|
Author Topic:   How to create a server
Skandranon
posted June 06, 2001 03:33 AM            
I know this is a repost of something I just wrote, however, it's useful, I think, and might help some folks out. So, I'll post in a new topic.

Here's a basic run-through of how to create a TreadMarks server:

First, create a shortcut to TreadMarks.exe and put it anywhere. You can even put it in the Startup folder so when the machine boots, it starts the servers. Note: TM servers use negligible processor time on a reasonably fast machine, I was running two on a Pentium-200!

Next, right click and edit the properties of the shortcut. If you add " - dedicated.cfg" after the Shortcut Target, then it will automatically start up the game server with the dedicated.cfg settings when it is executed. For instance, the Target line would read:
"C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\TreadMarks.exe" - dedicated.cfg

Note that the " - dedicated.cfg" addition is OUTSIDE the quotation marks on the Target line and there are spaces before and after the dash!

When this is done, you'll have your server set... now, how to run multiple server types? Easy.

Do exactly the same thing, except make a copy of the file dedicated.cfg, change whatever you want in it, and then name it something else (this is very easy, since the dedicated.cfg files are raw text and have good explanations in them on what-does-what). And that's the name you use on the Target line of another Shortcut to TreadMarks.exe you've created. For instance, for my DDM server, the Target line is:
"C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\TreadMarks.exe" - dedicated-ddm.cfg
and this refers to my modified dedicated.cfg file in the Tread Marks 1.5 directory.

Also, when you create a second Shortcut and configuration file, make sure you change the port numbers for the ServerPort and ClientPort in the dedicated.cfg file! They default to 12300 and 12350, respectively, and I usually use 12200 and 12250 or 12400 and 12450 - but they can be anything reasonable, I believe.

Finally, if you want to use Mods on your server, the server will use whatever you have in your Addons folder (and TM main folders, but you did keep those sloppy mod files from installing in your 'real' TM models/entities, RIGHT? Otherwise they're kind of hard to disable...). And, to my knowledge, there's no way to avoid a server using Mods if you have some in the Addons directory - so no running a Mod server and a non-Mod server on the same installation. How do I get around this? Install multiple copies of TreadMarks in different directories. Crude, but it works on my DDM/Mod server setup.

Hopefully this quick instruction set helps - anyone that wants to steal this and repost/use it, go right ahead if you feel like it.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

[This message has been edited by Skandranon (edited June 06, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 06, 2001 01:06 PM         
This is awesome, Skan! I always wondered how servers worked. I will add this the Forgotten FAQ that I have been workning on barely , if that is cool wit you.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 06, 2001 01:12 PM            
excelent m8, ill be sure to put this on the DMF

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 06, 2001 01:58 PM            
Maybe one of these days I'll get a wild hair and write a FAQ or help on another. Wouldn't be hard to write a good one - just a matter of time.

We'd need to cover installation, known bugs, version differences, hardware it works on and what is recommended, gameplay styles, tactics, differences in vehicles and weapons, basics on servers and client management, and how to modify settings or create new models. Wouldn't be that bad - if you want to see bad, go read some Final Fantasy, Baldur's Gate II, etc FAQ's at www.gamefaqs.com sometime.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

IwantTreadMarks
posted June 18, 2001 09:09 PM         
Hey Skand, I did everything you said, except there is no dedicated.cfg sile in my TM folder. I have the 1.6 TM Demo, does that matter?

------------------
What up????? My life IS computerz, LOL...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 18, 2001 09:50 PM            
Sorry,I don't think running a server is an option in 1.6 demo.My advice is to go pruchase the game,only like $20,then you can run all the servers you want.Including a demo server and yes you will still be able to play on the demo server with the full game.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 18, 2001 10:02 PM            
Striker you can send me the money, and I'll buy a copy of TM for you.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP: