|
Author Topic:   SteeringWheel, Gamepad, Stick , keyb+mouse ? which one is best for this game ?
DDD
posted June 04, 2001 06:36 PM         
Obviously if you play UT with a stick, Need for Speed with a gamepad, or Falcon with steeringwheel, then plz don't answer this question.

All i want to know, from the real professional players and the people who designed this game. is that which gaming device is the best for this particular game.

tnx

IP:

JL
posted June 04, 2001 06:46 PM            
Since you don't need incremental steering like most racing games the keyboard or keyboard and mouse combo work good. But if you prefer a steering wheel or joystick they work fine also. No single gaming device offers an advantage over the others its just preference really.

Welcolm to the TM community DDD.

[This message has been edited by JL (edited June 04, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted June 04, 2001 07:21 PM            
Well, I use the mouse and keyboard. I've got it set up (and I figured out how to do it in 1.6!!!) so that I can freelook with the mouse, and the turret will turn to face where I'm looking as fast as it can.

That way, I can look around as fast as I want, and not be limited by the turning speed of the turret.

IP:

DDD
posted June 04, 2001 07:32 PM         
From what you're saying, this game was designed with the Keyboard+mouse combo in mind.

If i was asking is because i have access to all those gaming devices including a dancing pad

3Dshooters are usualy meant for keyboardMouse while racing games even if they're playable on keyboard, a steeringwheel will give you a better feel of the road.

I was simply wondering which gaming device offer a better feel in this game.

IP:

JL
posted June 04, 2001 07:33 PM            
Yes I also use keyboard and mouse. I switch freelook from the Caps Lock key to the Num Lock and while in free look hit the P key to attack the camera to the turret so the turret follows the camera.

IP:

uck
posted June 04, 2001 07:54 PM            
whats a dancing pad

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 04, 2001 08:05 PM            
IMO, a joystick + keyboard is the only way to play TM.

IP:

DDD
posted June 04, 2001 08:21 PM         
A dancing pad is a hudge carpet where and stand on it and dance.

used in dancing games and maybe some combat games.

Its just a gadget...

Has anyone tried Tread Marks with a gamepad ? or any force feedback devices ?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 04, 2001 09:13 PM            
I use the Microsoft gamepad to play most of the time. I just map the actions I want to the various keys and go at it. It works pretty good, but I may still have a key set to move between freelook and turret mount of the camera for ocassional use.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 05, 2001 04:32 AM            
That dancing pad reminds me of that pad Nintendo had out so long ago.Anybody remember that?
I use keyboard and mouse and I'm quite comfortible with it.I have used a gamepad before and it worked fine for me too.Just a el cheapo I bought at Wal-Mart and plugged into my game port.I mainly use it for Playstation emmulated games when the controls don't exactly carry over to well to the pc.

IP:

Manray
posted June 08, 2001 01:42 PM         
I use a Microsoft Dual Strike gamepad and it works great! I never could get quite comfortable with using the keyboard. Each to his own I guess.

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 09, 2001 12:30 PM            
I've switched between my MS Sidewinder and keyboard/mouse, and I think I've settled on the Sidewinder. The shift option is good for setting up the turret and camera angles. However, I doubt it has made me any better.

IP: