This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   MPZ hosting 1.6 demo and full servers.
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 13, 2001 08:06 PM            
This is a email I got earlier today:

Hello,
we would have no probs setting up a number of servers for you.

We run a remote access program called VNC so if your guys need access to the
servers they can use that.

On another point we are just on the verge of releasing a new gaming
network,which will allow us to micro bill our users easily for added
services. Perhaps we can look at tying this in with your existing and new
products at some point?

We would also be happy to run forums and community sites for the game.

Also, would it be possible to display MPZ banners or links on the web site
and possibly in the game, i think that would help us puish users your way as
well as giving us recognition of being involved with you guys

Ta
Mike Way
Director
MPZ LTD

Well,I think this servive will not only provide very fast servers but also attract people to the game.
Jvortex is going to talk to him because I don't understand all of the technical aspects of running a server,especially 1.6 demo server.Heres the address: http://www.mpz.co.uk
It wouldn't hurt to hve some more servers and I would do it just to have a fast,fulltime demo server.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 13, 2001 08:10 PM            
Oh yeah,heres his email address:
mike@mpz.co.uk
You guys with that know about tweaking game files and running servers need to email him and ask him the important questions.Just tell him your from Treadmarks.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited June 13, 2001).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 14, 2001 12:13 AM            
nonoonnoononononononnnoononononononnonononononononoo *Shakes head fsater than the speed of light* Add Banners in the GAME!?* maybe just MAYBE for hte demo players.....but not the game that'd ruin it! and why need an add banner it'd say it under the server info. Add banners are evil!!!! i used to play this one game "free" game arc. Then they put add banners in. So, just come after somebody at hte right angle and your invisible ok im just 13 right? k im getting my info from simcity now forgive me Now adding an Addbanner is like Raiesing the Tax's to well errrrrrrr well say alot more than they sholud be. *Watchs the cars drive into the town south of him* i lower the tax's the cars ceom back neat eh? now if i give them privleiges sucha s free clinics......etc evne more cars come and hte town flurhishs crime disappers. Now transportation is tricky. Don't put a road in the wrong place or cars won't go on it. Or allines from space *im not joking * eill come and fire windmills down at you along with trees lakes. But useally just FIRE When the people get mad they Riot. Buring down the place. Until you have to bringin amor tanks/polioce cars/fire departments.....etc gets messy. Now Plumbing you don't need it Electricity don't build nuclear power plants because they ALWAYS seem to get rioted by and they blow up and its bad news for your inocent citizens buring down buildings Not only that you get wonderful radiation waring all over the map. Hey this is like TM a little hehe. Now................. i think i'll stop talking because i forgot why im posting this and im to lazy to scroll back up but i rember it seemd really important

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 14, 2001 01:37 AM         
I am with GA , I think. You should probably run the idea past Jim for his input before doing anything that changes the game that way. The tone of his letter sounded like he thought you were a game designer instead of a fanatical fan . I admit, a fast multiplayer server would be nice and would take some of the burden off of Skandranon (sick lad seems to like it tho ) . I am more interested in how he can bring us more players. There does seem to be a good ideas there.

Edit: On rereading his letter I see more clearly. Servers are fine, links/banners on webpages are fine, microbilling is debatable depending on what they offer and banners in-game are way out.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 14, 2001).]

IP:

Neo
posted June 14, 2001 01:48 AM            
He said "Ta" in the email!!!! lol lol lol That made my day (night).....

------------------

IP:

Neo
posted June 14, 2001 01:57 AM            
(No mockery intended in the above message, GA... I'm just being silly. )

Also:

quote:
would it be possible to display MPZ banners or links on the web site
and possibly in the game, i think that would help us puish users your way

Funny; it appears that he made a typo, but intended to say: "that would help us punish users". Only one letter off.... Freudian slip perhaps? hehe

IP:

Rex R
posted June 14, 2001 02:04 AM            
in game banners... hmmm lessee guess there are a few possible ways of doing so... 1)have 1 painted on the side of a tank 2)tank flag/teamflag(server pak) 3)additional sculpture 4)blurb on the server info. of those, the server info is the easiest followed by flags, tank/skin. there are some other ways I can think of... but I'm gonna keep quiet bout them. I would not be adverse to new skins or flags or even server info/blurb. do think that anything else should be run by LDA

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 14, 2001 03:05 AM            
I don't mind, whatever helps TM you know.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 14, 2001 03:59 AM            
#1-I think he meant to say push and not punish Neo
#2-C'mon guys.I don't think its going to be a huge banner obstructing your view.I'm sure it will be something small and will pop up for a few seconds from time to time.Remember,the TM banner will also flash across bigger and more populated games.
#3-It will prob be a server for 1.6 demo only.If he does want full servers then all you have to do is stay off of it if you don't like the banner idea.Its not going to hurt anything to have some extra servers.
#4-I think if anything it could actually bring quite a bit over to TM.Even if the serve sucks we don't have to play on it,but the TM banner will still be showing up on other game servers.Free advertising
#5-I didn't think about it having to alter the game a little.I'm sure LDA would let it slide since its just a banner,
#6-Hey,if anybody has any of the games they host,stop on over and give it a try and give us a report.
#7-A guy wants to give us some fast servers+There is no permanant 1.6 server=Theres really not much to argue about
#8-Face it,the amount of TM players is pathetic copared to any game.I'm willing to do anything to get more people playing.I'm tired of connecting and finding empty servers.
What do we have to lose by trying?

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 14, 2001 05:27 AM         
We can trade in a great (if small) community for a bloated "hey, I'm just playing this game for the first time and it sucks, thought I'd just tell you that" community with lots of people complaining and cheating and boasting and FAR less constructive work.
We can trade a family for anonymity.
Who will remember Noper and Oracle when there are 5000 TM players?
Who will remember the guy who made all this possible?

then again that would mean commercial success for LDA and that would be good for them, at least.

I think that is a decision the McNally family has to take, but I for one would miss this community.

(Maybe I should just stand back and be quiet - perhaps I've simply been around for too long.)

IP:

Vlad
posted June 14, 2001 07:23 AM            
While I don't really think that in-game banners are good at all for this type of game, keep in mind that it just isn't possible with the way that TM is designed. If the banner was just a texture on the side of a sculpture, tank, whatever, the clients would have to download the image files, which I doubt anybody would do.

If they're talking about a pop-up banner that comes up over TM, then not only would that probably not work well either (it would probably screw up most people's video), and I doubt that anybody would go there.

While I do like this guys apparent enthusiasm, we're not hurting for servers for version 1.6. We've got 5 currently, and one demo server. Considering the size of the community, that's not bad at all (also considering that I don't think I've ever seen one of these servers with more than 8 human players on it, tops). So if they do manage some sort of popup ad thing, nobody would play there.

It looks like Mike is just asking if it's possible to get a link on the TM homepage, or if it's even possible to put a banner in the game itself. I don't think he's saying that TM will HAVE to have a banner ad inside it.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 14, 2001 03:27 PM            
I emailed asking if there has to be a in-game banner.Haven't got a reply yet.I think we can get by without having one.
As for the servers,I don't think there is such a thing as too many servers.Plus the only demo server is ran from someone's home.This would be a server that is always up.Like NGI.LDA made the new demo to attract new player and customers.
Dreamer,I think any game developer strives to see their game succeed.The amount of players playing TM says to me that this game is far from a success yet.When I can get on any server at anytime of the day and see actual human beings playing,then TM will be a success.Don't get me wrong.I'm not saying its not a success because of poorly written code or 3rd rate environment,The game is excellent.Where they failed is in advertising and distributing.I for one would be happy to see lots more people and I would go out on a limb and say thats what LDA wants too

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 14, 2001 03:52 PM            
I presonally think, put a link on both TM and MPZ sites. and leave it at that. Just because you get a big fat link in the middle of yuor web page/game doesn't mean your gonna click on it more. It might annoy you more so you wouldn't go there. Look at how many people are on that site. They'd mostly all eventually click on TM link. and people bought the game to play it without add banners....etc Maybe you put add banners in demo. but not in full And also, a while back there was a post on identity. If a giant group swept into TM well errr...... lets just hope two people aren't looking for the same name. Or that seombody doesn't wanna mimic soembody else

------------------

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 14, 2001 04:04 PM            
Sorry that I haven't been around much...these are some thoughts....comments and suggestions welcome, although I hardly need to mention it with this group

First, this core community will always have a special place with us and we hope not to lose that in future.

In general, I'd like to move towards a downloadable version, perhaps with just a core of files that will convert the demo to full version...Extra content would be freely available in manageable sized chunks. (A full version would be available on CD as an option.)

The problem we face with giving too much away is that ISPs are passing on the bandwidth charges and to have large content files available for free add-ons will add a significant amount monthly to the already expensive bandwidth costs for LDA. (More sites are linking for downloads rather than providing a mirror.)

Thus, a downloadable version would require some form of copy protection not based on a CD. I believe in simple systems based on honesty (Serious pirates will break anything, anyway.) so I'm sure we can come up with something.

We'll also need some form of server auto detection to upgrade content files. We've been considering taking a limited open source approach, especially if this would help get improved server controls up and running.

Releasing Texturizer would be part of this general plan, either sold as a stand alone or as part of a modestly priced downloadable mod-kit which would include our UV Mapper, Map Editor, Texturizer etc. (Hmmm...if it's the same price anyway, then the tools are free... ...requires some thought....)

Beyond making enough money to keep LDA from going under, we will try to remain idealistic and true to Seumas' vision for the future of Tread Marks.

So what do we need to make TM the most flexible/modable/accessible game out there?

Jim

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 14, 2001 04:07 PM            
All of you are idiots except Super.

Who cares if someone remembers NOPER or not, who cares if someone remembers Dudymas' cookie doh cravings.

Its really selfish to keep such a great game hidden from the rest of the world.

Let them put the ad banners let more people come to the servers. I would rather have 15 people to play against any time of the day then 0 people to play with and all 0 of them remembering Dudymas' choice in food.

Sorry, to be rude. I'm frustrated that TM is such a small game, that no one knows it. And, still a little bit upset that TM released 1.6 with that flaw that made it incapable for people that downloaded the game to play on-line. I know it was all fixed but i bet we missed a lot of good people from that.

edit:the post is not intended towards LDA, they snuck their post in before me

------------------

[This message has been edited by coax (edited June 14, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 14, 2001 04:32 PM         
Okay, Mr. Rude-pants! Yeah, the game has to get pushed but in game banners ain't the way. Sounded like MPZ may have some other trades to offer for server / publicity. I would hazard to say that all of the webpage hosters would gladly ***** out their sites to get more players. But, in game ads would suck. The only thing I think would be okay would be MPZ Ad Flags on tanks (user selectable) or expanded server info on the server menu (maybe more space to pimp commercial hosts). I bet most private servers would be cool with slipping in selectable Ad flags in their mod packs ( so others can see them) . Also maybe a host image (hard to do without a download) or a text ad during the cooldown periods. What I would hate to see is the Tanker running with Ads painted on the sides, billboard landmarks , or goodyear blimps (bikini clad t-shirt lobbing girls ok though ) What I am saying is nothing obvious or obstructive. That being said I would tolerate a lot if it gives LDA a new revenue stream without taking away from the game experience.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 14, 2001 04:45 PM         
coax - I know I'm an idiot. np with that. I know I am being selfish. np with that, either.

Helping TM to the success it deserves has been our goal for many months now, so np with that, either.

But I don't think I need to feel ashamed for being selfish - maybe I have really grown too accustomed to this community: it's one of extremely few I frequent and by far the most appealing one.

As I stated above: Commercial succes for LDa would not be a bad thing, but I will always despise those uncaring, anonymous communities that make up 99.9% of the gaming networks. (Imagine your own site, coax, with 5000 player biographies on it. In all probability, noone would need a site like that - it only makes sense for a small community to have such a site. Same applies to the DNX bio subpage.)

--------------------

As for a copy protection - a personalized code that is derived from the name of the registree and compared to a database located at the master server at startup would turn away most pirates, I think - simply disable a code once two clients connect using the same code at the same time... An extreme measure, but a good copy protection.

-------------------

In my opinion the reason why TM is not very well known is that it takes time to really get into this game.
Now take into consideration:
[list]

• impatient people have a tendency to drop a game if they don't understand/(can have fun using) it 100% the very moment they've got it installed and running.
  • many the same impatient people have the habit of being very loud about things they are not content with.
  • totally normal people, no matter how much they deny that, have a strong tendency to believe the guy who screams loudest.

That means that many people who would be patient enough to learn this game will not even look at it because all around them people are whining how bad that game is.

If you remember some of the first TM reviews - there were some reviewers who gave TM ratings way over 80% and some who rated it under 50% - those who did the latter mostly blamed the fact that tanks in TM do not behave as expected. Unfortunately those are among the most prominent reviewers and thus have a loud voice to scream with, metaphorically.

------------

Yes, it is sad that TM has such a small player-base, but having many more players would definitely damage this community and I for one like it. A lot. You cannot blame me for that.

-------------

ad banners would be acceptable, IMHO, but I don't like the sound of the word "micropayment"...

IP:

• Vlad
    posted June 14, 2001 05:03 PM            
    Ugh, don't remind me about lousy TM reviews... here's the worst offender:
    http://pc.ign.com/reviews/13442.html

IP:

coax
    Administrator
    posted June 14, 2001 05:38 PM            
    Sorry, I was kinda hard on you guys. Getting frustrated with this take home final I got for Group Theory. Hey, if anyone can tell me what a square plane does to an octahedral ligand field please do tell. If that sounds confusing to you, I don't know what it is either.

Secondly, I can't really defend against the fact that many want to keep the community small becuase thats your opinion. But, I don't think the "potential" of having party-poopers over ranks the idea of players 24/7

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
    posted June 14, 2001 06:22 PM            
    Coaxs- *grins* the Square plane Flys across the Octahedral Field What else? or it might be oc means 8 right? so maybe you have to place a 4 cornered sauqre/shape onto a octagontal grid. Maybe im just strange. ifall else fails Just put flys across the field :^) hehehehehe

------------------

IP:

JVortex
    posted June 14, 2001 07:34 PM            
    i have to admit that for the most part i do agree w/ Dreamer on this. i also agree w/ weather-dude, i would hate to see add banners slappeed to the side of my tanker .

coax also has goo dpoints as well. but from what ive seen from mike (the person offering the server) he has NO intention of obtrusive baner adds at all. he in no way wants to detract from the game. all he wants to do is make a little money for the company in whatever way is acceptable. he knows that obtrusive annoying adds are going to keep people away from the server.

he has also offered to host mirrors to the game downloads as well as a place to host a fullversion pay download off of his site.

one easy option to incorperate "banners" into the game is a replacement set of team color flags w/ their logo on each (or something such). a pack could easily be put together that would only make these flags appear on only his server. the flags would just be placed into whatever server packs were released for that server. granted some people would probably go in and later things to stop them from showing, but there wouldnt be any reason to.

as to the micropayment whatever thingy i know that this wont go over well at all. i also dont know what this even is yet. im emailing him to find out (as well as a bunch of other things).

this site/ server/ setup here does seem to offer quite a lot and probably would be worth a small monthly or bi-monthly charge. but i know that i for one would just simply avoid a pay server regardless of the extra features they offer (which really are quite a few).

this new server isnt something thats going to happen over night. and assuming that everything works out well and happily as it gets set up this really does appear like it will be the best of the TM servers. if you want to check it out a little more go over to their site and sign up with a username, then just browse around. youll like what you see.

i too hope that popularity doesnt turn the TM community into a bunhc of mud.

------------------
    Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

SuperUnknown
    Administrator
    posted June 14, 2001 10:39 PM            
    Sounds good LDA.......
    As for the banners,as I stated above,it doesen't sound like its something that has to be done.I emailed Mike asking if they had to run banners.Haven't got a reply yet.I'm sure he just wants to do it to attract people to TM,which is not a bad thing.
    Has anybody tried out their servers yet to see exactly what he is talking about.I'm going to do it ASAP and I'll tell you if its bad or not.
    I just want some people to play with.I shouldn't have to go to the 1.01 demo server or wait for the Sunday DDM's to find 10 or more humans on a server.
    I would miss this small community stuff like Dreamer would but man.....I'm willing to sacrifice that to get a lot more players.

IP:

Rex R
    posted June 15, 2001 01:49 AM            
    on the community angle personally I think that the view of more ppl is bad is prolly exagerated. we have what about 10-15 active posters? well I've seen similar numbers for the "tomb raider" and "quake(x)" news groups. oh thats not to say that they don't get a steady stream of newbies but, they have a core group of ppl who are there most of the time, mostly saying the same sort of things(hey how ya doing, great game etc.)

IP:

coax
    Administrator
    posted June 15, 2001 03:51 AM            
    hehe, maybe TM will get so popular they will have me be an administrator for the forums.

------------------

IP:

blandy
    posted June 15, 2001 04:16 AM            
    I have a simple answer to the AD's question... THAT'S BULLSH!T MAN, we don't want stupid ass AD-Banners in there. > , well, if it can B helped anyway.

Gotta go ppl!
    http://icb.cjb.net

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2