This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Demo 1.6 Master Server Fix:
LDA
Administrator
posted June 07, 2001 10:18 PM            
The demo fix:

In the config.cfg .. change MasterPort = 12399 to MasterPort = 12499

That should allow the 1.6 demo to see games listed on the Master Server.

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 07, 2001 10:40 PM            
How will the people who dowmload the demo know to do this?

IP:

Vlad
posted June 07, 2001 11:14 PM            
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that he means for the server to change the setting. I'm guessing that the demo players can only see servers with that value.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 08, 2001 12:30 AM            
WORD! I'll give it a try.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Karldar
posted June 08, 2001 12:41 AM            
No, he's talkin' about the demo config, Vlad. Works like a charm, tho . I guess they'll make an updated config available for dl and/or incorporate it into the demo dl from now on. Damn, now I feel kinda dumb for not noticing that . Oh, well....

P.S. Thanx, Jim. I thought I was gonna have to start pullin' my hair out .
------------------
I like pie!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited June 08, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 08, 2001 01:14 AM            
Meaning that anyone who downloaded the demo in the last week will not be able to play online unless they happen to stumble across this sight..........Not good

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 08, 2001 02:26 AM            
JIM, I would highly reccommend that you let the community beta-test anything that will be released to the public. We usually can find a bug in a couple of days so its not like it would really hold you guys back to much. just my $.02

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 08, 2001 02:53 AM         
Everyone with a personal TM webpage should post the demo fix on their page, especially coax and Matrix as they have links on the TM main page. As of yet, the TM page doesn't have this demo fix posted and has not released the fixed demo. We can help get the word out and keep the freshmeat - er - i mean the new demo people interested.

Word on regulars helping to test new releases, coax.

EDIT: Jim has updated the demo download page with info on how to fix the demo. Still probably not a bad idea to post the info on personal sites as it will take time for the demo download to get fixed and to update all of the file servers.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 08, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted June 08, 2001 04:14 AM            
i just sent a note to matrix about this. im not gonna bother posting it on my site tho since all my hits are generated from the board here anyways. i havent even bothered to index on search engines yet.

anybody wanna do it for me ?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 08, 2001 05:27 AM         
As for a fix - a master server message of the day would probably be the best way to inform ppl of bugs like this. A message like that would be easy to incorporate into the master client (even if not as easy to integrate into the standard TM prog) - if I understand the communication procedures between master server and client right. Simply pass a message to the main chat box and there you are. Maybe someone could even program a bot to do that if the standard messages are hardcoded into the master server (could be).

(Maybe) Good news, btw. I've seen two active players this morning at 9CET.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 08, 2001 10:27 AM            
ill pop it up on the dmf yes, JV, ill submit your site up - what meta tags do u use.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 08, 2001 12:23 PM            
well thanks Matrix, wow, i was joking actually. its not that im lazy, its that i know enough about search engines to know that i dont know enough about how to index. im just not looking foreward to the time spent to learn more and bending my brain around how to rank well.

the info's in the mail.

IP:

Rex R
posted June 08, 2001 02:06 PM            
just a word of note. if you see 'alef' on a demo server that will prolly be me (alef is my AD&D alter ego 14lv mage) figure if I have to use a totaly different tank I should use a diff name. kinda fun suckering the bots with plasma mines

IP:

uck
posted June 08, 2001 09:26 PM            
ok but the demo people need someone to run a server for them that only uses unmodified ramp map because thats all thats avilalable to them.

please correct me if im wrong

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 08, 2001 11:19 PM            
Can't really do anything until we find out what LDA is doing.They have control of the master server.They might just stop with the explanation on how to fix it on the website.I have a feeling the damage has been done and its too late to correct it Pretty soon the demo is going to be buried in the archives of the websites.I think the only way to redeem it is to release a new corrected demo.Were they planning on just letting the players run their own servers?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 09, 2001 02:06 AM         
Hey Supe, don't go getting blue - I got the impression that they were working on correcting the demo files for upload. I do wish they had given us some word before releasing the demos and the patches - to beta or set up servers or something. The game and the community will grow, m8. I hope that regulars are hitting the demo server to break in any newbies that might pop up . I already talked to one new guy that sounded like he was going to get the game. Keep yer happy thoughts or ill frag ya !
The Weatherman

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 09, 2001 02:30 AM            
The full demo 1.6 on our site is corrected.

We'll leave the patches....

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 09, 2001 04:36 AM            
Hey Weatherman,where is he demo server.Is there actually an official server up now that players can see?Last time I checked it kept coming up blank.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 09, 2001 10:39 AM         
Unfortunatley, there is no official Demo server. Kardar was kind enough to put up a demo server (thanks Karldar!) which shows up and is accesible to the updated Demo. JV, could you ask Malice to put up a demo server on NGUK (with the correct messages ) That will free up Karldar's smackdown and give the demo players a more permanent home. I don't know what LDA is doing toward securing an official demo (or full ) server.

EDIT: Supe, did you do the fix that Jim gives in the first message in this thread?

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 09, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted June 09, 2001 12:29 PM            
ya i can ask malice to do that. should i have him replace the CTF server then? whats everybody think on this?

and if we do replace the nguk CTF server then what has to be done to set it up as a demo server? i have to have everything set up for malice when i send off the packages.
1) limit available maps to the ramp
2) no addons on the server
3) "update" stock tank files to comment out all tanks but the 2 demo ones. also comment out the nuke and something else... whats the other weapon that isnt in the demo?
4) what else?

IP:

Rex R
posted June 09, 2001 01:59 PM            
as near as I can tell the 'shadow keeper' and matter bombs are not in the demo either (not sure about the cruise)

IP:

Karldar
posted June 09, 2001 02:35 PM            
Well, I didn't see the cruise ent in the 1.6 demo files, so I guess it's out too. Think it's just missing that, the nuke, matter bomb and shadow. AFAIK. Don't know how well my server's been working lately. I'm working all weekend and my roommate has been playing Everquest(he appears to be addicted) on my machine cuz he doesn't have a 3D card(some people-sheesh!). The good news is that I got him one for his b-day and it should be installed today. Hopefully, it will work and he'll be back on his computer tonight. Okay, that's all I've got...I think. Oh, btw, the server's completely unmodded and it doesn't have the aforementioned weapons, either. Dunno if that's good or bad....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 09, 2001 02:45 PM         
Yeah, I think the CTF is the way to go. Please make sure he gets the correct message list - don't want to give newbies the impression that TM is buggy Thanks, JV and Karldar

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 09, 2001 11:32 PM            
Everquest is very addictive
I haven't installed the patch because its kinds pointless unless a new demo is distributed.I don't mean like the one on the TM site.I mean send the new demo to pcgameworld and wherever else they sent it.I think very few will actually track down this site and dload the patch.If the correct setup was sent with the first 1.6 demo,then I'm sure you would be seeing a whole hell of a lot of people on the server(s) right now.The fact is that they are going to have to send the new demo out again so that it might be put back as a download of the day or a hotfile of the week.I look at http://www.pcgameworld.com and the first thing I see on the page is the updated demo with the wrong setup

IP:

JVortex
posted June 10, 2001 12:02 AM            
crap, i had forgot about the wierd nguk messages, i still dont know what the problem there is, its not the lines file, cause i sent him a new one. crap crap...

theres something else wrong with the server itself, just dont know what, and i dont want to tell malice "just reinstall the game" if i can avoid it. he wants a VERY low maintenence server. i guess if no one has a solution in the next couple days or so ill tell him just that tho.

anyone have a suggestion on what would be the easiest way to prepare a zip for malice would be? a zip to knock the full version down to a demo server i mean. i dont think i have a fresh enough install of TM to really make one based on my own files.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2