|
Author Topic:   We Need To Fix The DDMs
coax
Administrator
posted May 13, 2001 11:31 PM            
Way to many people during this last DDM. Does anyone have "Good" suggestions on how we can fix this?

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 12:01 AM         
There are only two ways to handle the demand of 12-16 people:

A T1 server or better

2 DDM servers. Try to get the majority of people confirmed into a serrver a head of time - shoot for 6-10 bodies apiece. Any latecomers should head for the server with the least amount of people. The top 3 players from each server play against each other for top position. The top 3 and overall will be determined by total frags with ties decided by lowest deaths. Let the first round be 2-3 boards and the final round be 2 boards - that should even out any favorite map advantage. Everyone can meet in server chat after the first round of games to figure out who goes to finals. Also, to keep the top position open, the winner of the last DDM should not play but ref and calculate the top 3 and final winner ( Score screen shots could be mailed to them) .

What do you think? I think that this or something similar would be the best way to handle this wonderful glut of players in the DDM.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 12:11 AM            
Faster server.Everybody needs to be in one game at the same time.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 12:34 AM         
Well, who is going to pay for one? I will kick in $, but I would rathre not have to. Jim said he would look into one..... I don't really want to push him, though. I think the 2 servers idea is workable if it is developed more. I know it would suck not to be able to play all of the games. What do the other players think?

IP:

Robu1
posted May 14, 2001 12:38 AM            
I don't know if this helps, but I'm on an LAN server, and judging by the other pings, I'd guess that so does Weatherman and maybe a few others. It may be faster if done on my (sometimes running) server, maybe not, since I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it could be worth a shot.
:^)

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 12:50 AM         
I was wondering what the actual effect of pings were anyway. I imagine that low pings get you into a game faster, but i thought the server sent battle data to everyone at the same rate? I had several moments of dead controls throught the game.... What do the server people know about this?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 01:09 AM            
I think the 2 server idea is most likely what we are going to have to do next DDM.

But, i was thinking having a sign up sheet for people to play the DDM in the afternoon and at night. Having 10 people max on each server. And if someone trys to play through the night DDM, Skan can just boot them off.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 04:19 AM            
Dudes,I'll get the T3.If not to proud to beg

IP:

JL
posted May 14, 2001 08:22 AM            
For me it is cpu lag. I was only churning out 8 - 12 fps at low res. My computer can only hanlde about 10 tanks at a time. I had some bandwidth lag but it only lasted about 10 maybe 15 seconds at a time then cleared up. Not that bad for all those people.
Even with the cpu lag it was still pretty playable just annoying and hard on the eyes.

IP: