|
Author Topic:   TM Freezes
GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 02, 2001 10:50 PM            
Ok it doesn't freeze as in freeze but it freezes as in freeze??? After the count down tm just stops working. I've treid touching NO keys OR mouse. Then waiting. It goes for about 4 second more then stops yet again. IM TRAPPEd. It worked fine before. I don't know what would be hindering its working. Please help. I think i have a Diamond Viper V770D graphics card. I've nevr tried looking up anything about my system before Im not sure if that is graphics card. All i know is thats what i found

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 03, 2001 04:28 AM            
Hers a new one.Scan for viruses.I had a worm virus on my computer and it would cause TM to crash after one online game.Weird stuff,the mp3 files would start loading eratically and the video would crap out and lock my comp down.The worm would try to attach itself on anything going out from my modem,soooooooooooooooo,it would try to communicate to alt.comp and download viruses from set servers.It would cause TM to crash and sometimes it would cause the server to stop responding.It was a nasty little crtitter that would modify the wsock.dll file in the system dir.May have nothing to do with your problem,but I learned something new in the past week.You prob need a good virus scan anyway.
9 times out of ten its usually your video drivers.They just break down over time.Update them just in case.
Also,sometimes when you download a lot of shareware(like me),you find that it interferes with some of your programs.See if you installed anything new just before the problem arose.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 03, 2001 11:12 AM         
Are you running windows ME? If so you can restore your registry to a earlier point. This helps in the case of pesky shareware dervied problems. W2k might have this option, too. Also try ctrl-alt-del and killing any non-essential processes and close any other progs. HOpe you get back online soon, GA.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 03, 2001 06:31 PM            
Im sanning my c drive right now I hope it isn't virus. If so how would i fix all the stuff the virus would change? YIPERS! and i don't think i'll be able to search for a new graphic card or somethingy *Begins eating the mouse out of fear*

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

peeeto
posted May 03, 2001 07:58 PM         
GA - if you're running TM in full screen mode try windowed, and vice-versa.

that won't solve the underlying problem, but might make the symptom go away until you figure it out.

i had (still have?) almost the exact same problem after i "upgraded" my vid drivers and went to DirectX 8 and then to DirectX 8.0a. i just haven't had the time yet to re-install everything from scratch back to the settings that worked perfectly for me. so, i play TM in windowed mode always.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 04, 2001 12:32 AM            
If it turns out being a curupt or infected file,you'll have to replace it with the files on the Windoze CD or go to c:/Windows/Options/Cabs and replace the bad file in the C:/Windows/System dir.
I would also run scandisk or something like that.If you don't shut the computer down through the start menu,sometimes you get lost clusters and chains.
If you do get a critter,go to http://www.macafee.com and do a search for the virus or trojan.It'll tell you how to get rid of it if it can't be cleaned by the antivirus program.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 04, 2001 06:33 PM            
*grns sheepishly* my cpu is always suht down wrong! i hates it when my sisters do that!!!!! well. Im off to run scandisk

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted May 05, 2001 02:21 AM            
don't forget to defrag as well (best get something to read/do while you're doing this,it will prolly take some time )

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 06, 2001 12:07 AM            
How long might it take efor a 31.28 gig drive with 11. somethingy used? i haerd it was about an hour for each gig

------------------

IP:

KONG
posted May 06, 2001 12:43 AM            
my machine would freeze after evey two games when the level restarts. i changed the description to network server, so far so good

IP:

Rex R
posted May 06, 2001 01:48 AM            
GA can't give a definate answer since it varies from box to box. it takes mine bout an hour to do an 8gb (5 something used). there are some things you can do to speed it up; shut down all non essential programs and free up as much sys resources as poss, also disable anti-virus software when defraging. if nobody has run defrag before it will take a good bit of time, if you run it monthly it generally goes pretty 'fast'. nother thing check your root folder for odd files(like 'file000x.chk') these are usually left overs from scan disk(from the odd shut downs) and can prolly be deleted

IP:

Karldar
posted May 06, 2001 05:07 AM            
GA, it might be a good idea for you to dl Power Defrag. It simplifies and speeds up the defragmentation process so you don't have to mess with it. The url is www.PowerDefrag.com - give it a try, sucka!

------------------
I like pie!

IP: