|
Author Topic:   ddm #5, WOW what a turn out!
Rex R
posted May 13, 2001 09:26 PM            
12 or more ppl at the ddm at times as high as 16. only wish it didn't take me 5 minutes to join the games[sigh] and if wishes were horses... och well fun time was had by all(I think) good games ppl

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 13, 2001 09:40 PM            
way to many people, I got 15th on one of the matches. A new system for these DDMs is going to have to be developed

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

JVortex
posted May 13, 2001 09:44 PM            
hell no! i like it just the way it is! heh, i got 1st place for the first time with that many people logged in (and some of those specific people logged in ).

looks like if the turnout is gonna be that high again we will have to do it in shifts. one group on the server, then the next and the highest ranking ones go to a 3rd round, but what a pain.

all in all that kas a kick a$$ match! great game all around guys!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited May 13, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted May 13, 2001 10:01 PM            
lag was really bad. really couldnt play.i think it affected dial up connections the most. although it stopped as soon as people started logging off. i spent most of my time either frozen or spinning around. i might not win but iwould at least like to participate.i wont name no names but some of u guys kept on fraggin me when u knew i was frozen... padding that score.

IP:

lordbyron
posted May 13, 2001 10:22 PM            
I agree with Kong. Altho' I enjoyed the turn-out, Play was made impossible by the destructive lags in the action. I ended up rather paralyzed by it. (But I'd still like to try it again.) Something is always better than nothing.

--lb

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 13, 2001 10:24 PM         
Good game everybody! That was total chaos!

Lagging was a definite problem. Kong, I was probably one of those people and I am sorry. I killed whoever was in my path that wasn't chatting.
I have a fast connection, and I am sure that helped my score as well. I have no plans on getting a dialup, so we need to make some changes to the DDM system. Just FYI, I was lagging at the same times other were - the whole system was bogged down. I assume that any sitting ducks I took (I will admit to 2) were in the process of joining the game.

Some recommendations for DDM #6:

2 servers - top 3 players after 3 games play the other top 3 player for 2 games , highest total frags wins overall.

Overall winner of the last DDM does not play in the next DDM(ensuring that no one dominates). Maybe after 10 or so DDMS we can have a battle of overall winners.

That was really a tremendous game. Everybody was playing very sharp.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 13, 2001 11:03 PM            
the only real bad thing about this DDM, is that the winners weren't neccessarily the best players. They were the best players with the best ping.

------------------

IP:

TREAD_THIS
posted May 13, 2001 11:48 PM            
Someone slap me with a blown-off turret. This is what I get for not keeping up with reading the BB.

I knew something was very, very, very odd with 15-20 people playing but hey, who's going to complain! Shoot now and
investigate later, right?

I didn't know DDM #5 was tonight but aside from my stupidity (am I dumber for posting this?!?!?) it was great fun. Next time I'll tape the Sopranos and not leave early.

My lag problems were at the same time as everyone else and I use a cable modem.

-tread_this

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 14, 2001 12:07 AM         
Hey coax,
We could play again on a more level playing field. I hate to think that I had an unfair advantage.
Seriously and sincerely,
The Weatherman

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 12:09 AM            
I have to resort to 56K to play on line and believe me,it hurt!Basically like Kong said,you would just spin around in circles or it would go in a straight line and wouldn't stop.Thats different from the times when everybody was effected and said "lag".And that not to mention the half dozen screen freezes in the first 2 games.Those with dial-up know what i'm talking about.
Forget about that 2 servers crap.The next one is going to be on a T3.I'm friends with a guy who owns a computer networking business who has a T3.I'm going to ask him to host the next one since its doing nothing on Sunday evenings.Everybody......try and find a fast connection,like T1 or higher,to host the next DDM just in case He won't let me use the T3.If everything works out right,hosting 20 people on one server would boast no lag at all(unless its on your end )
I did have a good time,but the lag in the DDM was ridiculous and definantly not playible.

IP:

synack
posted May 14, 2001 12:04 PM         
Despite the lag, the confusion, the utter chaos ... I had a hoot! What a blast seeing so many online at one time!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 14, 2001 01:25 PM            
I'm going to have to plan on using a campus computer for the next DDM. HAve a nice straight T3

------------------

IP: