|
Author Topic:   Most recent DDM
Skandranon
posted May 14, 2001 03:22 AM            
Hmm.... too bad I was busy all day and desperately needed to sleep. Yes, while the DDM was on, I was snoring. Well, gryphons don't snore - maybe whistle - but you get the picture.

Nice turn out.... with this kind of turnout, maybe we should make it a semi-reliable weekly thing? 8pm EST every single Sunday? We need something reliable in the community to make people get together and communicate.

I honestly didn't expect there to be bandwidth and lag problems - that's a bit surprising. But, if there were 15 people on at the same time, that poor server was trying to push out 90K/sec continually, not counting repeats for lost packets! Poor thing. I might have to lower its client data limit. Back to 10fps and max of 5K/sec per client? I'll make those changes immediately and see if it impacts gameplay.

Also - If we need a second server with more bandwidth, well, I'll see what I can do. I have a friend that works on another part of campus I might be able to badger into a server. AND, I have my own box with a 384k/1.5Mbps connection. It could handle at least 6-8 players comfortably. Maybe more. That's more likely for the next match, until we get some dedicated T1/T3's. (yeah, right...)

Good job, Weatherman - see, I told ya'll he was good. Guess I'll have to practice and show for the next one and see if I can reclaim a place.

And, all-righty, I'll take Spikey out of the rotation. Never seen such a bunch of whiners! *chuckle* Keep it up and I'll put in Ram Dump, Tank Luge, and Armageddon.

EDIT: Addendum - hmm... with no one on, and in the dead of night, I'm noticing some serious lag on my remote control of the server. I'm suspicious something else might be wrong that contributed to the high DDM lag. Dunno if it's the machine, or maybe local telco problems, or what yet, but I'm seeing disturbing packet loss (10-15%). Maybe Verizon is working on the lines or something.
Addendum 2 - after further research, I've found the problem is NOT the server, and NOT the campus network. From within the network (other side of campus on some of our main servers), I can ping the TM server with under 10ms responses, and no packet loss (even after hundreds of packets from multiple simultaneous pings). That means it's something outside of campus and along a telco backbone. Time to harass some big companies.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

[This message has been edited by Skandranon (edited May 14, 2001).]

IP:

JL
posted May 14, 2001 08:10 AM            
If you had the servers set over 5k and over 10 fps thats the reason it was laggy. There isn't a dial up in the world that can keep up with over 5KB of data, never the less 20fps.
From experience I found 10 fps and 4KB to be fair. That way everyone gets dished out the same amount of bandwidth.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 03:23 PM         
Yeah, I think every Sunday at 8 EST would be great. There seems to be enough support (if last nights flood was any indication).

There has been a lot of talk about finding new, fast servers to handle the rush. That would be great. Anybody with solid leads or plans should post them here or start a new thread.

I think we should have a non-binding signup for every DDM. That is, people who think that they will show, should sign up either in a post or someone's (coax's?) webpage. This is just to get an idea of the size of an upcoming DDM and of course, drop ins will not be excluded (we can est. %125 of signins to show ). To this end, could you leave your DDM server up all of the time? This would have the additional benefit of extra practice with the DDM configuration and help find any problems ahead of time. Also, you could put a pointer to the signup sheet in the info box on the server menu and maybe have AI-'signup for the next DDM here *location*' running around.

I plan on skipping DDM 6 (not that I think that I would necessarily win it, but the absence of the previous winner will ensure turnover).

The DDM is a great community builder. Having it regularly would also be great promotionally as it would be someplace new people would be guaranteed to see m-player action. In case you haven't heard it lately - this is a kick @$$ community!

Thanks for hosting!

IP:

Skandranon
posted May 14, 2001 04:30 PM            
No, JL, afraid that's not the case, not a hard and fast rule at all.

See, my servers have been set at 12fps and 6k/sec since they started. Even dialup users seemed to be just fine. Maybe not optimal, but I don't believe that was the problem with lag - at most, a minor contributor or instigator.

I've traced part of the problem to lost packets - something's wrong with a regional telco trunk.

I'll plan on having DDM set up every Sunday until further notice or a better host comes up. With the changes I'm making, if the lag makes another appearance, I'll also donate my home machine to host.

Of course, suggestions, ideas, bitches, anything are welcome. I check the message boards fairly regularly, can often be found at FurryMUCK as 'Skandranon' (in case any of you are REALLY strange like me and hang out there...), and can always be quickly notified of something at skandranon@tranquility.net

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 10:41 PM            
BS Weatherman,the best part of the next DDM is revenge

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 15, 2001 06:32 PM         
Maybe so.... and maybe I will show. I did have a nagging feeling that I was winning just because Skandy wasn't in the house.

Any leads on servers?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 15, 2001 11:35 PM            
I talked to the guy with the T3 yesterday and he seems willing to host it.BBBUUUTTTT................he is not the sole owner.He has 2 partners(who also happen to not play games )who have a say in the matter.I'll keep you posted.

IP: