|
Author Topic:   I'm worried about the new demo people
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 03:24 PM            
TM 1.6 demo was at the top of pcgameworld list of most popular dload.Meaning a lot of people downloaded the demo.The problem is that as I'm sure all of you know,theres no place to play online for these people.I don't know why LDA released the demo with no server to play on but I think it was a very bad move.People are going to download it,play a little on single player,the delete it because theres no multiplayer.I'm glad they released the demo and I've been pushing the idea for a long time now.
My question,is there anybody who can download the demo and run a server for these people until LDA gets one up.I don't think you can run a server using 1.6 full.For some reason you can't see it when you try to refresh server list in the demo.If I could I would.We just need to get something up fast if we want the new people to play online and eventually purchase the game.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 06, 2001 03:35 PM         
can we have one of the NGUK become a demo server?

IP:

JL
posted June 06, 2001 04:16 PM            
I downloaded the demo and the dedicated server option is grayed out. I ran a server from 1.6 full but could only access it from the demo when I type the IP in. When I refresh internet within the demo it goes to the checking website message then I get the "not connected" error.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 06, 2001 04:24 PM            
Super, I am running a demo server-or as close as I can get. You can't run a server with the demo. Well, if anyone's figured out how to please let me know. I've tried everything short of hacking files(which I won't, and for that matter, can't do) to get the demo to acknowledge my server. I'm running just the ramp now with the two default demo tanks-Destroyer and Falcon. The only way I know for people to get there is to type in the IP:

65.1.40.90:12300

Dunno what else to do, Supes. I'm really waiting on LDA to address this issue. I think it would be cool if we could get NGI to host the new demo, they wouldn't even have to change the address. On a good? side note, I saw Vlad tryin' to connect to my server, but I was playin' on it so the lag might have been too bad. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. In the meantime, hopefully peeps'll get on here an find the demo IP if nothing else.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 06, 2001 05:14 PM            
Actually, I managed to connect just fine. I accidentally had Liquid Dunner (a downloaded tank) selected for my tank, and it wouldn't let me connect.

I picked Falcon and was able to get right on. Do you have it set to only allow the two demo tanks to connect, or can people join in with any of the default TM tanks?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 06, 2001 06:19 PM            
according to jim, the 1.6 demo users have access to one map only - and he says they can join full version games, but only on that map so i guess i recon that if u set a server up to host and use only ONE map - THE MAP whatever map it is, then i see no reason the demo folks cant use it !

1 map, falcon tank, full server !! can it get any easier ???

IP:

Karldar
posted June 06, 2001 07:28 PM            
Vlad-> Got the server set up with just the Destroyer and Falcon cuz I was afraid people with just the demo might get blown up by invisible tanks from the full ver. Dunno if LDA addressed the issue of tanks not being visible if the client doesn't have the ent files in 1.6 by designating a default tank/shape to represent them or not. 'Sides, I think it's more fair to only allow the two tanks for everyone.

Matrix-> My server's set up for only the map(Ramp) and tanks allowed in the demo-that way there shouldn't be any surprises for demo users like the one mentioned above.

Got AI skill set to 60%(down from 70), but I think that's too low considering how long people on the NGI server have been playing the game. I'm not sure what the happy medium on skill might be between new users and old, but hopefully this'll only be temporary anyway. We should see some more demo servers poppin' up any day now...right, guys? LDA? Anybody?

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 10:44 PM            
I don't see why you can't set up a server like Matrix said.Only the Ramp in rotation with the 2 tanks.I don't know why it wouldn't pop up when you refresh the server list.LDA needs to address this quickly or the demo release will be worthless.Can anybody email Jim?I'm sure they know about it but I'd like to know when things are going to be made right.And it needs to be corrected while the demo is a feature on demo sites.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 07, 2001 12:07 AM            
How many times do I have to say it ? I'm running a demo server with THE demo map(Ramp) and THE two demo tanks(Destroyer and Falcon). There's nothing I can do(AFAIK) to make the server show up when demo users click on "refresh internet". Hopefully, some of them will see the topic I started on here and get to my server manually.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 07, 2001 12:13 AM            
I've heard now....and just brought it to Tom's attention...

...He'll check it out shortly.

Jim

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 07, 2001 01:26 AM            
I know Karldar.I was just throwing it out so maybe somebody could give an explanation
Thanks LDA

IP: