapons, not be able to be hit, and possible be invisible on the main screen, and the nearest enemy arrow should not respond to them. This would allow obsevers and refs to visually monitor games without interfering with play. Also a good way for seconds to hang out and watch a game till they are needed. A set max obs. setting would probably be necessary.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 27, 2001 02:12 PM            
"Kibitzing" (what weatherman is referring to)would be a great addition to the game.

You can expand it further and allow anyone to watch the game & learn or just enjoy whomever they want to lose get their tanks fragged.

Would definately not allow kibitzers to have chat capabilities.

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3