|
Author Topic:   Issue with 1.6
Skandranon
posted June 05, 2001 08:57 PM            
Just wondering if anyone's had this problem with ver 1.6:
When I install the patch, TM will begin loading on startup, change screen resolution, music plays... and nothing but a black screen. And also won't return control enough for me to even kill the process. Have to do a hard reboot. Not cool. I never have to reboot this machine, and like to keep it that way.

Also, this even happened on a fresh installation, straight from the 1.5.5 CD as well as my 'tinkered' install with all the mods. Right now, I'm at a loss. Ideas?

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 05, 2001 09:05 PM            
ive noticed an interesting quirk - at the end of a match, when it goes to the load the next map, the comp just freezes - every time - its a complete lockup and i need to hard reset to get back, most annoying. the only way around it is to ditch the game as it ends and b4 it tries to load the next map - i just rejoin the same server then on the new map.....

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 05, 2001 09:08 PM            
A few others have reported that problem (and the related 'lost connect after match/map restarted), even in 1.5.9.

I wish I could track down this lockup, but no luck yet.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

KONG
posted June 05, 2001 09:44 PM            
i have the same prob it usually happens after 3 or 4 games. this started happening before 1.6

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 05, 2001 11:24 PM            
I just loaded the 1.6 patch yesterday and was testing JV's new Yoyager tank with excellent success when I started having the sound drop completely out and I do mean completely. Nothing - nada - zip!!! I have to quit the game and reload entirely (no reboot) before the sound will come back. Checked sound card thoroughly and it is working perfectly. Any thoughts on this phenomenon.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 01:30 AM            
I downloaded the 1.6 demo not the patch and I get a "error launching program" promt when trying to start the thing?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 01:54 AM            
Cancel the above.got it to run.....but now I can't connect to the master server.When I click refresh server list it checks the website and comes back to the multiplayer screen.The status bar says I'm not connected.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 02:08 AM            
Ok....last time Apparently theres not any servers yet for 1.6 demo.The master server IP was correct.Uh,so people are going to download this thing and theres no server to play on?Not good

IP:

Karldar
posted June 06, 2001 02:30 AM            
Well, before I read your post, Super, I went ahead and put up a demo server. I call it Karldar's Demo Smackdown-original, huh. Anyway, it still doesn't show up when I fire up the demo and try to find a game server.

The IP is 65.1.40.90.

Try that if you get a chance, Supes. I was able to join with the 1.6 demo after typing in my IP. Seemed to work fine. Only thing is that I set it up with 3 maps-one being the ramp. That way people can only play MP with the demo when that map's up. When the other 2 are on(don't remember which ones I left in) only full ver peeps can play on it-no demo peeps. In other words, there's 1 game/hour for people who dl'd the demo. How's that sound? Lemme hear some feedback-esp. if you can tell me how to get my server info to show up when the demo players hit "refresh internet". Not sure what's goin' on there. LDA, any hints? Is havin' the server up cool with you guys?

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 06, 2001 03:10 AM            
Karldar - why don't you just set up two servers, one demo, one full, and in the demo dedicated.cfg just put The Ramp as the only map? Remember to set them to use different ports, of course. I run my multiple servers on the same machine, after all - if you have any trouble with it, I can help. Just email me.

ADDENDUM:
Actually, now that I think about it, I'll explain a bit for those that don't know how to do it in the first place.

First, create a shortcut to TreadMarks.exe and put it anywhere. You can even put it in the Startup folder so when the machine boots, it starts the servers. Note: TM servers use negligible processor time on a reasonably fast machine, I was running two on a Pentium-200!

Next, right click and edit the properties of the shortcut. If you add " - dedicated.cfg" after the Shortcut Target, then it will automatically start up the game server with the dedicated.cfg settings when it is executed. For instance, the Target line would read:
"C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\TreadMarks.exe" - dedicated.cfg

Note that the " - dedicated.cfg" addition is OUTSIDE the quotation marks on the Target line and there are spaces before and after the dash!

When this is done, you'll have your server set... now, how to run multiple server types? Easy.

Do exactly the same thing, except make a copy of the file dedicated.cfg, change whatever you want in it, and then name it something else. And that's the name you use on the Target line of another Shortcut to TreadMarks.exe you've created. For instance, for my DDM server, the Target line is:
"C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\TreadMarks.exe" - dedicated-ddm.cfg
and this refers to my modified dedicated.cfg file in the Tread Marks 1.5 directory.

Also, when you create a second Shortcut and configuration file, make sure you change the port numbers for the ServerPort and ClientPort in the dedicated.cfg file! They default to 12300 and 12350, respectively, and I usually use 12200 and 12250 or 12400 and 12450 - but they can be anything reasonable, I believe.

Finally, if you want to use Mods on your server, the server will use whatever you have in your Addons folder (and TM main folders, but you did keep those sloppy mod files from installing in your 'real' TM models/entities, RIGHT? Otherwise they're kind of hard to disable...). And, to my knowledge, there's no way to avoid a server using Mods if you have some in the Addons directory - so no running a Mod server and a non-Mod server on the same installation. How do I get around this? Install multiple copies of TreadMarks in different directories. Crude, but it works on my DDM/Mod server setup.

Hopefully this quick instruction set helps - anyone that wants to steal this and repost/use it, go right ahead if you feel like it.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

[This message has been edited by Skandranon (edited June 06, 2001).]

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 06, 2001 03:12 AM            
Oh, and I would comment on the lack of servers... which seems a bit disastrous if one is going to release a network demo... but I can't even get the thing to run correctly, so I have a different direction to my constructive bitching.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

Karldar
posted June 06, 2001 03:24 AM            
The reason I just put up a demo server w/3 maps is because:

1) I don't know if my system can handle 2 servers .

2) I don't think that my full server is needed, while demo servers seem to be nonexistent at the moment .

3) Since the ramp is the only available map in the demo version, I didn't feel that people using the demo should be able to play MP non-stop around the clock Once an hour seems fair(if troublesome) to me.

That(to me) was a big drawback to the first demo. Yeah, people might not even bother to check it out if it's not up constantly, but I figured I'd try it for now. My intent is to make people who only have the demo wait for their MP time. I might put up a ramp only server later, but I hope that we(regular players) can get on there every once in a while and talk up the full ver. Hell, I don't know-mebbe I'm just talkin' crazy . That's why I asked for feedback, tho. Doubt that many people with the demo will go to the trouble of tracking down my IP when nothin' shows up on the server screen. Wish I could figure that one out....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Rex R
posted June 06, 2001 03:42 AM            
I saw your server on the list, I just could not connect

IP:

Rex R
posted June 06, 2001 03:54 AM            
um thought occured to me, which 2 tanks are in the demo? cause demo players might be able to connect to a full server but not be able to see who is blasting their tank into scrap metal...

IP:

Karldar
posted June 06, 2001 04:04 AM            
Barbarian and falcon, Rex. Are you saying that you could see the server in the demo, but couldn't connect or the full ver? I've checked everything I could think of, but can't see my(or any other) servers in the demo. Me confused.

EDIT: It's the destroyer-not the barbarian. I coulda swore it was the barbarian, tho.
------------------
I like pie!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited June 06, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted June 06, 2001 06:02 AM            
no i could see the server from the full version(don't have the demo) just took forever to connect

IP:

JVortex
posted June 06, 2001 01:52 PM            
i just went and looked and the server shows up on here. i went to it and logged in just fine as well, no problems at all. seems like my normally glitchy computer is a big fan of 1.6.
also, btw, Karldar, what do you have the AI skill set to on that server? looked like it had to be at at least 80 or so. i personally dont think it should be over like 20, tops. the demo server after all is for new people who arent all that good yet. i know of 2 people so far who almost gave up on the game because it was so hard (their AI Skill was set to 100). its one thing when you want a challenge, another when youre just playing to relax. i told them how to use the AI Skill setting and they were all happy after that and BOTH went out and bought the game. point is that if the demo server is so hard people may not bother with it. just a thought...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 06, 2001 02:58 PM            
Karldar:I have 1.6 demo and could not see your server.I could see it only when I ran the full game.Do you have the demo or are you running it with the full game?Maybe if you downloaded the demo and ran the server through the demo.Its not a big download if you have broadband.I just think somebody should put up a demo server ASAP while it is in the spotlight.

IP:

JL
posted June 06, 2001 04:19 PM            
The Run Dedicated Server option in the demo is grayed out.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 06, 2001 04:54 PM         
Karldar - I just logged into your server from the demo just fine. Of course I had to know the IP number. I am going to mail it to jim and tell him about the problems - I am sure he already knows and is working to fix it, but just in case. Could you please change your game to the Ramp only until such time as we get other demo servers? Maybe send your setup to NGUK to make one of them a demo server... Thanks.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 06, 2001 11:39 PM            
I had a problem not being able to connect to the master server or individual sites until I reset my firewall (ZoneAlarm)

IP: