|
Author Topic:   Important DDM news
Skandranon
posted June 03, 2001 01:30 AM            
Bad news, folks - I've found a serious memory error with the server and can't get in to work on it this weekend, so unless something changes I can't host the DDM this weekend.

I hope to have the server operational and RAM replaced Monday/Tuesday, if the memory problems are just cheap RAM (which I suspect they are).

Sorry about the trouble folks - this is what you get for using generic RAM. Won't happen again, I insisted on good stuff to replace it. I just hope there aren't any OTHER problems lurking around. We can reschedule or just take a week off, up to the masses.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 03, 2001 01:41 AM         
That sux....what other current server can take the load of a DDM? Any ideas?

This also raises a question that I have been having - Skan, how are you paying for the servers you have been providing? I am not opposed to chipping in for facilities fees and you do host most of the 'official' TM matches. Is it possible to rent an even faster connection with money from the dedicated? Just an idea....

IP:

Skandranon
posted June 03, 2001 01:47 AM            
Short answer, Weatherman?

Hush!

They're on 'stolen' bandwidth at work.
Basically, it's hosted on a server that doesn't do anything at all 99% of the time, so there's no harm in making it a game server in its spare time. However, it gets no support other than mine, obviously, since it's not work related. Asking the administration for anything would be a Bad Idea (tm). Even though they know, don't remind them I'm using a computer for a game box.

The place is locked up tight this weekend, I can't go in to fix it in time for the DDM, that's the main problem.

I'd offer my own box, but I doubt its 384k upload is enough. We'd need twice that, I bet. Might be worth a try, though...

If anyone's got a better idea for hosting, I'm game, but failing that, I'm postponing my DDM until at least late next week.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

Rex R
posted June 03, 2001 02:04 AM            
well I suppose we could try ng(uk)... dunno how well it would work

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 03, 2001 02:22 AM         
Looks like are only options are NGUK and Cornell. How about at 7:30 pm est, we get as many people on the NGUK server as possible to stress test it. If it flakes, we jump on the cornell server. If both are bunk, we declare it a non-DDM free for all and everybody just goes to an open server and plays whoever they find. No official records kept, just have fun. Hey, that doesn't sound half bad

IP:

Karldar
posted June 03, 2001 02:53 AM            
This thread reminds me to mention something.... I was thinkin' it might be a good idea to limit the amount of players/DDM game to a reasonable and (hopefully) lag-free number. I love seeing 15 players on a server, but at that point it seems that play suffers quite a bit(no offense, Skandranon). Mebbe just for a few of us, but it would be nice to afford everyone the chance at low latency play, I think. Weatherman, I think you might have brought this up once before. Anyhoo, what about a max of 10 players/server or DDM game. I know it'd be fairly easy to set the .cfg for this, but I don't see how we could get the same kind of turnout without more than one server at a time or some kind of player rotation. In any case, I'd like to hear what the consensus is from you guys.

BTW, thanks for the server-bad memory and all .

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 03, 2001 04:03 AM            
Karldar...We didn't have much of a problem for the one two weeks ago(didn't attend last Sunday's).The one 3 weeks ago was real laggy,but Skand narrowed it down and had the problem fixed.I enjoy seeing so many on one server,lag or not.99% of the time we're complaining about the lack of people so I don't mind sharing a DDM with 15 others

OK........who are the people that run the mod servers.Maybe they could take it down and run a regular one.It would have to be DSL or faster to handle the large bandwidth consumtion.We could just all gather on one like stated above.I agree with Weather about getting on a little early to see how it goes.We could always change servers at the last minute.Its not like the poeple are not going to know which one we're on
One of you guys have to be running on DSL.That should be enough.If I had it I would do it.If all else fails I guess I'll c you guys on Cornell or NG around 7:30.
I don't think I posted about the T3 I was trying to get.So far its a no from the head honcho.But my freind its trying to talk him into it.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 03, 2001 05:27 AM            
If everyone was using ICQ we could coordinate through that. But LDA did make us a nice Chat client we could use that to coordinate all our needs.

Skan, thankyou so much for what you have done. It wouldn't be possible to have these things without you. Thankyou so much.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Robu1
posted June 03, 2001 01:43 PM            
Cornell is an LAN right? It always has the lowest pings to my recollection, and I've always had the fewest problems on it - I'd vote Cornell .

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 03, 2001 02:38 PM            
Unfortunate - this was one of the few ones I could actually make (and was planning to).

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 03, 2001 03:07 PM            
RC,its still going on at the same time.Just on a public server now.BTW,Don't you have a T1?
I vote for Cornell too.It always has low pings.Maybe thats because its just bots

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 03, 2001 07:46 PM            
Looks like Skan's server is up...going to join it.

IP: