|
Author Topic:   DDM Ranking
The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 07:36 PM         
Hi All,
I have taken the job as DDM statistician and a couple of questions have come up:

1. How are the top 3 spots for the DDM determined and who is eligible

2. What kind of stats are you interested in for an analysis page

3. Do you guys want to have a ranking system for overall TM swellness

Here is my idea for #1 :
Rank is determined by total frags from all games in a DDM with ties decided by smallest number of deaths. To be ranked in the top 3, you must have played all games.

#2. Some interesting stats would be Frags/Deaths per game and overall. I know this is Skandranon's favorite stat . I was thinking about another stat that may be more meaningful, Efficiency
Efficiency = Frags/(Frags + Deaths)
This would be a measure of how often an encounter with you leads to a frag.
Skan would still have the best efficiency

#3 - This might be complicated but no doubt would be based on how you do in DDMs. Would you all want this? I kind of like having a bunch of DDM winners but not needing to declare someone the all-DM champion. If this is something desired, please post ideas here.

I have an updated stat page here from DDM4 : http://www.che.utexas.edu/~johnsan/DDM4analysis.htm
Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Also, could someone send me screenshots of DDM5 games 1 and 2?

Gimmie Feedback, please!

IP:

JVortex
posted May 14, 2001 08:15 PM            
there are screens on my gallery page on my site of the last 2 DDM's. i also sent coax a copy of all picts. you can go to my site and grab the shots there or ask coax, he may still have the zip file, i dont.

and keeping an all time champ sounds like a kinda good idea as long as it doesnt get to be too much of a pain

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 08:22 PM            
I have all the DDM pics on my computer, only thing I'm lacking is time. I'll post the DDM screen shots of the final scores on my site within whats left of the day. I'll post all other DDM screen shots everyones takin on my site as well. I'm trying to make it look nice but might just go for efficiency and dump them somewhere and have a link from my site to them again all depends on how much time i have.

I have a take home midterm due tommorrow and i refuse to leave campus untill I'm done with the 1st question.

edit: 900th post

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

[This message has been edited by coax (edited May 14, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 10:37 PM            
The overall champ is the one who had won the most DDM's(coax I think....).Kinda stresses the importance of attending these things.I know I've missed a few.I think the ratio stuff is interesting,but the champ should be determined by most frags only.I guess defensive play is as important as offensive.Not just running in with guns blazing,but doing so while protecting yourself at the same time.I find myself concentrating on one target to often and forgetting about everybody else.I noticed thats when Weatherman comes up behind me with a Ramdrill (I'll have to find someway to use that against you Wheather )You know,you see a enemy on fire,so you go right after him.Aggression is high in a DDM,and I'm usually looking for the fast kill.I'll have to break myself of that for the next one.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 15, 2001 12:10 PM         
I was thinking about it and I have come up with some stats that might be of interest to players:

Outcome of a DDM is determined by who has the most total Frags (F) with ties decided by the smallest number of Deaths (D). This pretty much makes it impossible to win a DDM without playing all games. But, it would be nice to have a way to compare the performance of people who were not able to make all of the games. To eliminate the bias of not having played all of the games, stats are calculated using Average Frags (AvF) and Deaths (AvD) per game (that is a straight average of a players F and D for the games played). However, these simple averages are not easy to compare between DDMs because the total kills per game varies considerably with the number of players. I have come up with 3 stats that are portable and give insight into your playing style. These are Skill, Aggressiveness, and Deadliness.

First, let me introduce the idea of average Encounters per game (E):
E = AvF + AvD , This is simply the sum of all deadly encounters that a player has in a game. Total Encounters (TE) is then just the sum of all players E

Skill (S) is then defined by S = AvF/E . Skill represents the fraction of all encounters where the player frags the other person. Skill ranges from 0 to 1 with a Skill of .5 means that you Frag as often as you die.

Aggressiveness (Ag) is given by Ag = E / TE . This indicates what fraction of deadly encounters in a game you participate in.

Deadliness (De) is given by D = S * Ag . This stat combines your skill and aggression to quantitate just how deadly you are. However, this number does not give an indication of your deadliness compared to the other sharks in the sea. To do this, we need to calculate the average Deadliness (AvDe) of all players in the DDM.

Deadliness Factor (DF) is given by DF = D / AvDe. DF is an estimate of how a player would have fared if they played all games and played consistently. DF ranges from about 2 to 0. A DF of 1 means that you are an average player.

I hope these stats will prove interesting and give players real feedback on how successful their playing style is and how they might modify their style to boost their frags or decrease their deaths. Please let me know if this information is useful or if you have any suggestions. - The Weatherman

I have run up these numbers for DD4 and posted them here: http://www.che.utexas.edu/~johnsan/DDM4analysis.htm

Coax, could you host these on your site if they prove interesting or useful?

As for 0verall King of TM, I guess it would be easiest to assign point values to the top 3 spots in a DDM (3,2,1) and the person with the highest total DDM points is Da King. Suggestions?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 15, 2001 01:57 PM            
I'll host anything you make for the community. Just tell me what you want and how you would like it.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Skandranon
posted May 15, 2001 05:53 PM            
Wow, Weatherman, I'm certainly impressed. Damn impressed. I like the analysis that you've done. Useful AND fun to read. I knew I wasn't really /that/ aggressive. I run away laying down covering fire too much.

Oh... and there's a typo in 'AverEage Encounters' *chuckle*

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 15, 2001 06:30 PM         
Thanks, I knew you would like your big ole skill rating. I though it was interesting to see that my high aggressiveness makes up some for my lower skill .

I tried to make the stats as fair as possible. I was hoping that the lower ranked players could use the skill and aggressiveness stats to see what they should work on. I am also hoping that you will try to get more aggressive and let your skill #'s slip! Also, the DF indicates that we should watch out for JL, if he manages to make all of the games . I am really curious to see how people do over several DDM's - if the numbers will reflect how they felt they did in the game and if people #'s change fast or slow. I really want to track a brand new person's stats to see what their learning curve looks like. (See what happens when a geeky engineer marries a school teacher!)

I don't know if my averEaging scheme is totally kosher for estimating performance with missing data. I tried it several different ways and the current method gives similar numbers to more rigorous methods but has the advantage of easy calcuation. I will post the excel spreadsheet later if anybody wants to use it for training matches. It is pretty easy to use- all you have to do is enter names, frags, and deaths for each game.

I will run the DDM5 #'s through the mill once they become available.

As always, suggestions are welcome....

IP: