|
Author Topic:   Help With IE Content Advisor Bypass
JVortex
posted June 08, 2001 05:45 PM            
a friend of mine (Kasplattt actually) was away for the week and when he returned home family members had somehow activated the IE content advisor.

it gives the following error message:
"Please check your content advisor settings for missing information. Click the tools menu and then click internet options. On the content tab, check the content advisor settings."

no one has any idea how that could have been turned on and everyone claims they had nothing to do with it (everyone in the house is computer ignorant as well except for Kasplattt). this glitch is stopping almost all internet access. he can launch AIM but the news ticker gets shut down for violating the content rules. ALL websites are off limits. it requires the password to either disable the thing or alter its settings.

i should mention that this isnt code for anything. Kasplattt is plenty old enough that mom and dad didnt lock him out of his computer or any other such thing. even a solution that completely fraggs out IE is fine as long as it can be restored to at least factory settings.

at the moment im remote linked into his computer and will be for a while here to try and make changes. any suggestions on how to kill the content advisor would be great while im still logged in and can do it. if someone has an idea here soon please ICQ at me. if not soon, then just reply here and ill try to get him fixed at some point.

thanks all!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited June 08, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 08, 2001 06:16 PM            
I have an idea. Use Netscape

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 08, 2001 08:37 PM            
You Could reinstall IE And make sure the Advisor part is COMPETELY DESTRYOED. Like for soem programs. I've found the regular folder in program files. Then the rest is stuffed away in soem werid folder. Which you aren't supposed to find or edit. Maybe it was only that one program. But you might wana check

IP:

JVortex
posted June 08, 2001 09:14 PM            
gotta get online to download netscape!

and im not sure that the content settings would be replaced w/ a fresh install since it probably makes the "whatever" file after initial installation.

IP:

Neo
posted June 08, 2001 10:25 PM            
He can: (in order of despair)

A) Run diagnostics, just in case (Norton sysdoc, etc.).
B) Look for config files, mess around with settings, then play with the registry and see if you can't disable the problem.
C) Clean install IE.
D) Call tech support of some kind (lol Robu), or try to find your way through Microsoft's halls of medicine (not recommended).
E) Format the disk and reinstall windows (yikes).
F) Throw the computer out a window and buy a new one.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 08, 2001 11:27 PM            
http://osiris.978.org/~brianr/nopics-ie/
Explanation on how to disable it.Hope its what your looking for.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 09, 2001 01:49 AM            
thanks super, i think that got it. need to restart the comp to find out for sure, and i cant do that remotely, well i can... just too much hastle. (kinda fun using someone elses computer when its in a different state ).

anyhow i was using his comp a bit and all seems fine until i close IE then start it up again, which i expected for the most part. the settings all reset back to lock down mode. so i left instructions on his screen on what to do, so ill find out tomorow...

thanks guys!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 09, 2001 04:40 AM            
No problemo

IP: