|
Author Topic:   Lads, lads, lads!!
ni
posted May 31, 2001 04:40 AM            
As long as my ping's good on the nite, I'll take on any1!!!! Ramdrills at the Ready!!

IP:

ni
posted May 31, 2001 04:56 AM            
o, and I'm on the verge of contemplating installing a DSL and wondering if it really lives up to hype!! I'm a 56k junkie just now.

IP:

Vlad
posted May 31, 2001 07:27 AM            
Well, if you don't mind the extra $20 a month, it's VERY worth it. I've had DSL for about 6 months now, and I couldn't go back. For the $40 version, I get about 60k/s downloads, ping 30 in most half-life servers, and Treadmarks plays like a dream online.

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 31, 2001 04:36 PM            
DSL is great - I've had mine nearly a year (I think), and I've loved it every step of the way...

IP:

Neo
posted May 31, 2001 04:41 PM            
Is cable better? What about the new satellite AOL?

Don't you have to be a certain distance from some kind of DSL splitter hub, in order for DSL to work well? How do you know how good your bandwidth will be, before buying it and trying it out?

IP:

Vlad
posted May 31, 2001 05:12 PM            
Neo, as a rule, stay away from anything involving AOL. Trust me, you'll be better off that way.

From what I've heard, Cable can be a mixed bag. I think that it has a higher possible maximum than the $40 DSL, but there's also the problem of bandwidth sharing (the more people in your area online at one time, the slower you'll be going), and the fact that most cable companies are pretty lousy in the customer service department.

When buying DSL from your phone company, they'll have the different rates for different speeds. I get mine from Verizon, and they had a list that you could choose from ($X a month for Y kb/s, etc). Also, it's not a question of having to be close to a routing station (usually 5 miles or so) to work well, you've got to be close for it to work, period. If you give the potential provider your phone number, they'll be able to tell you if that number is set up with their DSL or not. For instance, I wanted to initially go with Earthlink when I decided to get DSL (seeing as that's what we had already), but it wasn't available where I lived at the time. Verizon's service was available, however, so I went with them. Most companies also have a 30 day guarantee, so you can try it out without worrying about getting nailed with cancellation fees (I can't cancel mine until I've been with them for a year).

So if you can get it at your current number, go for it.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 01, 2001 03:42 AM            
AOL Plus powered by DirecPC has over a 1000ms ping Meaning,don't try to play games online unless its Spades

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 01, 2001 11:01 AM         
Cable for me has been great. Customer service through Time Warner has been good. I have noticed only 2 outages tha twere quickly fixed. Price is comperable and throughput is always excellent and I usu have one of the smallest pings in a game (can't type that w/ a straight face, huh huh, huh huh).

EDIT - Plus, no service contract/obligation

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited June 01, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 01, 2001 11:34 AM            
In general, Cable will provide faster file DLing speeds, while DSL will typically give you better average pings, and guaranteed bandwidth.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 01, 2001 01:11 PM            
I've always heard DSL is best for gaming since your not sharing bandwidth with everybody in your neighborhood I would be glad to have cable or DSL though.

IP:

TREAD_THIS
posted June 01, 2001 01:54 PM            
I have a cable modem via Time Warner and the speeds have always been great. Their service has been shocking - good that is. They called me up one day and said they need to stop by and swap put my cable modem - there was a recall on it.

I pay $30 per month with a digital cable package and like Weatherman says there is no contract.

TDS Metrocom is offering DSL in my area and I'm conteplating trying it out. However, that's a 1 or 2 year contract but since I work with TDS business in my job I think I can work out a trial period instead. Heh, heh.

IP: